With the 102nd pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Alexander Mattison, RB - Boise St.

SemperFeist

Just now, Dolmonite26 said:

Well he's the backup running back, so yeah....

Maybe that tells you what they think of Cook. Perhaps he doesn't have the durability to be the everydown player most expect. I get the commitment to the run game, does seem a tad early.

Edited by vikingsrule

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Maybe that tells you what they think of Cook. Perhaps he doesn't have the durability to be the everydown player most expect. I get the commitment to the run game, does seem a tad early.

When you can get starting caliber running backs on day 3, yeah taking a back up (even if he figures to have a role) in the 3rd is stupid

I think this is another system fit potentially, good one cut runner who is very tough and strong.  Gives them more power where Cook is more the athlete obviously.  

I had Mattison get picked 5th-6th round so a little reach maybe, who says he would not have been there in the 4th.  And there were other good backs on the board.

Mike Weber
Benny Snell
Bryce Love
Rodney Anderson
Trayveon Williams
Myles Gaskins
Karan Higdon

Rodney Anderson would have fit the zone blocking system as well but has a pretty bad injury history but has way more big play potential than Mattison.  Weber is not as physical as Mattison but has a lot of ability.  Snell I love as a leader and a character, not a speed guy but is arguably the most physical runner in the draft, might not have been a system fit for stretch zone action either.  Love clearly played bad in a zone run game last year and gets injured a ton.  Trayveon Williams I like a lot and is arguably better than Mattison, had a great season this past year.  Gaskins is as consistent as they come but smaller and not as powerful of course and Higdon I think runs very well for his size and makes good sharp cuts.

So yeah a little reach but in terms of his toughness it is a need and at least they show they are committed to running the damn ball with this pick, now will see if they can block worth a damn or not.  

And not sure I see that correct but the Vikings traded back and got 5 extra draft picks?  All in that 3rd round, that alone was a nice move no doubt, will see what they do with it.

Overview

Productive, willful runner whose combination of functional patience and aggressive urgency helped him find his niche as an every-down workhorse. While he has the ability to create yards for himself with adequate elusiveness and power, he's not a slasher or banger by NFL standards and he lacks burst to produce chunk plays on a regular basis. Mattison is a jack-of-all-trades backup with the ability to step into a heavy-duty role if called upon. His talent as a pass-catcher could move him up the RB food-chain.

Strengths

• Determined runner who can carry lively legs deep into games
  • Averaged 30 carries per game over final five in 2018 and thrived
  • Runs with above-average balance
  • Decisive running style
  • Leaped over open-field tacklers multiple times
  • Finds additional power as finisher near the goal line
  • Probes with good downhill urgency and finds the crease
  • Outstanding hands out of backfield
  • Adjusts to throws outside frame and has soft hands to absorb fastballs
  • Hits it upfield quickly after catch
  • Chip blocks have some bite

Weaknesses

• Plays with a little bit of hip tightness
  • Multi-stepper to make lateral getaways
  • Prolonged open-field cuts
  • Does not appear to have a breakaway gear
  • Had just nine carries of 15-plus yards in 2018
  • Runs brave and takes too many direct hits
  • Not enough juice to turn play-side corners on stretch plays
  • Could use quicker recognition of pass-protection duties
  • Hand technique needs improvement as blocker

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/alexander-mattison?id=32194d41-5459-9622-25bb-238938a4f96b

3 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

Mattison looks like he could be decent, but if we were going to add a RB in the 3rd I would’ve preferred to take a David Johnson player who has elite traits and will easily be a pro bowler...  😂

"will easily be a pro bowler"

How many of those do you think are laying around in Round 3?

9 hours ago, Klomp said:

Older story about his upbringing

Wow impressive, yeah just that alone I can see why he was drafted higher than he probably should be.  Such an impressive smart young man, extremely impressive.  Will have plenty of work to do in the community no doubt as a rookie with his skill set, Vikings will send him all over the place potentially especially being bilingual.

19 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Was hoping for Khalen Saunders or Kelvin Harmon. Can’t knock the pick much and I fully expect us to move up tomorrow with all these picks we have. 

Still think I would’ve liked Saunders here. 

However, Rick working the phones and moving down gained us a lot more draft capital. 

Seemed they really wanted a Murray replacement and I can’t fault them for that just figured it might come a little later in the draft. 

Sounds like he’ll most definitely contribute and I look forward to seeing what he can do.