3.90 Connor McGovern C/G, Penn State

D82

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We don’t need the cap relief this season, and it’s very possible we could get a 3rd round comp pick in return for letting him walk in addition to one more year of quality service.

You want to trade him and throw the rookie in there. But most rookies aren’t Zach Martin. Give the guy a chance to develop, embrace the depth and flexibility it gives us, and then enjoy the pick in 2021.

Any conversation for a Collins trade would need to start at a second round pick. Even at that, it would be questionable.

I know this isnt a sexy pick, but makes so much sense.  Value,  provide some competition for C.Williams, provide depth in case Frederick has lost strength and needs time to get that back, and as many have said, in 2020 offseason would likely allow us to let Collins walk on a big fa contract, move Williams to RT, and get a high comp pick. What's not good about all these options?

5 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:
9 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We don’t need the cap relief this season, and it’s very possible we could get a 3rd round comp pick in return for letting him walk in addition to one more year of quality service.

You want to trade him and throw the rookie in there. But most rookies aren’t Zach Martin. Give the guy a chance to develop, embrace the depth and flexibility it gives us, and then enjoy the pick in 2021.

Any conversation for a Collins trade would need to start at a second round pick. Even at that, it would be questionable.

I know this isnt a sexy pick, but makes so much sense.  Value,  provide some competition for C.Williams, provide depth in case Frederick has lost strength and needs time to get that back, and as many have said, in 2020 offseason would likely allow us to let Collins walk on a big fa contract, move Williams to RT, and get a high comp pick. What's not good about all these options?

I worry about Williams length outside. His short arms and wingspan are far from ideal. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but he's well below the typical thresh hold.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Mike Fisher reporting that Cowboys had a higher grade on Connor McGregor than Trysten Hill and Juan Thornhill. Wow.

He was a pure BPA pick. Yes CWill is unproven, Frederick and Collins have a shaky future but I think they probably wish the BPA was a safety.

Kudos to them for picking the guy, and not letting need dictate.

First two picks were DL and OL. Really hard for me to be upset with that.

Edited by DaBoys

We will have to wait and see how McGovern pans out.  But I can't fault the thinking: Don't know what we have in Williams; Collins could be gone as a FA;; and Frederick is recovering from a serious health issue.   So draft an OL.  Besides that there is never anything wrong with fortifying both lines.  

On 5/4/2019 at 4:58 PM, Matts4313 said:

"Do we like Connor?"

:Everyone in the room at the same time:

"We love Connor"

Yet little did SJ know that they were all referring to Williams and not McGovern. Slight misunderstanding. :P