2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

1 hour ago, SSG said:

just becasue you'd never watched anythign but a highlight video of Savage doesn't mean the Terps go completely unwatched.  Of course I don't go out to watch them but I try watching MSU, OSU, Iowa, Wisky and PSU games when ever they don't interfere with the Michigan games and the Terps are on the schedule.  I went back and watched the Michigan game for S&G to see if I missed anything.  It was their best passing game of the year.  While Savage had a tipped ball land in his arms he struggled terribly. He was beat in coverage mutiple times, showed terrible tackling ability and caused a TD by taking out a fellow defender going for an INT.

The idea that he was the best DB in college football last year but because fans didn't watch the Terps, no one knew is crazy.  Had Chauncey Gardner- Johnson, Thornhill, Rapp or Adderley ran that 40, they'd all have been drafted before Savage.  He rose because of his 40 time not because he was a differance maker on the field.  Fnas are makign him out to be a better prospect than Derwin James now because he's a Packer.  IMO, it's exactly the same thing most would have said regardless of the safety that was drafted.  

I've now watched multiple game tapes, and I definitely do not see the same things you are.   I honestly do think he was the best Senior safety in the country.

Rapp ran in the 4.7's while Adderley was in the 4.6 range and played at a lower level.   If we drafted either of them, I hesitate to imagine the scathing review of the pick that you would provide.       While he isn't a Derwin James level prospect IMO, he is an excellent addition to the GB Packers.  

The negative lens you see all things through really must make for a difficult life.   You accuse others of ill advised optimism yet exhibit the exact same behavior in the negative.   

• Like 2

The Draft Network : My 5 Favorite Draft Classes

The Packers didnt make the cut........
These guys did: 

New Orleans Saints
New York Jets
Tennessee Titans
Washington Redskins
Seattle Seahawks

Near misses:

We didnt make this cut either.........
These guys did:

Arizona Cardinals
Los Angeles Chargers
Buffalo Bills

Oh well.

11 hours ago, SSG said:

just becasue you'd never watched anythign but a highlight video of Savage doesn't mean the Terps go completely unwatched.  Of course I don't go out to watch them but I try watching MSU, OSU, Iowa, Wisky and PSU games when ever they don't interfere with the Michigan games and the Terps are on the schedule.  I went back and watched the Michigan game for S&G to see if I missed anything.  It was their best passing game of the year.  While Savage had a tipped ball land in his arms he struggled terribly. He was beat in coverage mutiple times, showed terrible tackling ability and caused a TD by taking out a fellow defender going for an INT.

So...you're telling me that when you were watching Maryland when Savage was considered a Day 3 prospect, you had the awareness to watch enough of Savage?  I find that incredibly hard to believe.

11 hours ago, SSG said:

The idea that he was the best DB in college football last year but because fans didn't watch the Terps, no one knew is crazy.  Had Chauncey Gardner- Johnson, Thornhill, Rapp or Adderley ran that 40, they'd all have been drafted before Savage.  He rose because of his 40 time not because he was a differance maker on the field.  Fnas are makign him out to be a better prospect than Derwin James now because he's a Packer.  IMO, it's exactly the same thing most would have said regardless of the safety that was drafted.  

No.  I think the concept that because he was viewed as a Day 3 prospect several months ago, and suddenly that a 40 yard dash makes a player jump from Day 3 to a Day 1 pick to be ridiculous.  I'm not sure how little you think of GMs, but if you think they're that reactionary to a 40 yard dash time is stupid.

2 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I think they would of had Oliver over him on their board tbh. Definitely over Hockerson though 

I mean it's kind of weird to me that people were all in on Oliver who also didn't like Gary much.  Gary is every bit the freak athlete with unlimited potential that Oliver was, and both were 5* guys who didn't put up great stats.  It's just that what impeded Oliver's box score is easy to explain (they played him out of position and dropped 8 guys in coverage almost every snap) and what went wrong with Gary's box score is subtler and requires deeper analysis to see.

I mean, ceteris paribus I'd rather have the 6043 280 lb freak athlete with 34 1/8" arms than the 6017 280 lb freak athlete with the 31 3/4" arms.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean it's kind of weird to me that people were all in on Oliver who also didn't like Gary much.  Gary is every bit the freak athlete with unlimited potential that Oliver was, and both were 5* guys who didn't put up great stats.  It's just that what impeded Oliver's box score is easy to explain (they played him out of position and dropped 8 guys in coverage almost every snap) and what went wrong with Gary's box score is subtler and requires deeper analysis to see.

I mean, ceteris paribus I'd rather have the 6043 280 lb freak athlete with 34 1/8" arms than the 6017 280 lb freak athlete with the 31 3/4" arms.

I mean you're probably right about the Gary's size they like those lengthy guys in Pettines scheme. I think Oliver and Gary have some of the same traits but I think Oliver was more disruptive to me on tape. Cant go wrong with either though 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 9:12 PM, incognito_man said:

We added 2 starting-caliber OGs, a top 75 pick at TE and versatile RB. We have 3 WRs poised for a potential year 2 breakout.

How do we possibly have "less offense" than 2018?

We lost a 38 rec, 380 yd, 2 TD WR and added what I mentioned above. You're nuts if you think this offense looks worse than 2018.

This ignores the fact all of our starting offense is a year older. Whilst that may be a good thing for the receivers, the NFL is a young man's game and we have critical offensive players who are starting to get old, will potentially slow down and be more vulnerable to injuries.

