2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

Hope I'm not premature with this thread, but we don't draft in round 4 so...............................

- I think we won the draft. 

- Not a big Gary fan, but his measureables are better than anyone in the draft not named Q. Williams. This kid might turn into a dominant defender. If/when he does, how do you block us up front? 

- I do not remember the last time I was this excited about the first 4 picks in a Packer draft. Need and talent both covered. 

- I think this off season puts us back as the favorite in the NFCN

- Two of these four are going to start week 1, and I'm not sure which two it will be. If I were guessing, I'd say it's Jenkins and Sternberger. Just think safety is such a tough position Savage might not start until week 7 or 8. Gary is going to play a lot, but in a rotation. The Smith's will start at EDGE. 

- Pettine has no excuses. He doesn't put up a top 10 defense he should be gone next year. 

- I can't wait for the season to begin. 

Go Pack Goooooooooooooooo!!! 

Just now, ReadyToThump said:

Barring an injury to Graham, there is no way Sternberger starts week 1. Actually, I think he's the least likely to start between the 4 so far. 

Your dislike for this pick is well documented. I'll respectfully disagree. Grandpa Graham needs to be replaced and I think this kid may do it. BTW, I could see Tonyan making a leap this year and that wouldn't be a bad thing either. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Hope I'm not premature with this thread, but we don't draft in round 4 so...............................

- I think we won the draft. 

- Not a big Gary fan, but his measureables are better than anyone in the draft not named Q. Williams. This kid might turn into a dominant defender. If/when he does, how do you block us up front? 

- I do not remember the last time I was this excited about the first 4 picks in a Packer draft. Need and talent both covered. 

- I think this off season puts us back as the favorite in the NFCN

- Two of these four are going to start week 1, and I'm not sure which two it will be. If I were guessing, I'd say it's Jenkins and Sternberger. Just think safety is such a tough position Savage might not start until week 7 or 8. Gary is going to play a lot, but in a rotation. The Smith's will start at EDGE. 

- Pettine has no excuses. He doesn't put up a top 10 defense he should be gone next year. 

- I can't wait for the season to begin. 

Go Pack Goooooooooooooooo!!! 

Thanks for the topic. Did the Packers win the draft who knows. We will know in a few years. 

I saw a coupleof Michigan games on TV this past season and Gary was great in those games. I hope to be a Gary fan very soon now that he is  Packer. 

The first 4 Packer picks do 2 things that I can see = 1) covers  high priority needs (Edge, S, OL, TE) and 2) improves team speed. Both vrery good things, 

If the Packers come away with 2 immediate starters then it willl be considered an excellent draft immediately. 

Gary to me is a DE so we will see what the Pack does with him. I could see him beign a starter opposite of Daniels though DL always does a lot of rotation. Savage definitely starts and Jenkins could start at LG. TE is a skill posiiton and will take time to develop.

This has been an unusual draft year for me. Leading up to the draft I predicted OL, DL, FS, TE, as the prime picks and that is pretty much what happened. Usually there is something unpredictable by now. Either I'm getting better at it, or it's a lucky outlier, or it's just more obvious what they'll do this year.

4 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

This has been an unusual draft year for me. Leading up to the draft I predicted OL, DL, FS, TE, as the prime picks and that is pretty much what happened. Usually there is something unpredictable by now. Either I'm getting better at it, or it's a lucky outlier, or it's just more obvious what they'll do this year.

I was:

EDGE (Burns/Sweat) then
TE (Fant/Hock/Stern) or
S (Add/CGJ/Savage) then
OT (Whatever name I recognized :))

If it is any consolation- Casserly  claimed the Packers the winners of the first two days.  Says their picks fit value and need better than any other team.

On the radio this morning in the Twin Cities there was a Michigan fan who said that Gary was easily the best player on their defense until he tweaked his shoulder. Thought that after that he kind of protected himself for the rest of the year.  Thinks we will be very happy with him next year. I know there was very little chatter about Jenkins around this board, but he is an excellent IOL prospect.  If you didn't watch the draft and just looked at it today- I think you would be very pleased.  It's just that while it was going on you get frustrated with the other players going by the wayside.

37 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Your dislike for this pick is well documented. I'll respectfully disagree. Grandpa Graham needs to be replaced and I think this kid may do it. BTW, I could see Tonyan making a leap this year and that wouldn't be a bad thing either. 

