Sign in to follow this  
Tyty

Chicago Drafts RB David Montgomery

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I have a personal different vision for offense, I want spread, space and speed mismatches from backfield.  From that standpoint I don't like the pick.  I'd rather have a Hill or Love and have got Warring or Winnovich with that trade up.

I am not the coach though, Pace is in room with Nagy and this is guy they felt could help the most.   They are probably right and I am wrong.  A good RB helps a team so much, they touch the ball second most usually after the QB. They are devalued simply because of depth of similar players at position and emergence of so many guys in later rounds. I think people who think position itself is unimportant are badly mistaken. 

This is 2nd best every down back in entire draft and Bears had just one of those guys who is a career back up.  So I get it.  I just thought we were going more edgy. 

I believe Pace and Nagy see Hunt in this guy as they looked really similar in college. If we get a Hunt clone and he perfroms like Hunt did his rookie year obviously that's a homerun. 

I would agree with all of this

Posted (edited)

Scouting Report from Dane Brugler. Free Plug - if you don't subscribe to The Athletic, i HIGHLY recommend it

BACKGROUND: A three-star running back recruit out of high school, David Montgomery was a three-year starting dual-threat quarterback at Mount Healthy. After earning Third Team All-State honors as a junior, he was named the 2015 Division III Ohio Offensive Player of the Year with 2,707 passing yards, 726 rushing yards and 48 total touchdowns (41 rushing, 7 passing) as a senior. Montgomery wasn’t considered a top-50 recruit in Ohio and went underrecruited, not receiving his first scholarship offer until after his junior season. He performed well at Toledo’s football camp (as a running back) and when Rockets head coach Matt Campbell left Toledo for the same position with Iowa State, he made Montgomery a top priority. Montgomery skipped his senior season to enter the 2019 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Elusive runner due to his balance, low center and run toughness…good-sized athlete and rarely goes down at first contact…flashes strong leg drive and powers through arm tackles when he wants to…patient at the line of scrimmage with strong cuts to keep defenders off balance in the hole…vision to find the cutback lane…easy to appreciate his toughness and nonstop fight…reliable ball skills with focus to stab away from his body…steady base and awareness in pass protection to face-up and keep rushers occupied…only three career fumbles on 695 touches (and never more than one in a season)…named a 2018 team captain and his coaches call him a “culture changer” due to his work ethic, effort and character (Eagle Scout who is very involved in his community)…ranked sixth in school history in career rushing yards (2,925) and all-purpose yards (3,507).

WEAKNESSES: Lacks instant acceleration to speed away from pursuit…wasn’t a big-play creator in college (2018: zero rushes of 40-plus yards and only two rushes of 30-plus yards)…too much east-west and guilty of making too many moves…late to read and anticipate developing lanes…bad habit of bracing for contact in the hole instead of lowering his pads…not a hammer and doesn’t always fall forward…always carries the ball in his left hand…awareness as a route-runner must improve…missed one game as a junior due to an upper arm injury (October 2018).

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Iowa State, Montgomery was an every-down back in the Cyclones shotgun, zone-read offense, often flanked to the left/right of the quarterback. He benefited from inferior tackling in the Big 12, but he runs with the active feet and ultra-competitive urgency that allows him to break tackles. While elusive in short areas, Montgomery is quicker than fast with inconsistent anticipation (more of a checkers runner, not chess). He has off-the-chart intangibles with the receiving and blocking potential to fit multiple roles. Overall, Montgomery doesn’t have much “special” to him as an athlete and he needs to see things quicker, but he doesn’t concede easily and has the run balance/toughness to be productive.

Edited by HuskieBear

Montgomery's RB coach at Iowa State is the same RB coach Kareem Hunt had at Toledo. Dude said that Montgomery is the better route runner and pass catcher :)

20 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Monty will continue to wear #32 with the Bears

Didn’t they retire #32 for Cedric Benson?

8 minutes ago, yomyyo said:

I figured they retired it for Deiondre Hall 

He  reminds me so much of Forte  !!

It's like watching Forte if he had Ryan Matthews'  body ... 

not to toot my own horn but David Montgomery gave me a follow back on instagram this morning. Toot toot.

On 4/27/2019 at 1:03 PM, HuskieBear said:

Scouting Report from Dane Brugler. Free Plug - if you don't subscribe to The Athletic, i HIGHLY recommend it

WEAKNESSES: Lacks instant acceleration to speed away from pursuit…wasn’t a big-play creator in college (2018: zero rushes of 40-plus yards and only two rushes of 30-plus yards)…too much east-west and guilty of making too many moves…

Without bothering to look anything up to back up my claim here--I believe he was better at those things the previous season.

5 hours ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

not to toot my own horn but David Montgomery gave me a follow back on instagram this morning. Toot toot.

Make sure to tell him most of us Bears folks on FF are psyched to have him in Chicago! :D

On 4/27/2019 at 2:31 PM, yomyyo said:

LOLOL......geez hope it doesn't jinx him.  Can't we talk him into #33 instead.  ;)

He's a much "niftier" back in traffic than Howard was and has a lot of that same "shake and bake" elusiveness in a phone both Singletary also shows.

More quick than fast but still has a more natural stride when he breaks free than Howard did.  I really don't see much if any similarity in the two at all.  In some ways Monty reminds me of larger version of Walter Payton.  He's one of those backs who can get you what you need on 3rd and 2 or score from inside the 5 in a goal line offense.  He shows patience in setting up his blocks, finding a crease, and then accelerating to and through.  Tough to tackle.

I don't think it's a big deal that he only had two runs over over 30 yards in 2018.  That's not his game.  Tarik Cohen only had one run over 30 yards himself and he runs a 4.4 with even more elusiveness.  The kid whose gonna be a one cut slasher who can take it to the house is Kerrith Whyte.  10 tds in 144 touches. He's the antithesis of a Monty or a Singletary.  He has no shake and bake.  Once he sees daylight he's only got one speed.....damn fast.(4.37).

To me the backfield is shaping up nicely.  Monty takes over for Howard, Davis for Bennie Cunningham, and Whyte for Mizzell and each is an upgrade on whom he replaces.  Those who were concerned Davis could not be a 200 plus touch RB can now settle back and relax.  He won't have to be.  Then Nagy still has Cohen and Patterson to use as joker and gadget backs.  IMHO that's a scary looking bunch of ball carriers to be looking at.

In his presser Nagy reinforced the point about having a backfield of versatile  3 down backs and now he has one.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, G08 said:

David Montgomery Destroys My Iowa Hawkeyes

I hated cheering for him during this game, but maaaaaaaaannnnnn! You see his vision, cutting ability, route running ability, hands, power, etc.

Impressive, impressive kid.

ISU couldnt do a damn thing on offense but somehow this dude kept them in the game.  I was having David Johnson flashbacks.

Nvm that was the 17 game not this years.

Edited by Superman(DH23)

What I really like is that he is an efficient receiver.

-9% target rate. 2nd highest in the draft.

-0 drops in college

-.83 yards per route run (Howard at .19 I believe)