Star Wars episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Breesus mode

25 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

I can understand not really liking the plot for 7, but the characters make the movie, especially the new ones. They were all fantastic.

Agreed on Rogue One though.

The only one I didn't care much for was Poe Dameron.  

Poe is ok...I'd like to see more to him though. 

Honestly Finn's story is the one I was and still am the most interested in...far beyond that of Ray for right now.

I think Finn and Kylo were the best new characters they introduced

Just now, Bednarik60 said:

Agreed. 

What was funny was they were on opposites sides of the story, but i found my self pulling for both of them. 

I agree with both of you on Finn and Kylo.  Very interested in finding out more about Kylo's fall.

I don't know, I just chose to come up with a valid explanation for the similarities and enjoy what was absolutely the spirit of the original trilogy.  I'll cherish The Force Awakens the same way I cherish the original trilogy.

There's bigger issues with Force Awakens than it's similarity to New Hope anyway, such as there being what amounts to a 3rd Death Star(with yet another fatal/exploitable flaw), Rey being a bit of a Mary Sue, Rey being somehow able to beat down Kylo, someone trained by both Luke Skywalker and Snoke(I don't care if he was injured, he should have been able to absolutely dominate her in every facet, a far more believable ending would have been something like Kylo dominating her, the planet beginning to split, and before he strikes the final blow, Chewy saves her in the/from the Falcon), Luke completely abandoning his friends/family just because Kylo went rogue(and if he's going to leave and never wants to be found, why leave a map?.......), General Hux looking and acting like some kind of snotty nosed brat(hopefully their intent was not to make him the Grand Moff Tarkin-type character of the new trilogy, and hopefully Benicio Del Toro was cast to be the actual leader of the army and not Hux), the dark side of the force/the imperials/the first order is to be an intimidating force. Nothing about Hux(or even Kylo to a lesser extent) is intimidating. Tarkin in a New Hope was pretty much the perfect example of what an evil, sophisticated and intimidating leader is supposed to be. 

Even Grievous from the prequels did a better job in that role.

There's a lot of flaws to the Force Awakens, but it's saved by Han's incredible story arc(and Ford's incredible acting), and the all around good acting from the majority of the cast.

@TitanLegend

Yea how power Ray was a bit too far at that point...but we'll see what her history is. Her Arc was similar to Luke's in A new Hope, helpless on a crappy planet, lost their mentor, and off to find a new more powerful one in the follow-up.. except swap out destroyed death star equivalent with holding her own in a fight with Kylo for the "Victory". 

She's just naturally good at everything, it's not a foreign thing to the franchise (Anakin, Luke). But it doesn't mean it's great, and you hope that they put her through the ringer to play off of like they did the other two. I'm interested to see how her reaction to Luke will change her.

I think the New Hope parallels become acceptable if you think Luke's disappearance is tied into History repeating itself. And he's gone off to come up with the final solution, to balance the force once and for all.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

@TitanLegend

Yea how power Ray was a bit too far at that point...but we'll see what her history is. Her Arc was similar to Luke's in A new Hope, helpless on a crappy planet, lost their mentor, and off to find a new more powerful one in the follow-up.. except swap out destroyed death star equivalent with holding her own in a fight with Kylo for the "Victory". 

She's just naturally good at everything, it's not a foreign thing to the franchise (Anakin, Luke). But it doesn't mean it's great, and you hope that they put her through the ringer to play off of like they did the other two. I'm interested to see how her reaction to Luke will change her.

I think the New Hope parallels become acceptable if you think Luke's disappearance is tied into History repeating itself. And he's gone off to come up with the final solution, to balance the force once and for all.

Good post but I don't think Anakin and especially Luke were very much near the "good at everything" mark like Rey was. When Anakin, with a ton more training than what Rey had, went up against Dooku in the Attack of the Clones, even with the help of Obi-Wan, got his ass kicked and Yoda had to show up and save both him and Obi-Wan. Anakin also went on to lose to Obi-Wan as well, with the biggest reason really coming down to experience in combat, Obi-Wan was just simply smarter than Anakin and it resulted in Anakin losing.

