With the 102nd pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Alexander Mattison, RB - Boise St.

SemperFeist

2 minutes ago, Klomp said:

"Mattison isn’t a better prospect than pre-draft No. 2 back Mike Boone." -Evan Silva

Now he's just doubling down and digging a deeper hole. That is not true at all. For one, availability is the best ability. Mattison has proven he can handle a workload. So far Cook and Boone have not. That's only one of a myriad of reasons why saying Mattison isn't better than Boone is false.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wanted to revisit this thread and pick. It's eye-opening going back and reading the opinions and even national writers opinions (evan silva) lamenting it the worst pick of the draft.

These are the RBs drafted after Mattison:

Bryce Love

Justice Hill

Benny Snell

Tony Pollard

Ryquell Armstead

Qadree Ollison

Jordan Scarlett

Trayveon Williams

Ty Johnson

Dexter Williams

Travis Homer

Rodney Anderson

Darwin Thompson

Mike Weber

Cullen Gillaspia

Kerrith Whyte

Chandler Cox

Myles Gaskin

Is there anyone you would rather have over Mattison? Maybe Pollard? But really, it seems like if the Vikings were looking at a RB, they 

A. Picked the correct one

B. Got great value from it with all the trade downs

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Wanted to revisit this thread and pick. It's eye-opening going back and reading the opinions and even national writers opinions (evan silva) lamenting it the worst pick of the draft.

Bryce Love

Justice Hill

Benny Snell

Tony Pollard

Ryquell Armstead

Qadree Ollison

Jordan Scarlett

Trayveon Williams

Ty Johnson

Dexter Williams

Travis Homer

Rodney Anderson

Darwin Thompson

Mike Weber

Cullen Gillaspia

Kerrith Whyte

Chandler Cox

Myles Gaskin

Is there anyone you would rather have over Mattison? Maybe Pollard? But really, it seems like if the Vikings were looking at a RB, they 

It's why I trust Rick when it comes to the draft.  While he's certainly not perfect, since he's had full control, he gets it right more often than most other GMs.    

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Bryce Love

Justice Hill

Benny Snell

Tony Pollard

Ryquell Armstead

Qadree Ollison

Jordan Scarlett

Trayveon Williams

Ty Johnson

Dexter Williams

Travis Homer

Rodney Anderson

Darwin Thompson

Mike Weber

Cullen Gillaspia

Kerrith Whyte

Chandler Cox

Myles Gaskin

I'm still high on Bryce Love but it wouldn't make sense for the Vikings to draft him. Two injury-prone RBs, not a good mix. Mattison was a solid pick that after his 1st year is now a great pick.

I'll admit I didn't love the pick on draft day. He definitely showed me more his rookie season than I apparently scouted of him before the draft. Not to be a downer but there is a good chance given the opportunity some of the other backs that where drafted after and I had ranked higher could still be more impressive. Mattison is a great compliment to Cook and is what we needed however.

On 2020-05-26 at 11:16 AM, battle2heaven said:

A lot of people had him as a mid day 3 pick (we took him as the last pick on day two) so he was perceived as a reach. It’s still early but it looks like it wasn’t a huge mistake taking him where we did.

i think the fact that we had a starting running back is a big part of why a lot of people disliked the pick. Regardless of what you thought of Mattison as a prospect, spending a third round pick on a backup running back is not viewed as wise. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, whitehops said:

i think the fact that we had a starting running back is a big part of why a lot of people disliked the pick. Regardless of what you thought of Mattison as a prospect, spending a third round pick on a backup running back is not viewed as wise. 

Arguably 5 of the 6 RBs taken in the first 2 rounds this year will, at least initially (and maybe always will be), be backup RBs.  I'm not sure the NFL teams agree with you.

Edited by swede700

11 hours ago, vikes635 said:

I'll admit I didn't love the pick on draft day. He definitely showed me more his rookie season than I apparently scouted of him before the draft. Not to be a downer but there is a good chance given the opportunity some of the other backs that where drafted after and I had ranked higher could still be more impressive. Mattison is a great compliment to Cook and is what we needed however.

I think he's a great complement and he absolutely looked the part.  There were runs where I didn't even know it was Mattison and not Cook until after he popped up after the tackle.  Now idk of he could keep that up with a lion's share of the Carrie's, but I think he killed it given the opportunities. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

I think he's a great complement and he absolutely looked the part.  There were runs where I didn't even know it was Mattison and not Cook until after he popped up after the tackle.  Now idk of he could keep that up with a lion's share of the Carrie's, but I think he killed it given the opportunities. 

IMO, seeing too many Carries is bound to have an effect on a guy's production.  ;)
MV5BMjA1MzEyNDYxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTY2

• Like 3

On 5/28/2020 at 9:30 AM, swede700 said:

Arguably 5 of the 6 RBs taken in the first 2 rounds this year will, at least initially (and maybe always will be), be backup RBs.  I'm not sure the NFL teams agree with you.

I think it's much more likely they're part of committee, which most of them will be at the head of.

I'm not opposed to NFL teams doing that by the way, I was more talking about draft analysts/media and their perception of the Mattison pick.