3[75]: Jace Sternberger [TE; Texas A&M]

Packerraymond

8 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

I mean, I have faith he can be a decent player. I just don't see him as a pro bowl caliber guy, ya know. I could be wrong. Hope I am!

Looking for "pro bowl caliber guy" with any day 2 or later pick is a classic.

• Like 1

I sincerely hope we don't consider whether a player can make a pro bowl or not when judging what player to pick. I would like to think that Gute is looking at things a bit more in depth than that. But maybe that's why I'm failing the draft contest this year.

2 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I sincerely hope we don't consider whether a player can make a pro bowl or not when judging what player to pick. I would like to think that Gute is looking at things a bit more in depth than that. But maybe that's why I'm failing the draft contest this year.

When I say "pro bowl potential" I do not literally mean "HE BETTER MAKE THE PRO BOWL or he's a bust!!!!"

I used it as a lazy measuring stick of talent, specifically for Sternberger. One that I thought people could figure out without taking it too literally and me having to explain. 

It may be that being a really good pass catcher might provide ProBowl potential?  For example, the guy works out in the NFL conditioning world, and gets stronger and improves his blocking power.  He's already fluid and coordinated with good footwork, so with more power and good bending and leverage capacity, he develops into a capable blocker.  Meanwhile, hypothetically he's really good at going out for passes, and really good at catching those the QB puts within his radius.  And hypothetically he's both studious, smart, and instinctive about finding seams and vulnerabilities, and in understanding the QB's situation, so that he becomes a well trusted target for the QB.  QB comes to trust hypothetical TE as a guy who will always be an option when other things aren't opening up, and when the QB is under pressure or on the run, or when you're looking for a first down or whatever.  A safety net guy who ends up getting a lot of touches.  Those are a lot of hypotheticals, but those hypotheticals could indeed provide really good value and ProBowl potential, why not? 

Other poster saw some Adam Thielen resemblance. Not the fastest, not the measurables king, but super coordinated, really smooth, amazing hands, makes all the catches, and has a knack for setting up defenders and getting them a little off balance, and then getting some separation as a result.  **IF** Sternberger had those kinds of qualities, he could potentially become a Pro Bowl guy even with his present measurables.  

Likely, not at all.  But the possibility is there.  

16 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

When I say "pro bowl potential" I do not literally mean "HE BETTER MAKE THE PRO BOWL or he's a bust!!!!"

I used it as a lazy measuring stick of talent, specifically for Sternberger. One that I thought people could figure out without taking it too literally and me having to explain. 

Gotcha. Like I said I hope Gute is looking for more specific things.

Any selection you're compromising something.  Speed, size,, Wonderlic, college production level, fit, personality, raw, needs development, etc..  

I've heard it said that for a development prospect, it takes 3 years now to get as many practice reps as might have been possible in one before the modern CBA.  There just really isn't all that much opportunity for a raw guy to get real field experience and have things slow down for him.  

Rookie contracts don't last as many years, either, which allows less time to spend on development before you're going to pay the guy anyway **IF** he does develop.  So some merit in preferring a guy whose mind can already process things quickly, and whose game won't need a ton of development.   

9 hours ago, fistfullofbeer said:

While watching Sternberger's highlights, I was a little surprised to see how 'small' he looked. Dude is tall enough but I think he needs to fill out a little bit so that he can help with blocking a little more.

I am still happy with this pick because I think he has the speed and size to play as WR if the TE position does not work out.

Yea he looks and is built like a slower Jeff Janis on tape not a TE.

Edited by St Vince

13 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Gotcha. Like I said I hope Gute is looking for more specific things.

That's why I'm somewhat confused with this pick. JS is a flex TE, he's not very strong, not particularly fast but runs good routes and has natural hands. I figured Gute and more specifically MLF would want a combo TE but I'm sure they will come up with some sort of game plan for him. 

Jace definitely has potential to make probowl imo. I put his odds second to Hock. Easily on a level with Hock as receiver. Both have amazing hands and good routes, and that's all that matters with AR. Not the blocker obviously. But watching and reading more, Gute is not lying when he says Jace is just a little below the Iowa TEs (and the pack loved Hock per Pauline).

I think he can be better than Finley. Love year two with Graham. Lewis is nice. Jace will be a star with AR. The more I watch the more I love.

And he is another option at that slot receiver. Feeling really good about Jace, one of very few weapons that make a difference for GB in day two.

And 3rd round you get probowlers at TE frequent enough. Jace is not just a consolation prize -- legit prospect. Legit steal here. Not a risk like Warring either.

Edited by JaireAlex

11 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Yea he looks and is built like a slower Jeff Janis on tape not a TE.

Given that he's carrying around 240 lbs in those highlights, I would say he's got room to grow in an NFL weight room.

2 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

That's why I'm somewhat confused with this pick. JS is a flex TE, he's not very strong, not particularly fast but runs good routes and has natural hands. I figured Gute and more specifically MLF would want a combo TE but I'm sure they will come up with some sort of game plan for him. 

I don't believe we're at the point in the draft where you pick based on how well they fit what you want to do. Sternberger's 2018, from a receiving standpoint, was probably the best out of all draftable tight ends. It's hard to pass that value up in the third round.

26 minutes ago, craig said:

Other poster saw some Adam Thielen resemblance. Not the fastest........

I couldnt tell you what Thielen does (or did) a 40 in, but I wouldnt want to be chasing him. He's plenty fast enough.

As I think will be Sternberger  -  plus, I'm fairly confident he's gonna get bulkier and stronger. Not inline blocking type bulkier/stronger - just......

Well, people keep comparing him to Ertz. Odd - but when I look at him I see more Tyler Eifert. The weights the same.....but Eifert's a couple inches taller.

5 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Given that he's carrying around 240 lbs in those highlights, I would say he's got room to grow in an NFL weight room.

I don't believe we're at the point in the draft where you pick based on how well they fit what you want to do. Sternberger's 2018, from a receiving standpoint, was probably the best out of all draftable tight ends. It's hard to pass that value up in the third round.

And I didnt.....in any simulated MD where both Hock and Fant got nabbed by other teams? Sternberger was my round 3 guy.
I like the pick. No complaints from me.

• Like 1