3[75]: Jace Sternberger [TE; Texas A&M]

Packerraymond

7 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Its really odd... by far the least "athletic" guy we drafted but just looks so smooth.

He's pretty athletic I think.  It just doesn't manifest in normal numbers.  Also gute says they had him at 4.66.  At 4.66 and 6-4... that's really athletic even without the extreme jumping numbers.  Probably somewhere in the 70th percentile of NFL TEs.

Edited by skibrett15
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

He's pretty athletic I think.  It just doesn't manifest in normal numbers.  Also gute says they had him at 4.66.  At 4.66 and 6-4... that's really athletic even without the extreme jumping numbers.  Probably somewhere in the 70th percentile of NFL TEs.

If I remember the way RAS works, he’s still technically more athletic than half the qualifying testers by being in the 5.0+ range. Also, it’s funny but if you look at GB’s history at TE, it’s the one position that they are all over the map on. No clear thresholds except 40 time and Sternberger makes it. 

I’m still not a huge fan of the pick, but I can’t honestly say I liked anyone but the Iowa guys much more. To me, the depth of this TE was very much overrated by the pundits. 

Zach Kruse‏:

Jace Sternberger pick could end up being the best in the Packers class. His play speed wasn't noticeably different than Noah Fant, just didn't run 4.5.
Sternberger is the more natural receiver. Better YAC, too. If he ends up being the more productive pro, I won't be surprised.

Sternberger is a guy where you just have to trust the scouts because I don't think the testing numbers match up with what you see on tape. A lot like Jermichael coming out of Texas in '08.

Probably not surprising that both Jace and Jermichael were third-round picks. Not identical players, but nearly identical draft situations. Guessing the payoff for GB will be similar too.

Has Jace been compared to Tyler Higbee at all? I looked up Higbees’ stats and they are uninspiring, but he is at least averaging a couple hundred yards and a TD every year. I just remember hearing that Higbee was tall, slim, straight line fast, and used right up the seams. 

11 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Has Jace been compared to Tyler Higbee at all? I looked up Higbees’ stats and they are uninspiring, but he is at least averaging a couple hundred yards and a TD every year. I just remember hearing that Higbee was tall, slim, straight line fast, and used right up the seams. 

FWIW

Josh Oliver was the one that reminded me of Higbee. 

Jace Sternberger reminds me of Todd Heap. 

2 hours ago, Cadmus said:

FWIW

Josh Oliver was the one that reminded me of Higbee. 

Jace Sternberger reminds me of Todd Heap. 

Don't see Todd Heap.  Sternberger is probably more of a receiving threat than Heap, and don't see him being the blocker that Heap was.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Don't see Todd Heap.  Sternberger is probably more of a receiving threat than Heap, and don't see him being the blocker that Heap was.

Agree. He's gonna have to bulk up a bit more before he's gonna be doing any serious inline blocking.

40 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm talking about young Todd Heap, not injury riddled veteran Todd Heap. The guy played for 12 season so I'm not sure if you recall, but he came into the NFL a little underdeveloped and he wasn't some impact blocker as a young player. He was merely functional. 

Heap was also an 800+ yard receiver his 2nd year in the NFL. If he played in this era (started his career in or around the 2010s) he would've been Top 10 in career receiving yards for TEs. 

Identical build (1/2" difference in height), both play in the high 4.6s, similar ability after the catch, and both can high point the ball. 

I think the comparison is uncanny frankly. 

eJMmDh.gif 

Young Todd Heap was smooth as hell before the injuries started to cause problems. 

Edited by Cadmus

9 hours ago, Leader said:

Agree. He's gonna have to bulk up a bit more before he's gonna be doing any serious inline blocking.

Couple thoughts:

1.  I think having a pass-catching option is more important than having a serious inline blocker.  So *IF* we had to compromise on one or the other, I believe they chose wisely?

2.  Serious inline blocking is helpful.  But to some degree non-serious "get-in-the-way" blocking can often function in the pass game, and to some degree running game as well.

3.  The pass sets up the run.  So to some degree, a pass-receiving threat who's more of a "get-in-the-way" blocker than a serious power-drive blocker may actually do as much or more for the run game? 

4.  Guys can get bigger and stronger.  (Cad's Todd Heap example....)

5.  A risk with bulking up is that sometimes bulk costs the speed and flexibility that makes a guy a good pass target in the first place, the very thing that stood out.  So I'd be a little cautious with that.

6.  Blocking requires strength, but certainly there's more to blocking than bulk.  Richard Rodgers had plenty of bulk, it was very easy to envision him become a powerful serious inline drive-blocker.  Only, he never became more than a poor blocker, despite his bulk.  

7.  The Packers believe and project that Jace may improve his strength and blocking.  They may be right.  But as with Rodgers, projected improvements don't always actually happen.  So, we shall see.  We all hope that Jace can improve his strength and blocking and become a pretty good blocker, without losing his aptitude as a pass catcher.  We're Packer fans, so of course we're all hoping for the best!

I like the pick, especially if we look to the future.  Jace is still a work in progress and there's a lot to like there.  I still feel like Tonyan is the better athlete and will be a better pass catcher, seam stretcher.  But Jace will do well underneath and on play action passes.  I like that young combo moving forward.