No. 80 browns select Sione Takitaki

Kiwibrown

My comparison for this guy?

Dante Fowler 

Both players were hybrid LB/Edge players in college. Both have the ability to come off the edge but make splash plays coming from off the ball. If you’ll remember, very few of Fowler’s plays came from the edge in college. Takitaki is taking the opposite route into the pros and moving to SAM while Fowler moved almost exclusively to edge. Takitaki will be solid in coverage with speed to flow to the ball and strength to take on OL. I like the pick just wish it would’ve been a bit later. 

34 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

My comparison for this guy?

Dante Fowler 

Both players were hybrid LB/Edge players in college. Both have the ability to come off the edge but make splash plays coming from off the ball. If you’ll remember, very few of Fowler’s plays came from the edge in college. Takitaki is taking the opposite route into the pros and moving to SAM while Fowler moved almost exclusively to edge. Takitaki will be solid in coverage with speed to flow to the ball and strength to take on OL. I like the pick just wish it would’ve been a bit later. 

I am fairly certain this dude will be inactive most if not all games.  That youtube video someone shared last night sucked.  Most plays he was easily funneled away from the action and came streaking up several seconds after the olay had ended.  Granted, it had to be a video designed to make him look bad since he led the team in tackles, but mission accomplished.  It made him look like beau bell.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

I am fairly certain this dude will be inactive most if not all games.  That youtube video someone shared last night sucked.  Most plays he was easily funneled away from the action and came streaking up several seconds after the olay had ended.  Granted, it had to be a video designed to make him look bad since he led the team in tackles, but mission accomplished.  It made him look like beau bell.

He’s going to potentially take Jamie Collins spot. 

I think one of our picks ends up getting traded for a LB or we sign Zach Brown.

3 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

He’s going to potentially take Jamie Collins spot. 

I think one of our picks ends up getting traded for a LB or we sign Zach Brown.

This guy cant touch Collins shoes, much less fill them.  Collins still could make some splash plays even while giving half effort.  This kid looked like he was easy to take out of the play.

33 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Just read how much of a freak athlete he is with numbers and he has all of these high rated scores for athleticism and tackle rate. Seems like a pick made by the analytics team

Possible. But Dorsey has a history of loving guys with elite jump #s. And that's where Takitaki's athleticism shone through most strongly at the combine.

I think mack and takitaki are competing for one spot on the roster, kirkseys, neither can replace schobert as a defensive leader. Sione doesnt know football and mack isnt a leader. 

The only person on the team to replace schobert is kirksey

8 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think mack and takitaki are competing for one spot on the roster, kirkseys, neither can replace schobert as a defensive leader. Sione doesnt know football and mack isnt a leader. 

Kirksey is gone--this upcoming year is seeing who can fully take his spot between Mack/Takitaki. Given where they took Takitaki, I would believe he is in their future plans unless he completely tanks. That actually leaves Mack in a weird spot as being a rotational guy maybe on passing downs and Takitaki probably plays on early run downs.

11 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think mack and takitaki are competing for one spot on the roster,

Why’s that?  Guys like Hines and Armstrong were on the roster last season, these guys are taking their spots.

kirkseys, neither can replace schobert as a defensive leader.

Year 1?  Correct.  Next year?  Eh, maybe.

Sione doesnt know football

What?  This is nonsensical, what are you basing this on?

This year yes, but next year Avery will be in his 3rd year, just like Schobert was last year.

Schobert’s fine, but he’s hardly irreplaceable.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Defenses are changing with the times. Pretty soon teams will have 5 linebackers max on their roster.

Maybe, but they may also just have a more varied skill set.

Someone who can play specifically as a sub package guy, someone who can rush the passer, etc.

The thing about the numbers at LB is they make up a lot of your kick coverage teams.