Jets select EDGE Jachai Polite in round 3, 68th overall

jetskid007

8 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I just hope that he really had a bum hammy and wasn't copping out. The tape does show a guy who has bend and honestly I don't care about straight-line speed (Joey Bosa ran a 4.88 with a 32" vertical jump). My biggest concern is not seeing those other testing numbers and the mentality he had at the combine, as if everyone else was to blame but himself. He's taken ownership and says he's learned, but I don't know if that's genuine yet. Time will tell. He doesn't seem like a bad seed; needs proper guidance which we should be able to give as DowNY pointed out.

Just worried about him as he gives me major Shane Ray vibes. 

Shane Ray sucked in college though

22 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Shane Ray sucked in college though

Huh? Shane Ray was the SEC DPOY in 2014 with 14.5 sacks. Never liked his tape though, I think Polite is far more fluid and has more natural bend. If he can get his head straight I love the pick.

5 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Huh? Shane Ray was the SEC DPOY in 2014 with 14.5 sacks. Never liked his tape though, I think Polite is far more fluid and has more natural bend. If he can get his head straight I love the pick.

Shane Ray was good in college, but man i hated his tape too.  If he didn't win with his first step then he just was done.  Had no other moves or anything else.  

3 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Shane Ray was good in college, but man i hated his tape too.  If he didn't win with his first step then he just was done.  Had no other moves or anything else.  

I don't necessarily think they had the same games, what I mean is from an athletic profile standpoint

Heard that some GMs are not buying the hamstring thing. Tend to agree. If you knew your hamstring was an issue, you shouldn’t have run. So he either doesn’t care or he lost a step at the higher weight. Either way, it was a bad decision. It would have taking one timed practice run tell you your 40 was going to be slow. 

My gut tells me he just put on bad weight. His playing weight was closer to 240. Our strength guys are going to be key. I would prefer him to play at 250 if it means he gets his athleticism back. 

It’s crazy how much he dropped. He and Burns were probably right there with similar concerns. One put on weight and kept his athleticism. The other put on weight and bombed. 

Our two 3rd round guys seem like immature guys. They’ll make or break this draft class. I’m hoping our strength and medical staff come up big. Polite already knows how rush the passer.

Edited by SDotNova

When I hear that Jachai Polite has character issues it honestly drives me crazy. Do some people honest know what character issues are? He times bad at the combine and clearly the questions that were asked he was unprepared for and probably got frustrated. His post interviews you can tell he’s extremely genuine but he’s not the most eloquent speaker. He had trouble developing his answers even at his pro day. It’s not his thing. However he sounded like a nice kid who wished he would of had some more preparation. Never was it said he was lazy or unmotivated or that he has off the field issues, or that he’s a jerk. Those are character issues. Hopefully he works his tail off and comes ready to work because he was drafted to start day one let’s be honest. I personally liked this pick.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

When I hear that Jachai Polite has character issues it honestly drives me crazy. Do some people honest know what character issues are? He times bad at the combine and clearly the questions that were asked he was unprepared for and probably got frustrated. His post interviews you can tell he’s extremely genuine but he’s not the most eloquent speaker. He had trouble developing his answers even at his pro day. It’s not his thing. However he sounded like a nice kid who wished he would of had some more preparation. Never was it said he was lazy or unmotivated or that he has off the field issues, or that he’s a jerk. Those are character issues. Hopefully he works his tail off and comes ready to work because he was drafted to start day one let’s be honest. I personally liked this pick.

Doesn’t seem like character issues to me either. He does seem immature though. That’s what a couple of us have suggested. 

Not preparing properly for one of the biggest days of your life is a sign of immaturity and/or a guy who didn’t surround himself with the right advisers. 

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

I think him at 245/250 would be optimal, his agent should be fired for telling him to get up to 260 like that. Listened to a few interviews of him and he seems like a well spoken, hard working Kid.

I don’t think it was a bad decision to go up to 260. Some guys can put on weight and still run fast. Seems like he just put in bad weight. Had he ran well, he would have been fine. The bad decision was actually running. Also staying at 260 knowing how much slower you got was a bad decision.  His agent should have told him not to run or to drop weight. 

Seems like a waterfall of bad circumstances. Hopefully we benefit from it, because his tape is really good. I like guys that can actually beat you with more than just speed. 

Edited by SDotNova