Luke, after receiving training from both Obi-Wan and Yoda was toyed with by Vader in Empire(and Yoda said that would happen). So after losing his hand, he has to go off and train with Yoda again, and even then Luke was clearly the inferior combatant until Vader triggered the anger in him. When Anakin and Luke went up against people greater than them in intelligence and or skill, they lost.

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

Good post but I don't think Anakin and especially Luke were very much near the "good at everything" mark like Rey was. When Anakin, with a ton more training than what Rey had, went up against Dooku in the Attack of the Clones, even with the help of Obi-Wan, got his ass kicked and Yoda had to show up and save both him and Obi-Wan. Anakin also went on to lose to Obi-Wan as well, with the biggest reason really coming down to experience in combat, Obi-Wan was just simply smarter than Anakin and it resulted in Anakin losing.

Luke, after receiving training from both Obi-Wan and Yoda was toyed with by Vader in Empire(and Yoda said that would happen). So after losing his hand, he has to go off and train with Yoda again, and even then Luke was clearly the inferior combatant until Vader triggered the anger in him. When Anakin and Luke went up against people greater than them in intelligence and or skill, they lost.

For sure, I meant more in like they are good at building stuff, incredible pilot, master swordsman/wielder of the blade...but yea they had a lot more bad dealt to them. 

But in fairness to Rey, neither one of them got all that much dealt to them in their first film. Anakin didnt get to bring his mom and Qui-Gon died...Luke lost his aunt & uncle, and his mentor...Rey lost her mentor, and had to give up the idea her family would come back (weak comparison I know)

But they each showed feats of great aptitude, that was perhaps "unearned" given what was shown before. Luke, a country boy mastered flying an X-wing and destroyed the deathstar in like his first outing in one. Anakin won the Podrace, despite no human ever doing it...aaand dumb-lucked his way to destroying the federation ship. And Ray grasped the force like it was nothing, and went toe-to-toe with a superior, albeit not fully trained himself, foe in Kylo Ren.

Ray had the weakest loss in her 1st episode, and had the biggest stride towards greatness...since force users are an incredibly small fraction of the beings who make up this galaxy, even less so ones with great mastery of it.

But we'll see what happens to her in 8 and 9, and possibly further. She can turn it around like the others and become something more.

She suffers similarly from being outshined by a secondary lead(s)...Kylo and Finn. Obi Wan for Anakin. And Han & Leia for Luke

It felt like she got the least screen time out of the 3, yet I'm sure Anakin in 1 had to be by far the least. But I think that's just how they wrote her and her having to play a back seat to Han, Kylo, and for at least half of the movie Finn 

I don't hate her character, it has potential...but if she's just a gateway character in a Star Wars power fantasy, serving as a conduit character for the audience to experience this Universe... "Hey Mr. Solo...fancy meeting you here. Learn to mind trick, woah aren't you good. Crazy Blade skills..you'll be ready to beat that Kylo next time. WOAH it's LUKE, man Kylo got away again...you'll win in the 3rd films final act...I'm sure of it"

The universe going forward will suffer, because they are putting a lot of importance on her character. They need her to land and continue the legacy of light sided force users going into the future. Because there is no way after printing the money Disney is printing off star wars, that we aren't getting more trilogies soon

I don't think Luke dies but I think he will play a Doctor Manhattan or Dumbledore role where he's overpowered but pretty much just watches from the sidelines since these movies aren't about him. 

Or if Snoke is super powerful it might be Rey vs Ren & Luke vs Snoke but I kinda hope not. Hope Ren comes to his senses. 

2 hours ago, OleXmad said:

Snoke looks like at thermal detonator went off in his face. Wonder what the reason is behind him having that skin color.

Force lightning damage and getting thrown down a shaft 

Archived