Golfman

2019 Draft Thoughts

On one hand at least we paid tribute to our Defense between the Draft and FA

On other hand, where is our WR? I mean outside of Allison and Adams we got meh. So basically no real depth at WR if anyone gets hurt.

Really wish we didn’t trade away the RD 3 picks for a S, could have picked up a safety, WR, and CB in RD 3 with the picks we had.

Not a fan of this obsession with needing a TE so high in the draft. 

7 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

Best thing you can do for a new, young, offensive minded coach is give him a nasty defense to help lift some of the pressure off the offense. 

Plus I think next year's draft will be much stronger in the offensive skill positions.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

On other hand, where is our WR? I mean outside of Allison and Adams we got meh. So basically no real depth at WR if anyone gets hurt.

Really wish we didn’t trade away the RD 3 picks for a S, could have picked up a safety, WR, and CB in RD 3 with the picks we had.

You are losing me with the RD3 picks thing.  You mean the RD4 picks?  I'm also not sure at all that Allison should be separated from the other WR's not named Adams.  To me the WR group is Adams... and everyone else.

Edited by Mazrimiv

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

You are losing me with the RD3 picks thing.  You mean the RD4 picks?

Yes

1 minute ago, PackGymRat said:

Yes

I get the general idea of not liking to lose the RD4 picks, but I don't see where any WR or CB picked in those lost slots would be been an improvement over what the team already has.

15 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

You're forgetting the two ultra talented rookie receivers from last year who showed a lot of promise, MVS and ESB. Not to mention Moore, who I'm still really high on. I'm not disagreeing with the thought of adding another WR, hell, I probably would've drafted AJ Brown at 44, but I have high hopes for our young WRs. 

I was also on the AJ Brown train at #44.  Once that ship sailed, what the team could have picked up at #75 (and beyond) was not going to be a huge upgrade compared to what is already on the roster.

12 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

You're forgetting the two ultra talented rookie receivers from last year who showed a lot of promise, MVS and ESB. Not to mention Moore, who I'm still really high on. I'm not disagreeing with the thought of adding another WR, hell, I probably would've drafted AJ Brown at 44, but I have high hopes for our young WRs. 

MVS has speed and I am high on him. The fact that he didn’t get a higher use on offense makes me stumped wether it was MM being stupid or other factors such as route running issues.

1 hour ago, PackGymRat said:

So is quantity better than quality? I would rather the team move to maximize their draft board than just sitting and taking the board as it falls! You won’t win every time but youbget the guy you’re targeting 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Jenkins I can certainly see as a week 1 starter, maybe Savage too.  Genuinely curious why you'd think Sternberger would be the week 1 starter over Graham.  Other than injury, I don't see any chance of that happening.  Generally speaking, I don't expect much from early season Sternberger beyond fluff pieces telling us how good he looks in practice.

From what I saw of Graham last year he's in serious decline athletically. I don't see that reversing itself this year. In fact, I'd not be surprised if it did not accelerate. 

I don't disagree that Graham looked to be in clear decline, but he wasn't a complete train wreck.  Other than QB, I'd probably label TE as the least likely position for a mid(ish) RD pick to come in and start in week 1.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I don't disagree that Graham looked to be in clear decline, but he wasn't a complete train wreck.  Other than QB, I'd probably label TE as the least likely position for a mid(ish) RD pick to come in and start in week 1.

You are probably right, but if that is the case TE will be a weakness unless Tonyan makes a huge leap and starts. I hold little hope that Graham is going to be a serious thread this season.

4 hours ago, Golfman said:

Your dislike for this pick is well documented. I'll respectfully disagree. Grandpa Graham needs to be replaced and I think this kid may do it. BTW, I could see Tonyan making a leap this year and that wouldn't be a bad thing either. 

Don’t think that makes a difference. I really like the pick and think he’s the least likely to start. 

Didnt Haha start as a rookie?  I actually think Savage is the favorite to start at FS

For those who care....if you don't, so be it.

sigma athlete scores for the GB picks thus far

Pos rank

# Name ID Pos. School Age HT WT pSPARQ z-score NFL% Last Name AL HS WING 40 YD 20 YD 10 YD Shuttle 3-Cone BP Vert. Broad
4 Rashan Gary DL37 DE Michigan 21.7 6043 277 141.7 1.7 95.1 Gary 34.13 9.63 81.875 4.58 2.67 1.61 4.29 7.26 26 38 10
12 Darnell Savage DB56 CB Maryland 22.1 5106 198 128.2 1.1 85.5 Savage 31 9.13 74.75 4.36 2.58 1.56 4.14 7.03 11 39.5 10.5
128 Elgton Jenkins OL29 OC Mississippi State 23.7 6044 310       Jenkins 34 10.25 83       4.62 7.77 29 28 9.08
20 Jace Sternberger TE17 TE Texas A&M 23.2 6040 251 106.8 -0.8 22 Sternberger 32.13 9.75 77.25 4.75 2.82 1.7 4.31 7.19 17 31.5 9.42
12 Kingsley Keke DL09 DT Texas A&M 22.9 6025 288 109.8 -0.1 46.4 Keke 34.5 9.75 82.5 4.95 2.89 1.76 4.46 7.38 20 31.5 9.25
19 Kadar Hollman NA CB Toledo   5116 196 123.8 0.6 73.7 Hollman       4.38 2.6 1.56 4.23 6.81 18 38.5 9.92
10 Dexter Williams RB26 RB Notre Dame 22.7 5111 212 127.9 0.5 70.1 Williams 32.25 9.63 76.875 4.57 2.67 1.61 4.16 7 17 36 10.83

Top 20 players at their positions except for Jenkins, mostly due to his not having the 40, 20 adn 10 splits

No FA or drafted WRs.
We'll see about the UDFAs.
What Gutes saying is: 2018 wasnt on the WRs.