Jets select EDGE Jachai Polite in round 3, 68th overall

jetskid007

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Talent is there. If he doesn't succeed its mental issues with him. Odd since he on the field is a very high effort.

For all we know his off the field effort is there too. The interview process was the most ridiculous thing I have seen with him. He doesn’t sound like a hood rat, he’s respectful, albeit short answered but seems like a nice kid. His tape is excellent. He plays hard, fast, has legit bend in the rush, a repertoire of rush techniques and a legit nose for the ball. Doing all this in the SEC playing against the top LT that came out. All offseason this kid was slotted a mid to late 1st rounder and one of the more polished pass rushers. I could care less who bought the hammy injury and this further proves how insignificant the 40 time really is. Give me the kid who shows up and Sunday and forces turnovers on over half his sacks. I really hope this kid makes 31 other GMs look silly. Hopefully he shows up ready to work his tail off in camp and can start from day one. 

• Like 1

I hope he comes with a chip on his shoulder and hes one of those guys that is out to prove the world wrong. 

When i watch his tape I'm like dang this is a legit pass rusher, cant believe we got that type of talent round 3.

I feel more comfortable knowing we have leaders on defense like Adams and Mosely to show him how to be a pro.

If he surprises and comes out giving us that edge pressure,  our defense could be a really good group. We have one of the best middle of defense groups in the NFL.  Dont get much better than the Williams wall, Mosely and Williamson,and Adams. 

Hope we bring Claiborne back.

The ol is the only position that worries me, wr is solis if healthy. But i think Osemele will be like a Damien Woody signing,  come here and be a top 5 guard. Hopefully Harrison can be solid at center or we make a move to grab one.

• Like 1

Guys like this should not fall into round 3.  I don't care what you 40 says or if you got a little frustrated with the interview questions at 21.  This guy can get to the QB and adding him and Q to our DL is something special.

If Tru bounces back and Jones steps up as #2 CB I feel we could be a top 5 defense.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Guys like this should not fall into round 3.  I don't care what you 40 says or if you got a little frustrated with the interview questions at 21.  This guy can get to the QB and adding him and Q to our DL is something special.

If Tru bounces back and Jones steps up as #2 CB I feel we could be a top 5 defense.

I'd be very shocked if it wasn't top 10.  

18 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I would really like to see a young corner start. Even if Mo gets signed. I want Jones and Clark to play and even see what we have in the little dude with dreds in year two. Our corners were atrocious last year, can’t get worse especially with more pressure up front. Let the kids play.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I would really like to see a young corner start. Even if Mo gets signed. I want Jones and Clark to play and even see what we have in the little dude with dreds in year two. Our corners were atrocious last year, can’t get worse especially with more pressure up front. Let the kids play.

Clark is pretty much a goner at this point but Jones in his limited time stood out and made plays even more so then Nickerson.  I really think Jones can be a starting CB in this league and this will be his year to prove that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Clark is pretty much a goner at this point but Jones in his limited time stood out and made plays even more so then Nickerson.  I really think Jones can be a starting CB in this league and this will be his year to prove that.

Yeah I hope so, was never really a fan of how our last coaching staff played our corners. Bowles’ staff was horrible. This season should at least be exciting.

• Like 1

I think this guy needs to play at whatever weight he is comfortable at. Clearly making him gain weight wasn't the best for him. If he can gain 0-5lbs of muscle that'd be great. But if he cant, don't make him gain 5-10lbs just to gain it.

On 5/1/2019 at 12:22 PM, ekill08x said:

Yeah I hope so, was never really a fan of how our last coaching staff played our corners. Bowles’ staff was horrible. This season should at least be exciting.

I still can’t get over the fact that Bowles didn’t play Jones more once his starting CBs got injured. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/27/2019 at 8:27 AM, jetskid007 said:

I just hope that he really had a bum hammy and wasn't copping out. The tape does show a guy who has bend and honestly I don't care about straight-line speed (Joey Bosa ran a 4.88 with a 32" vertical jump). My biggest concern is not seeing those other testing numbers and the mentality he had at the combine, as if everyone else was to blame but himself. He's taken ownership and says he's learned, but I don't know if that's genuine yet. Time will tell. He doesn't seem like a bad seed; needs proper guidance which we should be able to give as DowNY pointed out.

Just worried about him as he gives me major Shane Ray vibes. 

Haven't been able to take the time to discuss, but this is a shame. I think the Jets properly gave up on Polite after all we now know, and it's pretty clear that Gase was not on-board with the pick. I get why they cut him, but knowing we wasted the 68th pick on a player stings tremendously. Terry McLaurin would've been the right pick at that spot. We don't know what kind of player he'll be yet, but we do know he's capable of playing all 3 receiver spots, is a tremendous special teamer, and has starting-caliber upside. Would've been the perfect WR4 this year with the upside to be a rock-solid #2. He was drafted 76 overall. The other would've been Chase Winovich, who went 77th.