TE is the most difficult position to play for a rookie, behind QB.  You not only have to learn all the routes and sync with the QB, you have to learn the blocking scheme and sync with the OL. I dont recall any TE in recent history that did much as a rookie, let alone a 4th rounder.

• Like 1

Unless we sign Mo Wilk, I'd have to think Gary starts at DE in year 1. He'll be part of the rotation with ZDS, playing with his hand in the dirt when he's in the stand-up role and as an edge rusher when he's playing on the DL. He and Zad can share reps together, which is a big plus.

I'm actually not burnt on the Gary pick, like I said earlier, he constantly commanded double and triple teams in college and was still disruptive (more than his stats show), which he won't have to worry about at the next level. If anyone's primed to be a better pro than college player in this draft, it's him.

Darnell Savage, while I hate what we gave up, has sick potential playing opposite Amos.

Elgton Jenkins can instantly start at LG AND potentially replace Bulaga at RT, so nice get there. Even if he doesn't pan out at RT, Billy Turner can be Bulaga's replacement and he can be moved to RG. Versatility, need AND (to a lesser extent) value was there. I get that D.K. Metcalf and A.J. Brown would've been sick value here, moreso than EJ, but I like the pick and totally get the why behind it. 

Sternberger who had surreal value at 75 AND hit a big need. Also, any 2nd+ round receivers probably wouldn't instantly light up the stat sheets, either, just sayin'.

I don't get all the hate for this draft. 

Edited by KManX89

57 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Unless we sign Mo Wilk, I'd have to think Gary starts at DE in year 1. He'll be part of the rotation with ZDS, playing with his hand in the dirt when he's in the stand-up role and as an edge rusher when he's playing on the DL. He and Zad can share reps together, which is a big plus.

I'm actually not burnt on the Gary pick, like I said earlier, he constantly commanded double and triple teams in college and was still disruptive (more than his stats show), which he won't have to worry about at the next level. If anyone's primed to be a better pro than college player in this draft, it's him.

Darnell Savage, while I hate what we gave up, has sick potential playing opposite Amos.

Elgton Jenkins can instantly start at LG AND potentially replace Bulaga at RT, so nice get there. Even if he doesn't pan out at RT, Billy Turner can be Bulaga's replacement and he can be moved to RG. Versatility, need AND (to a lesser extent) value was there. I get that D.K. Metcalf and A.J. Brown would've been sick value here, moreso than EJ, but I like the pick and totally get the why behind it. 

Sternberger who had surreal value at 75 AND hit a big need. Also, any 2nd+ round receivers probably wouldn't instantly light up the stat sheets, either, just sayin'.

I don't get all the hate for this draft. 

I thought I saw a few posts where people actually think Turner is a better fit at LG? Could be wrong, which would mean we could slide Jenkins into the RG spot if he beats out Cole Madison. Agree he could slide out to replace Bulaga at RT next year but so too could Madison. 

One thing is for sure he have some quality depth on the offensive line this year. 

Not too thrilled with the Gary pick. There should be more certainty with a player at 12th overall. 

Conversely, I love the Savage pick. He's aggressive and flies to the ball with an impressive physicality for his size.

I like the Sternberger pick as well. He possesses the intangibles to get open and will add YAC. Greg Cosell even went as far to compare Sternberger slightly to Kelce in the way they manuever on the field. Obviously, Kelce is another tier above Jace athletically, but it was an interesting take nonetheless. 

Overall, I am disappointed that we didn't add more to the offensive side of the ball, especially at WR. Sinking all this draft capital into the defensive side the last 3 or 4 years, has proved to be quite wasteful. 

Edited by Howler

6 minutes ago, Howler said:

Sinking all this draft capital into the defensive side the last 3 or 4 years, has proved to be quite wasteful. 

I think it is a sign of how bad our defense really was the last few years. A rebuild was definently needed. Best thing you can do for a new, young, offensive minded coach is give him a nasty defense to help lift some of the pressure off the offense. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

Jenkins I can certainly see as a week 1 starter, maybe Savage too.  Genuinely curious why you'd think Sternberger would be the week 1 starter over Graham.  Other than injury, I don't see any chance of that happening.  Generally speaking, I don't expect much from early season Sternberger beyond fluff pieces telling us how good he looks in practice.