• Rodgers
  • Bakhtieri
  • Bulaga
  • Adams
  • Graham

These are all critical players with no back-up we can be happy with (if Adams goes down Geronimo is our Number 1 WR - think that through) and they are all players well into their second contract or beyond. We can't afford to lose any of these but they all have injury history and they are all vulnerable to slowing down. There's a good chance at least a couple of these will go down during the season.

NFL players have a short lifespan. You have to keep re-stocking with young talent or you will go backwards very quickly. Its nice to finally draft an offensive player before the third day, but I don't think we have done enough over the last two drafts to restock the offense with young talent so we are basically going backwards. We might be OK offensively, if they key players don't regress, we get lucky with injuries then we might be fine. But it looks precarious. There is a huge amount on the shoulders of an increasingly injury-prone 35 year old who doesn't look like he is what he was.

As per previous posts - the onus needs to be on the defence. If Rodgers stays intact, the offence should be good enough if it isn't expected to win us games. Most of the restocking of young talent has been on defence so it needs to stand up and be our main strength.

• Like 1

It’s been a few days, so after digesting;

-The Gary pick still hasn’t grown on me. I get it (freak upside), just I need to see production before I like it.

-Savage has grown on me a lot after watching more of him. I see the range and aggressive nature the team saw. I didn’t see that in the rest of the class (mostly 4.5 guys). Hopefully he isn’t too small.

-the rest of the class I had no problem with. I don’t want too drunk too much koolaide. History says if we get 2 starter, that’s a good draft (3 is a home run). I definitely see the potential in these guys. Dex and Jace probably get 20-30% of the snaps this year. KeKe will get 2 years to develop. Jenkins might start. The corner and Summers probably make the team as STers for a year or 2. Overall good class.

Edited by pacman5252

12 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Packers – 40:47

I know some like Kollmann here, thinks we had one of the best drafts. Think he was one of the only ones to have Gary going to us.

It's a matter of seeing the Gary fit. Simms saw it too. He's not a good chess piece for others but perfect for Pettine. Michigan's number 1 or 2 defense ran thru Gary. He'll have a more moving role in GB but will be a wrecker. His size makes him a bit more versatile than Oliver. Four freaky bigs were Q Williams, Lawrence, Gary, and Oliver (Simmons just behind). I think they are all very likely boom guys, high character. Lawrence was dogged the same as Gary. Again, Simms break down on Lawrence was terrific too. He did the grunt work, didn't complain, but has a ton of potential. Gary and Oliver also did the grunt work. If used differently, they could have all had Q Williams like years.

We got a good one. Bush went to Pittsburg, Winovich to NE. We got the key to that Michigan defense though. Very good program imo (but didn't develop technique much). High character guys which both Pittsburg and BB value. He was our pick over Oliver too I think. Just a perfect Pettine fit, like Oliver is gonna be great in Buffalo.

A lot of better analysts loved the GB draft but don't get what Gary did in Michigan or what Pettine intends for him in GB. Gute killed this draft. It's all on paper now, but again best draft I remember. And yeah, this was a deeeep class. Most teams actually got "their" guys. That just rarely happens in any draft. Like Ballard said, 20-70 were all about the same value, just a matter of what flavor you like (and fit). Savage, Jenkins, Sternberger are great fits in GB and great value too in any draft.

14 hours ago, Leader said:

The Draft Network : My 5 Favorite Draft Classes

The Packers didnt make the cut........
These guys did: 

New Orleans Saints
New York Jets
Tennessee Titans
Washington Redskins
Seattle Seahawks

Near misses:

We didnt make this cut either.........
These guys did:

Arizona Cardinals
Los Angeles Chargers
Buffalo Bills

Oh well.

New Orleans gave up yet another future pick. CGJ has serious off field issues. Why he fell (per Pauline). So, he might work out. Great. But he was off some boards. 

Titans I liked a lot (but it hinges on Simmons coming back).

Jets didn't quite get what they really wanted. Obviously Q Williams is a nice consolation prize.

Seattle..... we'll see. I am not as big on them as most. It was ok.

Washington depends on how those picks work. I'm not as big on the players they took. Some bust in them for sure.

Chargers and Bills had much better drafts imo. The Cards neglected oline but had some great picks. It hinges on Murray though. So let's wait.

Packers, Bills, Colts, NE I put at the top. I don't see those drafts failing. Too many solid picks. Titans, Steelers, Philadelphia, and Raiders were next tier. (I just don't like the move up by Pittsburg. They paid a lot but picked some great players later.) The others have to wait because of some bust potential

2 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

It’s been a few days, so after digesting;

-The Gary pick still hasn’t grown on me. I get it (freak upside), just I need to see production before I like it.

-Savage has grown on me a lot after watching more of him. I see the range and aggressive nature the team saw. I didn’t see that in the rest of the class (mostly 4.5 guys). Hopefully he isn’t too small.

-the rest of the class I had no problem with. I don’t want too drunk too much koolaide. History says if we get 2 starter, that’s a good draft (3 is a home run). I definitely see the potential in these guys. Dex and Jace probably get 20-30% of the snaps this year. KeKe will get 2 years to develop. Jenkins might start. The corner and Summers probably make the team as STers for a year or 2. Overall good class.

It's fair to question the Gary pick .. even if you buy in to the idea that the scheme held him back from posting good numbers there's still the shoulder issue, and also the fact that he isn't a very polished pass rusher.  I think the desire and athletic skills are there to improve, but he comes with some risk for sure.  I'm trying to stay positive in this one .. thinking that Pettine will figure out a way to get the most out of him.

• Like 1