Jets select EDGE Jachai Polite in round 3, 68th overall

jetskid007

37 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Haven't been able to take the time to discuss, but this is a shame. I think the Jets properly gave up on Polite after all we now know, and it's pretty clear that Gase was not on-board with the pick. I get why they cut him, but knowing we wasted the 68th pick on a player stings tremendously. Terry McLaurin would've been the right pick at that spot. We don't know what kind of player he'll be yet, but we do know he's capable of playing all 3 receiver spots, is a tremendous special teamer, and has starting-caliber upside. Would've been the perfect WR4 this year with the upside to be a rock-solid #2. He was drafted 76 overall. The other would've been Chase Winovich, who went 77th. 

We have also seen the best WR in football go for a 3rd round pick and change; and also a franchised edge pass rusher for a little over 3rd round value. Makes it even more discouraging. 

I would of kept him around and le him loose on third downs to start with but let’s be real. If he was ripping it up he wouldn’t of been released. He’s not shown any quality and added to his conduct of the field it’s an easy cut. Him being the 68th pick in the draft just makes it more ****ty. 

3 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Mac was truly awful. He gave Idzik a run for his money. Going through those two GMs back to back is brutal for this franchise.

Agreed. I honestly dont want to trade a single draft pick going into next years draft unless its just too good to be true. We need Douglas to really put his imprint on this roster. Macagnan was truly a disaster. Not a closer, couldn't make decisions, had zero business running a team. Yes the timing of the firing was bad, but at least we have people in the building that are serious and know what they are doing. 

16 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Mac was truly awful. He gave Idzik a run for his money. Going through those two GMs back to back is brutal for this franchise.

At least Macc got us some quality players (see Leo, Robby, Shell, Adams, Maye, Herndon) and a potential franchise QB in Darnold. Maybe we stumbled into it, but he'll forever deserve credit for making that trade when he did. He also was better-than-average in FA. The biggest whiff has been Trumaine Johnson, but he still has a lot of time to prove his worth. 

There is no getting worse than Idzik. Sheldon Richardson, Geno Smith, Brian Winters, and Quincy Enunwa are the only players that he drafted worthy of a roster spot. 

Either way, I'm glad we're on a new path. It seems like there is a newfound confidence in this group, and I think Douglas will do a much better job at drafting late than Macc did. I can't say that I know this intimately, but just  hearing some of the stories on Douglas and his ability to find talent, you have to feel encouraged. Macc was able to make the obvious choice, but it's hitting on the non-obvious ones that will get us over the hump on a year to year basis. 

9 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Rich Kotite has to be the worst GM of Jets all times.

Probably, but imho we have had some bad ones. Al Ward’s teams won 6 games in two years, Walton’s teams were12-19-1, Steinberg’s were 32-48, Idzik and Mac probably come next but even Ewbank’s last 4 years were a dismal 21-35. Guys like Bradway  and Tanny probably benefited from having teams designed by  coaches like Percells and Mangini that either left solid teams or had a strong influence in the draft.

Jim Kensil was probably our most successful having drafted Klecko, Gastineau, Toon, McNeil, Mehl, Walker, Marvin Powell, Chris Ward, Sweeney, and Shuler. He did oversee our biggest mistake ever, taking O’Brien over Marino. Kenny was decent and taking him at 24 would have been a smart move if Marino wasn’t available. Parcells biggest mistake might have been close to our not drafting Marino. He traded down  twice to take James Farrior. We were had the 1st pick (HOFer Orlando Pace) but traded down to 6 and added a 3rd.  He than traded down from the 6th pick (HOF Walter Jones) to 8.Where we got Farrior and a 4th

2 hours ago, Rich51 said:

Probably, but imho we have had some bad ones. Al Ward’s teams won 6 games in two years, Walton’s teams were12-19-1, Steinberg’s were 32-48, Idzik and Mac probably come next but even Ewbank’s last 4 years were a dismal 21-35. Guys like Bradway  and Tanny probably benefited from having teams designed by  coaches like Percells and Mangini that either left solid teams or had a strong influence in the draft.

Jim Kensil was probably our most successful having drafted Klecko, Gastineau, Toon, McNeil, Mehl, Walker, Marvin Powell, Chris Ward, Sweeney, and Shuler. He did oversee our biggest mistake ever, taking O’Brien over Marino. Kenny was decent and taking him at 24 would have been a smart move if Marino wasn’t available. Parcells biggest mistake might have been close to our not drafting Marino. He traded down  twice to take James Farrior. We were had the 1st pick (HOFer Orlando Pace) but traded down to 6 and added a 3rd.  He than traded down from the 6th pick (HOF Walter Jones) to 8.Where we got Farrior and a 4th

Great post Rich, I don't remember us trading down from the #1 pick to get a third round pick. If we did something like that today there would be a riot. Overall our draft history over the years has been horrible. Your point about Jim Kensil is correct, at that time I was not upset with us not taking Dan Marino, who did not have a big senior year at Pitt. at that period of time I never thought he would be a great pro QB. never did most GM's at that time.

5 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Great post Rich, I don't remember us trading down from the #1 pick to get a third round pick. If we did something like that today there would be a riot. Overall our draft history over the years has been horrible. Your point about Jim Kensil is correct, at that time I was not upset with us not taking Dan Marino, who did not have a big senior year at Pitt. at that period of time I never thought he would be a great pro QB. never did most GM's at that time.

We also got a 4th and 7th in the Pace trade. Still not much and neither player worth mentioning. The 3rd rounder was a decent OL named Dan Neil but somehow he was drafted by Denver. I don’t know what we got for him. In the Jones trade, the 4th rounder was Leon Washington. I remember him having some good moments.