2019 NFL draft day 3; Dorseys delight.

Kiwibrown

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I’m not arguing that, I was one of them.  I think any position could have been on the table if the right situation arose. Of course that’s a far cry from saying it’s a “need”.

The context of those discussions was based around the idea that guys like DeValve and Charles, both unspectacular and on the final year of their deals, could be replaced if the right opportunity arose. Perhaps it didn’t.  Kahale Warring was one we were supposedly intrigued by, but he went before our 3rd round pick.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/26/san-diego-state-te-kahale-warring-aztecs-pro-day-cleveland-browns/ 

I’m pretty sure every position was discussed at one point or another, it doesn’t mean people were declaring them all a need.

I distinctly remember multiple posters in some draft thread wanting us to draft a TE. Not only draft one, but take one early because I remember defending Devalve saying that if we just gave him legit playing time he would be just as good as any mid-round TE we could draft. One poster was going hard after wanting Hockenson because of his idea of pairing Hock/Njoku and running the Patriots 2 TE sets.

This was still back when the Browns had 17

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

One poster was going hard after wanting Hockenson because of his idea of pairing Hock/Njoku and running the Patriots 2 TE sets.

It was @TheeRealDeal, if Tayne remembers correctly. He wanted a TE bad.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

People did say we needed a TE.

Who?  I don’t remember a single person pounding the table for a TE, especially after the OBJ trade and signing Harris.  Some folks may have liked Hockenson (I sure do) and would have been fine with him at 17 as BPA, but that’s not the same as saying it was a need in any way.  After the OBJ trade I don’t recall much discussion about TE’s at all.  Who were the posters?  Who were they pounding the table for?

Others said we didn't because obviously Dorsey likes Harris and Njoku was getting 85% of the P.T. among them anyway.

No one was discussing replacing Harris and Njoku, they were discussing Charles and DeValve (2 other guys from the 53 last year), who I’m assuming will probably play a similar role to our 5th CB, 10th OL, and 6th LB, all of which we actually drafted.

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I distinctly remember multiple posters in some draft thread wanting us to draft a TE. Not only draft one, but take one early because I remember defending Devalve saying that if we just gave him legit playing time he would be just as good as any mid-round TE we could draft. One poster was going hard after wanting Hockenson because of his idea of pairing Hock/Njoku and running the Patriots 2 TE sets.

And Hockenson would have been a great pick had he been taken at 17.  If we were still at 17, and Hockenson was on the board, what player do you take ahead of him?  He’s an elite prospect.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Who?  I don’t remember a single person pounding the table for a TE, especially after the OBJ trade and signing Harris.  Some folks may have liked Hockenson (I sure do) and would have been fine with him at 17 as BPA, but that’s not the same as saying it was a need in any way.  After the OBJ trade I don’t recall much discussion about TE’s at all.  Who were the posters?  Who were they pounding the table for?

No one was discussing replacing Harris and Njoku, they were discussing Charles and DeValve (2 other guys from the 53 last year), who I’m assuming will probably play a similar role to our 5th CB, 10th OL, and 6th LB, all of which we actually drafted.

And Hockenson would have been a great pick had he been taken at 17.  If we were still at 17, and Hockenson was on the board, what player do you take ahead of him?  He’s an elite prospect.

Any of the DBs that were on the board IMO. If the Browns still had 17, I would have easily scooped up Byron Murphy or Greedy Williams. Since Dillard was still on the board in this hypothetical I would have taken him as well.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Any of the DBs that were on the board IMO. If the Browns still had 17, I would have easily scooped up Byron Murphy or Greedy Williams.

Well both of those guys were day 2 picks and Hockenson went top 10, so it looks like the league didn’t agree with this much.

Since Dillard was still on the board in this hypothetical I would have taken him as well.

Ok.  I think most folks had Hockenson as the superior talent, but if you’d rather draft for need, I guess I get it.  

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Well both of those guys were day 2 picks and Hockenson went top 10, so it looks like the league didn’t agree with this much.

Ok.  I think most folks had Hockenson as the superior talent, but if you’d rather draft for need, I guess I get it.  

Well I wrote like a 10 paragraph thesis on my disbelief in drafting TEs early. Ever. The only TE drafted in the 1st round that has had consistent production relative to a 1st round pick in the past 13 years has been Vernon Davis. The top 3 TEs in the NFL are Kittle (5th), Kelce (3rd) and Gronk (2nd, before retirement). Its just not a position that lends itself to immediate contribution which is what the Browns need. So I would have been against drafting a TE regardless of who was there. TE is a draft traits and develop postion. Not a blow your top 20 pick position

We just had far bigger needs to address with immediate contributors than going for a 2nd TE who probably wouldn't produce like a 1st round pick until 2020/2021 if history is any indication

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

Well I wrote like a 10 paragraph thesis on my disbelief in drafting TEs early. Ever. The only TE drafted in the 1st round that has had consistent production relative to a 1st round pick in the past 13 years has been Vernon Davis. The top 3 TEs in the NFL are Kittle (5th), Kelce (3rd) and Gronk (2nd, before retirement). Its just not a position that lends itself to immediate contribution which is what the Browns need. So I would have been against drafting a TE regardless of who was there. 

We just had far bigger needs to address with immediate contributors than going for a 2nd TE who probably wouldn't produce like a 1st round pick until 2020/2021 if history is any indication

That’s fair.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Well I wrote like a 10 paragraph thesis on my disbelief in drafting TEs early. Ever. The only TE drafted in the 1st round that has had consistent production relative to a 1st round pick in the past 13 years has been Vernon Davis. The top 3 TEs in the NFL are Kittle (5th), Kelce (3rd) and Gronk (2nd, before retirement). Its just not a position that lends itself to immediate contribution which is what the Browns need. So I would have been against drafting a TE regardless of who was there. TE is a draft traits and develop postion. Not a blow your top 20 pick position

tl;dr Akron wanted Hockensen with a trade-up into the first round.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don't know which of the 20 draft threads it was in but I remember posting that it wasn't a need because of Njoku and Harris and gave the percentages of snaps the 3rd and 4th TE's had including fullbacks and it was quite small. There were people wanting a #2 to pair with Njoku, dunno who. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't know which of the 20 draft threads it was in but I remember posting that it wasn't a need because of Njoku and Harris and gave the percentages of snaps the 3rd and 4th TE's had including fullbacks and it was quite small. There were people wanting a #2 to pair with Njoku, dunno who. 

Yuuuup. I wasn't opposed to doing it, like for instance---if they would have took Nauta from Georgia in the 7th thats fine. Creating competition. But to spend a high round valuable draft pick on one I was never on board with