Jump to content
D82

3.90 Connor McGovern C/G, Penn State

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We don’t need the cap relief this season, and it’s very possible we could get a 3rd round comp pick in return for letting him walk in addition to one more year of quality service.

You want to trade him and throw the rookie in there. But most rookies aren’t Zach Martin. Give the guy a chance to develop, embrace the depth and flexibility it gives us, and then enjoy the pick in 2021.

Any conversation for a Collins trade would need to start at a second round pick. Even at that, it would be questionable.

I know this isnt a sexy pick, but makes so much sense.  Value,  provide some competition for C.Williams, provide depth in case Frederick has lost strength and needs time to get that back, and as many have said, in 2020 offseason would likely allow us to let Collins walk on a big fa contract, move Williams to RT, and get a high comp pick. What's not good about all these options?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:
9 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We don’t need the cap relief this season, and it’s very possible we could get a 3rd round comp pick in return for letting him walk in addition to one more year of quality service.

You want to trade him and throw the rookie in there. But most rookies aren’t Zach Martin. Give the guy a chance to develop, embrace the depth and flexibility it gives us, and then enjoy the pick in 2021.

Any conversation for a Collins trade would need to start at a second round pick. Even at that, it would be questionable.

I know this isnt a sexy pick, but makes so much sense.  Value,  provide some competition for C.Williams, provide depth in case Frederick has lost strength and needs time to get that back, and as many have said, in 2020 offseason would likely allow us to let Collins walk on a big fa contract, move Williams to RT, and get a high comp pick. What's not good about all these options?

I worry about Williams length outside. His short arms and wingspan are far from ideal. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but he's well below the typical thresh hold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

What's not good about all these options?

Not sure if this is directed at me or just rhetorical. But I agree, I like the pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

I worry about Williams length outside. His short arms and wingspan are far from ideal. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but he's well below the typical thresh hold.

La'El Collins' arms are only 1/4" longer than CW's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Mike Fisher reporting that Cowboys had a higher grade on Connor McGregor than Trysten Hill and Juan Thornhill. Wow.

He was a pure BPA pick. Yes CWill is unproven, Frederick and Collins have a shaky future but I think they probably wish the BPA was a safety.

 

Kudos to them for picking the guy, and not letting need dictate.

First two picks were DL and OL. Really hard for me to be upset with that.

 

Edited by DaBoys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Mike Fisher reporting that Cowboys had a higher grade on Connor McGregor than Trysten Hill and Juan Thornhill. Wow.

Well he was partly responsible for our only win by double digits last year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Mike Fisher reporting that Cowboys had a higher grade on Connor McGregor than Trysten Hill and Juan Thornhill. Wow.

Was he watching UFC or what? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 11:17 PM, TVScout said:

Ourlads has a 4/5 round grade on him.

I agree with that assessment, had a higher grade on him entering the past season, but he didn't look all that good IMO this past year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will have to wait and see how McGovern pans out.  But I can't fault the thinking: Don't know what we have in Williams; Collins could be gone as a FA;; and Frederick is recovering from a serious health issue.   So draft an OL.  Besides that there is never anything wrong with fortifying both lines.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

"Do we like Connor?"

:Everyone in the room at the same time:

"We love Connor"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

 

 

"Do we like Connor?"

:Everyone in the room at the same time:

"We love Connor"

Garrett taps the desk furiously ONCE to assert his point of wanting McGovern. idk looked funny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 2:42 PM, htfryar said:

Was he watching UFC or what? 

He's a little small for G/C, but he does have a lot of spunk, and the luck of the irish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 4:58 PM, Matts4313 said:

 

 

"Do we like Connor?"

:Everyone in the room at the same time:

"We love Connor"

Yet little did SJ know that they were all referring to Williams and not McGovern. Slight misunderstanding. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×