2019 NFL Draft Day 3 Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

packfanfb

5 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

My point was early rounds for what you wanted to draft and your complaint about what we did draft. I noted 1 and 2 it doesn’t matter sorry 2 and 3. We had no 4 s. 

We were never going WR early. Plus we took a DB in round 1. I don’t care where your post was. It was just silly and I felt compelled to respond to it. If the contact was off to your argument my point was still valid to your complaint of picks and no CB or WR early enough to your liking. 

We traded to take a S, hence why we had less picks to add to other areas.

Trading up for a S when they were all still on the board was a big risk. Then selecting a C in 2nd when even you say defense was a higher need, all just didn’t make sense.

I agree with adding to defense, just probably wouldn’t have traded up for the safety which would have left more flexibility for more balanced picks.

6 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

I guess FO doesn’t disagree with me.

Still I think giving up picks to move higher to take a safety was a mistake. I agree with filling the need, just that There were other comparable safeties available if the one they wanted got taken.

In your mind they were comparable.  In Gute's mind, they clearly were not comparable.  I actually agree that the trade up didn't seem necessary to land Savage.  However, the fact that Gute did in fact trade up tells me that (1) Gute thought Savage was the best of the S bunch by a good margin, and (2) he had reasonable doubt that Savage would last until pick #30.

1 minute ago, Packer_ESP said:

Yeah, as much enamored as I was with CGJ and Adderley, the Ravens and Colts (I think) traded back as soon as we jumped on Savage. The truth reality is that it seems a few team had him as the top safety and the 3rd one going so late only solidifies that.

Yep. I made a mistake in that post. I forgot the Seahawks took Marquise Blair at 47 or whatever it was. But the "comparable" guy that everyone here wanted, went at pick 60. I think that said enough about how this safety class, after Savage, was thought of. Plus, as was said by someone else, there's a difference between these safeties. In regards to fit, there was no better fit than Savage for the Packers and we weren't getting him at 30. People need to let that trade go. It was a good deal and we got our guy.

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

RB:  Dexter WIlliams, Ozigbo, Rodney Anderson, Ty Johnson, Mike Weber

OL:  Brian Fineanganofo, Ryan Bates, CJ Toogood, Drew Forbes

CB:  Ballentine, Hollman, Lewis Jr, Boyd, Webster

WR:  MOrgan, Hall, 

Nice....very happy with this pick at RB.  

Low mileage in college and has the tools to be a really productive RB.

Just now, PackGymRat said:

We traded to take a S, hence why we had less picks to add to other areas.

Trading up for a S when they were all still on the board was a big risk. Then selecting a C in 2nd when even you say defense was a higher need, all just didn’t make sense.

I agree with adding to defense, just probably wouldn’t have traded up for the safety which would have left more flexibility for more balanced picks.

It’s not a bad trade if he turns into an allpro. Clearly they viewed him as such. Reminds me of the CM3 trade. Some will agree some won’t. I see savage as an Earl Thomas type and he had a huge impact on Seattle’s D and what they were able to do. Just my opinion which men’s nothing. 

From Dane Brugler's "The Beast" draft guide

9. DEXTER WILLIAMS | Notre Dame 5111 | 212 lbs. | SR. Orlando, Fla. (West Orange) 1/6/1997 (age 22.31) #2

BACKGROUND: A four-star running back recruit out of high school, Dexter Williams started playing running back at a young age and played his first three years of high 
school at Orlando Olympia, rushing for 1,072 yards as a junior in 2013. He transferred to Winter Garden West Orange for his senior season and posted 871 rushing 
yards (7.0 yards per carry average) and 10 touchdowns in 2014. Williams ranked as a top-15 running back and top-100 recruit overall in the 2015 class, initially 
verballing to Miami (Fla.) before decommitting and signing with Notre Dame. His mother (Cheryl), who has battled myasthenia gravis since 2006, moved in with 
Williams in South Bend while he served a four-game suspension to start the 2018 season. He is the youngest of five children. Williams accepted his invitation to the 
2019 Senior Bowl.

YEAR (GP/GS) CAR YDS AVG TD REC YDS AVG TD NOTES
2015: (7/0) 21 81 3.9 1 0 0 0.0 0
2016: (12/0) 39 200 5.1 3 4 16 4.0 0
2017: (10/0) 39 360 9.2 4 2 13 6.5 1
2018: (9/8 158 995 6.3 12 16 133 8.3 1 Suspended the first four games
Total: (38/8) 257 1,636 6.4 20 22 162 7.4 2
HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE 5111 212 32 1/4 09 5/8 76 7/8 4.57 2.67 1.61 36 10’10” 4.16 7.00 17
PRO DAY 4.61 2.61 1.62 - - - - - (stood on Combine jumps, shuttles, bench)

STRENGTHS: Outstanding footwork, hips and lateral agility to patch moves together…burst to shake pursuit when he bounces runs outside…balance to manipulate 
defenders in space…sustains his speed to run away from chasers…trusts his vision to take him from daylight to pay dirt…recorded eight rushes of 30-plus yards (seven 
resulted in touchdowns) in 2018, including a 97-yarder (second-longest in ND history)…fumbled only twice in college (both in 2018)…graduated with his degree 
(December 2018)…plenty of tread still on his tires (279 touches the last four seasons)…added 10 pounds prior to his breakout 2018 season.

WEAKNESSES: Too reliant on bouncing runs and needs to stay committed inside…decisiveness requires sharpening…inconsistent power through contact…lacks 
nuance or technique in pass pro…inexperienced receiver…struggled to digest the playbook at Notre Dame…conditioning was an issue his first three seasons on 
campus…character requires extensive vetting; arrested, along with four other teammates including Te’von Coney, for marijuana possession (August 2016); suspended
the first four games of 2018 after a failed drug test…missed three games (October 2017) and parts of others due to a quad contusion. 

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Notre Dame, Williams spent his first three seasons in South Bend as a backup who was in and out of the medical tent and coach’s 
doghouse. He took advantage of his second and third chances and developed a more professional attitude for his breakout senior season, ranking top-15 nationally in 
rushing yards per game (110.6) in 2018. Williams looks his best downhill where he can attack lanes and allow his athleticism to take over. He is still in the 
development phase as a pass catcher and blocker, but shows noticeable upside in both areas. Overall, Williams hasn’t been the model of reliability over his career, 
but his turnaround and productive senior season give evaluators optimism because he has the natural talent to upgrade a team’s running back depth chart if he 
stays committed.

GRADE: 4th Round

Archived