3[75]: Jace Sternberger [TE; Texas A&M]

Packerraymond

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Slower than any all pro TE in the last 10 years. 

3 schools in 4 years. 

I know just off the top of my head Ertz was slower, so that's incorrect.

He transferred to a JUCO and then got another D1 schollie. Second point is a completely irrelevant statement to me. Wasn't 3 D1 programs.

• Like 1

RichRod ran like he was waist deep in wet cement. It was painful to watch. Sternberger is no bolt of lightening, but his speed is adequate. If he were a 4.5 guy he would have gone much higher. Players fall because they have flaws. I think he is a solid pick who fills a need. Wouldn't mind seeing one more TE tomorrow.

Sternberger is an absolute natural with the ball in his hands. extremely fluid short quick steps, fantastic feet. just doesnt have the long speed. doesnt mean he cant get up to top speed fast, or break down fast. very coordinated athlete. hilarious that people think hes similar to Rich Rod, who basically looked like he was always trying to run through wet concrete.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I know just off the top of my head Ertz was slower, so that's incorrect.

He transferred to a JUCO and then got another D1 schollie. Second point is a completely irrelevant statement to me. Wasn't 3 D1 programs.

Couldn't get on the field at Kansas,went JUCO, turned in a good season in the TAMU super spread. 

You're correct on Ertz. Forgot he made it. When I compiled the numbers that was true.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Couldn't get on the field at Kansas,went JUCO, turned in a good season in the TAMU super spread. 

You're correct on Ertz. Forgot he made it. When I compiled the numbers that was true.

So he was on a college team that fires its staff every year, went to JUCO, balled out, got another D1 schollie, went to a creative offense and balled out.

Remind me again why I'm supposed to view this as a negative?

• Like 2

From Dane Brugler's "The Beast" guide.

6. JACE STERNBERGER | Texas A&M 6040 | 251 lbs. | rJR. Kingfisher, Okla. (Kingfisher) 6/26/1996 (age 22.84) #81

BACKGROUND: A three-star tight end recruit out of high school, Jace Sternberger was a three-sport star at Kingfisher, lettering in basketball, football and track (he was also an accomplished ballroom dancer and competed throughout middle school). After starting his high school career as a quarterback, he hit a six-inch growth spurt and moved to tight end and defensive end for his final two seasons. After helping Kingfisher to the 2013 state championship, Sternberger finished his senior year with 42 receptions for 390 yards and eight touchdowns, adding 21.0 sacks on defense. He wasn’t ranked among the top-50 tight ends in the 2015 recruiting cycle and committed to Kansas (his only offer from a Power Five program) as part of David Beaty’s first recruiting class. After redshirting in 2015 and seeing little action in 2016, Sternberger elected to transfer because tight end was underutilized in the Jayhawks’ offense. He enrolled at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M for the 2017 season (teammates with Utah State running back Darwin Thompson) and posted 21 catches for 336 yards and six scores, attracting attention from FBS programs. Sternberger was leaning toward Boise State until Jimbo Fisher was hired at Texas A&M and offered him a scholarship, becoming the first commitment of the Fisher era. His mother (Jackie) was a two-time All-American basketball player at Southeastern Oklahoma State in the late 1980s; his paternal grandfather played football at Southeastern Oklahoma. After one season in College Station, Sternberger decided to skip his senior year for the 2019 NFL Draft.

YEAR (GP/GS) REC YDS AVG TD NOTES 2015: Redshirted Kansas 2016: (10/0) 1 5 5.0 0 Kansas 2017: Northeastern Oklahoma A&M 2018: (13/12) 48 832 17.3 10 Texas A&M; Consensus All-American; First Team All-SEC; Led the FBS in TD catches among tight ends Total: (23/12) 49 837 17.1 10 HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP COMBINE 6040 251 32 1/8 09 3/4 77 1/4 4.75 2.82 1.70 31 1/2 09’05” 4.31 7.19 17 PRO DAY N/A (stood on Combine numbers; positional drills only)

STRENGTHS: Fleet of foot athlete…uses a swift release to quickly accelerate into his routes…strong to the football and finishes in crowded windows…comfortable working the middle of the field and skinny posts…highly competitive as a ball carrier and keeps his legs churning at contact, not going down easily…big-play threat due to his seam and YAC skills (six catches of 30-plus yards in 2018)…productive when the field shrinks, scoring five of his FBS-best 10 touchdowns in the red zone…willing blocker, using leverage and a hard shoulder…coaches speak highly of his work ethic and conditioning habits…highly productive 2018 season, including the school record for touchdown catches by a tight end (only the second FBS TE over the last decade with 17.3-plus yards per reception and 10-plus touchdowns in a season).

WEAKNESSES: Lean-muscled player and lacks ideal bulk…allows the ball to get on top of him at times…not a detailed route runner at this point in his development…inconsistent sink and snap when attempting to leverage route breaks…late to cut off rushers as an inline blocker…hands land wide, leading to offbalance reps at the point of attack…only one season of top-level production in college.

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Texas A&M, Sternberger quickly emerged as the centerpiece of the Aggies’ passing game, lining up split out, wing or inline. Despite only one season in College Station, he is one of the most productive tight ends in school history, setting the single-season records for receiving yards and touchdown catches. With his athleticism and toughness, Sternberger offers tremendous YAC and down-the-seam value, recording at least one 20-plus yard catch in 12 of 13 games in 2018 (44 percent of his catches resulted in a 20-plus yard play). He is a work-in-progress as both a route runner and blocker and his NFL ceiling will be closely tied to his development in both areas. Overall, Sternberger is a vertical pass-catching target with the athleticism and warrior toughness to be a mismatch weapon, projecting as an NFL joker tight end.

GRADE: 3rd Round (#87 overall)

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

Just now, Packer_ESP said:

So are we going to cite that as frequently as we cite the bastketball, baseball or wrestling background for other players? I'm down for "former dancer Jace"

Since the former basketball player thing didn't work out, let's try ballroom dancing. Why not?

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So he was on a college team that fires its staff every year, went to JUCO, balled out, got another D1 schollie, went to a creative offense and balled out.

Remind me again why I'm supposed to view this as a negative?

Didn't really ball out at the JUCO level. That's overstating things.

Who realistically looks bad in that TAMU offense?