2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

I'm just wondering which late pick will be the diamond in the rough that we get every single year. 

2018 - MVS (ESB)
2017 - Aaron Jones
2016 - Blake Martinez
2015 - Jake Ryan/Exception year
2014 - Linsley
2013 - Franklin/Hyde
2012 -  Mike Daniels
2011 - Lawrence Guy counts
2010 - James Starks
2009 - TJ Lang
2008 - Sitton
2007 - Bishop/Crosby

The choices are:

Kingsley Keke
Ka'dar Hollman
Dexter Williams
Ty Summers

Catching up....

Gut reaction to the draft?  I really enjoyed my chicken wings in the first round.  Moreso than the picks.  After digesting everything?  Really digging Savage and Gary.  Despite my concern over Gary, I'm going to just label him, Savage and Jenkins as "cornerstones" moving forward.  I think they will be really good players.  Savage is going to "hit" early.  Gonna take Gary and Jenkins a little while, simply due to depth.  But, the talent is there.

I'm lukewarm on Jace.  I think that Tonyan is the better athlete and will be the better TE in 2-3 years.  But, Jace is still solid and I'll enjoy having two of them.  I see Tonyan being a "Graham" type TE, lined up out wide...I see Jace more inside.  I do like that moving forward.

I don't know enough about the rest of the other guys, but I like the RAS scores.  There are some athletes there.   I think that corner is really going to surprise in camp.

Usually I come out of the draft feeling down about who we selected.  Rarely do my favorites get drafted by GB.  Although my faves didn't make it this year (sans Jenkins), I do really like this class.  I feel very optimistic about their future.

RAS Gute!

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm just wondering which late pick will be the diamond in the rough that we get every single year. 

2018 - MVS (ESB)
2017 - Aaron Jones
2016 - Blake Martinez
2014 - Linsley
2013 - Franklin/Hyde
2012 -  Mike Daniels
2010 - James Starks
2009 - TJ Lang
2008 - Sitton
2007 - Bishop/Crosby

The choices are:

Kingsley Keke
Ka'dar Hollman
Dexter Williams
Ty Summers

Best to take the guy least likely.  Last year it was MVS.  This year I'll go with Ka'dar as he is the pick I least liked.  Keke a close 2nd.  Since I like Williams he'll probably flame out.  Ty Summers was an interesting pick.  Don't like him either so he has a legitimate shot to surprise.  ha ha ha...  Ka'dar on the radar.  

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

2018 - MVS (ESB)
2017 - Aaron Jones
2016 - Blake Martinez
2014 - Linsley
2013 - Franklin/Hyde
2012 -  Mike Daniels
2010 - James Starks
2009 - TJ Lang
2008 - Sitton
2007 - Bishop/Crosby

The choices are:

Kingsley Keke
Ka'dar Hollman
Dexter Williams
Ty Summers

How would I know if Kingsley Keke is Khyri Thornton or Jared Allen?

But the scout for Green Bay sure was stoked to have him. I'll roll with Keke being awesome on the scout's say so.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

2018 - MVS (ESB)
2017 - Aaron Jones
2016 - Blake Martinez
2014 - Linsley
2013 - Franklin/Hyde
2012 -  Mike Daniels
2010 - James Starks
2009 - TJ Lang
2008 - Sitton
2007 - Bishop/Crosby

The choices are:

Kingsley Keke
Ka'dar Hollman
Dexter Williams
Ty Summers

Keke

Williams

Hollman

Summers

Would be how I rank them, with Keke and Williams really, really far ahead of Hollman and Summers. 

8 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Walters gave the Packers an F grade for their draft.
I'd be hurt if I gave any creedence to that site. Luckily there is clearwater ahead, and the Packers are in for a revival.

Seriously? F them. I was the only person here still using that site. I'm done.

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Our rookies never do anything in their rookie years?  Must be some other Packer team I've been watching. 

Jaire Alexander - 66 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, .5 sacks, 1 QB hit, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 11 passes defended.
Kenny Clark - 2 passes defended, 1 tackle for loss, 4 QB hits, 2 fumble recoveries (in only two starts)
Damarious Randall - 58 tackles (1 for loss), 14 passes defended, 3 interceptions, 1 TD.
HaHa Clinton-Dix - 92 tackles, 1 sack, 1 interception, 2 interceptions in the Championship game.
Datone Jones - Fumble recovery for 20 yards, 3.5 sacks, 3 tackles for loss, 7 QB hits.
Nick Perry - (6 games) 2 sacks, 2 QB hits
Derek Sherrod - Injury.
Bryan Bulaga - 12 starts and a Super Bowl win
Clay Matthews - 7 passes defended, 3 fumbles recovered, 1 TD, 10 sacks, 17 TFL, 21 QB hits
BJ Raji - 1 sack, 5 TFL, 1 QB hit as a true NT. 

Every single first round pick we've had since 2009 has had a significant impact in their rookie seasons.  Even the busts, and even the semi-busts.  Datone Jones had people excited about his potential, and so did Nick Perry.

Consider what all of those players had opposite them. 

Alexander had almost zero safety help and zero pass rush and he still thrived.  It's why he's literally got the best career outlook we've ever had with a first round pick after their rookie year. 

Savage is going to have Smith and Smith and Daniels and Clark and Gary and Fackrell rushing the passer. 
Gary is going to have Smith and Smith and Daniels and Clark and Fackrell eliminating the possibility to double him.  Since he's the rookie, he's probably going up against single blockers and tight ends.  If he is half as good as I think he's going to be, he's going to be an all-rookie. 

I don't know why it's so hard for everyone to see that this guy has Julius Peppers at 21 athleticism and strength.  I'm so hyped about him that I see him as the face of this franchise once Rodgers retires.  I'm so confident in this and last year's draft class that I think Alexander, Savage and Gary are going to be the foundation of our own stupid nickname for dominant defenses (Legion of Boom, Steel Curtain, etc). 

I look at the makeup of this defensive roster along with a DC who does not want to be a head coach again and I see a future that will have a defense more notable and prolific than the offense, which happens to have an all-time great QB. 

Good write up OP. I think JA's season last year was darned impressive and he missed what 3 games? I will never get used to the bolded though Sackrell. Wow. Your comments on the defense are something I totally agree with. Will take some time to gel but these guys have a chance to be really good. Lots of talent for Pettine to work with.

Edited by PACKRULE

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

2018 - MVS (ESB)
2017 - Aaron Jones
2016 - Blake Martinez
2014 - Linsley
2013 - Franklin/Hyde
2012 -  Mike Daniels
2010 - James Starks
2009 - TJ Lang
2008 - Sitton
2007 - Bishop/Crosby

The choices are:

Kingsley Keke
Ka'dar Hollman
Dexter Williams
Ty Summers

I would go with Dex as Jones has a tendency to get nicked up so Dex could see some snaps.