3[75]: Jace Sternberger [TE; Texas A&M]

Packerraymond

2 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

This is just terrible logic through and through. 

You absolutely look for players with "pro bowl potential" on day 2 especially when talking skill positions. 

Good thing we got two of those guys yesterday then! Otherwise, what a waste, huh? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReadyToThump said:

When I say "pro bowl potential" I do not literally mean "HE BETTER MAKE THE PRO BOWL or he's a bust!!!!"

I used it as a lazy measuring stick of talent, specifically for Sternberger. One that I thought people could figure out without taking it too literally and me having to explain. 

I"m going to enjoy reminding you of this thread when this kid turns into a stud TE for us. 

BTW, I hope someone does the same for me when Gary is terrorizing the league too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I"m going to enjoy reminding you of this thread when this kid turns into a stud TE for us. 

BTW, I hope someone does the same for me when Gary is terrorizing the league too. 

I truly hope this happens. People always misconstrue having doubts or second guessing a draft pick as "hating". That's not always the case!

Also, I hope you're proved wrong with Gary aswell. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

I truly hope this happens. People always misconstrue having doubts or second guessing a draft pick as "hating". That's not always the case!

Also, I hope you're proved wrong with Gary as well. 

I completely agree with your post. As the saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I really like the kid and am warming to Gary. They are Packers and I'm sure we are both hoping for the best from all of them.

• Like 1

I like Stenberger, had him at 75 in a lot of mocks I did. Seems like a smooth athlete and like the Ertz comparisons even if he is Ertz lite. Also, Like his confidence and seems like he is excited to be a Packer. 

It is kind of a pointless conversation but was anyone else hoping for Terry Mclaurin there or are most happy with Stenberger over him?

3 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

I like Stenberger, had him at 75 in a lot of mocks I did. Seems like a smooth athlete and like the Ertz comparisons even if he is Ertz lite. Also, Like his confidence and seems like he is excited to be a Packer. 

It is kind of a pointless conversation but was anyone else hoping for Terry Mclaurin there or are most happy with Stenberger over him?

i was kind of expecting mclaurin. 

9 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

I was hoping Sternberger and they took him. Don't know if that's ever happened before.

• Like 1

CHTV:

"Sternberger's ability to play in-line and block in the run game or line up wide in the slot as a pass catcher gives Green Gay a lot of versatility at the tight end position. Sternberger's game compliments well what Jimmy Graham already brings to the field"

What They’re Saying:

“After the semi-failed Jimmy Graham experiment, the Packers add a tight end with dynamic receiving upside.” – The Draft Network

“He's very fluid and instinctive. He can really stretch the field, you can flex him out. They're going to use him the same way the Eagles use Zach Ertz.” -- Daniel Jeremiah from NFL.com

“If he were bigger and less of a gather-up runner, Sternberger would have Zach Ertz-level potential. But even as he is, he can be a perennial 60-catch threat with big-play capabilities who can also make a positive contribution in the running game. He’s an ideal fit in Matt LaFleur’s McVay/Shanahan-scented offense because of his versatility as an in-line tight end.” – Mike Tanier from Bleacher Report

Other Options on the Board:

The Packers passed up speedy Ohio State wide receiver Terry McClaurin and Michigan defensive end Chase Winovich to select Sternberger. Both McClaurin and Winovich came off the board the next two picks. Green Bay also chose Sternberger over other young promising tight end prospects, like Dawson Knox out of Ole Miss and San Diego State's Kahale Warring.

8 hours ago, Lodestar said:

I was hoping Sternberger and they took him. Don't know if that's ever happened before.

The signs were there and you read them right. MLF needed a TE to mold, Hock and Fant were too pricey in terms of draft capital, we had had him in for a visit, and he was there at the right intersection of need/value/and on the clock. 

Packer SEC scout walls called him a late bloomer physically.  Gute suggested he has more in him than that combine 40 suggests. 

Late bloomers sometimes continue to get bigger, faster, stronger into their 20s. See Clay Matthews. 

You don’t draft a player for what he is right now. You draft them for what he’s going to be. It’s called foresight, having vision. 

Kenny Clark is a perfect example. He wasn’t a late bloomer. He was 20 years old.  But if he went to the combine now you can bet he’s gonna jump better than 28 and run better than a 4.6 shuttle.

Use the combine but then have some foresight with it when dealing with still developing players. Listening to the Packers, they think Jace is a late bloomer and is still getting bigger, faster and stronger. Let’s see if they’re right.

And having some foresight, I really like the scout Walls. Good person, I can tell he’s socially gifted and gets along with the guys. He’s smart and driven. I’ll bet he’s a GM some day. 

• Like 1

Now, I’ll also add this. Sometimes the Packers are dead wrong with their foresight. So we’ll see.

But at the end of the day Gute isn’t going to be measured on one piece here or there. It’s a whole picture. TT fleeced hoodie with Matthews and Jennings but hoodie still gets a winning grade because overall he wins.

Overall, Gute needs to win. Period.

On a side note, an 8-8 season with some bad injury luck wouldn’t hurt me too bad this year. Next year is year 2 of the offense and year 3 of the defense. I wouldn’t mind one more year of a top 15 pick and a higher 2nd rounder. Gute needs to win next year and every year after.