3[75]: Jace Sternberger [TE; Texas A&M]

Packerraymond

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Here's a professional athlete. That's not an excuse.

It doesn't mean that he can't get better, but it doesn't look good on his prospects of performing this year.

He only had four years in a college weight room. 

All joking aside, while not being an intimidating presence, at all, JS could be a late bloomer and eventually come into his peak physically a few years down the road. 

However, I feel somewhat dubious about us spending a 3rd round pick on a skinny ginger TE who was playing WR just a short time ago. All joking aside. 

IIRC Chmura was a scrawny rookie too FWIW. The holdout scares me a bit. There's always an underlying reason and it's never good. He certainly looked every bit as good as the other top TE's in this class. Ed West he isn't. As with the other rookies, we'll know more soon enough.

Edited by cannondale

Just now, cannondale said:

IIRC Chmura was a scrawny rookie too FWIW. The holdout scares me a bit. There's always an underlying reason and it's never good. He certainly looked every bit as good as the other top TE's in this class. Ed West he isn't

Was he a holdout?

My understanding was that there was a peculiarity about slotting 3rd round pick salaries and that the process would take a while, which it did.

5 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Was he a holdout?

My understanding was that there was a peculiarity about slotting 3rd round pick salaries and that the process would take a while, which it did.

If true I stand corrected. I haven't heard that. Also holdout is the wrong word, but you guys know what I mean

Edited by cannondale

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

If true I stand corrected. I haven't heard that. Also holdout is the wrong word, but you guys know what I mean

I believe due to some language in their contracts, 3rd round picks are often signed very late.

Chicago signed David Montgomery just two days ago, Colts singed Bobby Okereke two days ago, etc etc. All were 3rd rounders.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Here's a professional athlete. That's not an excuse.

It doesn't mean that he can't get better, but it doesn't look good on his prospects of performing this year.

Being 22 can be. Some people's bodies don't mature/add weight until later in life when the man muscle comes. I was a bean pole until 26 despite lots and lots of lifting and eating.

They don't all have Kenny Clark genes!

Honestly was anyone really expecting big things from Sternberger this year?  He's not getting on the field ahead of Graham, so all those snaps are out.  He's not much of a blocker, so he's not taking any kind of snaps that are likely to involve blocking, those will go to Lewis.  He's basically fighting Tonyan and the depth receivers to see who occasionally gets the Slot/move TE/etc. snaps.  If he's not ready to see the field this year, hard to see that affecting more than 5-10% of the snaps at most, assuming no serious injuries to the TE group.

10 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Honestly was anyone really expecting big things from Sternberger this year?  He's not getting on the field ahead of Graham, so all those snaps are out.  He's not much of a blocker, so he's not taking any kind of snaps that are likely to involve blocking, those will go to Lewis.  He's basically fighting Tonyan and the depth receivers to see who occasionally gets the Slot/move TE/etc. snaps.  If he's not ready to see the field this year, hard to see that affecting more than 5-10% of the snaps at most, assuming no serious injuries to the TE group.

All true for this year. Since I believe that Graham and Lewis will be gone after this year, 2020 will be a whole different kettle of fish. Unless the Packers go and get another veteran TE at the end of the year, it looks (to me) like it will be Sternberger, Tonyan, maybe Roberts as a blocking TE (was the Lions 4th round pick in 2017). A very young room, compared to now.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

Lets see him work and pads and in the preseason with how he fares, appearances can be deceiving, the guy will grow as he hits the weight room, and after next off-season he'll probably grow even more. I know this isn't college, but he played bigger than he is. Not expecting him to take over Graham this year, but I can see him catching 20 balls if we run a lot of 2 TE sets.