2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

18 hours ago, hitnhope said:

I've now watched multiple game tapes, and I definitely do not see the same things you are.   I honestly do think he was the best Senior safety in the country.

Rapp ran in the 4.7's while Adderley was in the 4.6 range and played at a lower level.   If we drafted either of them, I hesitate to imagine the scathing review of the pick that you would provide.       While he isn't a Derwin James level prospect IMO, he is an excellent addition to the GB Packers.  

The negative lens you see all things through really must make for a difficult life.   You accuse others of ill advised optimism yet exhibit the exact same behavior in the negative.   

So in other words the Packers brass are idiots and you are smart. Got it LOL.

2 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

So in other words the Packers brass are idiots and you are smart. Got it LOL.

Not sure what you are saying here  … the poster is agreeing with what the Packers brass did not dissing them.  Am I missing something?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

New Orleans gave up yet another future pick. CGJ has serious off field issues. Why he fell (per Pauline). So, he might work out. Great. But he was off some boards.

I actually scanned the details of the article for the first time this morning and was somewhat surprised to read:  The big steal was obviously Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, a Top-15 player for me with attitude concerns large enough to push him into Day 3.

You're saying "off field issues" they're saying "attitude concerns" - without killing it with details that really dont matter at this juncture, do you know what they're referring to? I'd not picked up on that in any of the pre-draft stuff. 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's fair to question the Gary pick .. even if you buy in to the idea that the scheme held him back from posting good numbers there's still the shoulder issue, and also the fact that he isn't a very polished pass rusher.  I think the desire and athletic skills are there to improve, but he comes with some risk for sure.  I'm trying to stay positive in this one .. thinking that Pettine will figure out a way to get the most out of him.

I think he will greatly benefit from not having to be "The Man".  With the Smith's, Clark and Daniels, I think Gary will thrive at not being doubled all the time.  This pro game should be easier for him for a while.

Now, had we not gotten two starting EDGE guys?  Different story.  If he's out there as your #1 or #2 EDGE, he would get a lot of attention.  But that shouldn't be how this goes down.

I really like how he can come in, learn and just be part of the mix versus having to come in as some sort of savior to the defense.  This is a great spot for him to be in.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Leader said:

I actually scanned the details of the article for the first time this morning and was somewhat surprised to read:  The big steal was obviously Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, a Top-15 player for me with attitude concerns large enough to push him into Day 3.

You're saying "off field issues" they're saying "attitude concerns" - without killing it with details that really dont matter at this juncture, do you know what they're referring to? I'd not picked up on that in any of the pre-draft stuff. 

Pauline reported after day two of the draft that CGJ has serious off field issues. If there are on field problems too, then he's off a lot of boards. In no way can I regard him a "steal". That's a big time boom bust player.

Let the angst over 'draft grades' go.  If you drafted guys the Kipers of the world thought you should you will get a good grade.  CGJ is a great example, the real, employed evaluators saw him as a third day prospect- but some pundit thought he was a top 15?  Then that pundit gives you an A for drafting a questionable prospect.  Washington taking Haskins at 15 is getting lauded while the Giants are being crucified for Jones at 6.  Well, in todays NFL wouldn't you rather have the very mobile QB?  6 and 15 were examples of the QB syndrome- both were highly overdrafted.  So relax, Gary has all the tools, Savage has all the tools- it's up to our coaching staffs to bring it out.   I would have been really excited if they would've taken Burns at 12, but Gary is more stout against the run and that seems to be Pettine's preference. So be it.  Go Pack.

• Like 1

Anybody who pays attention to a draft evaluator who gives the team with the fewest picks (Saints) a top five grade because they drafted a center, two safeties, a seventh round tight end and a seventh round ILB deserves to not have faith in our draft class. 

9 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Let the angst over 'draft grades' go.  If you drafted guys the Kipers of the world thought you should you will get a good grade.  CGJ is a great example, the real, employed evaluators saw him as a third day prospect- but some pundit thought he was a top 15?  Then that pundit gives you an A for drafting a questionable prospect.  Washington taking Haskins at 15 is getting lauded while the Giants are being crucified for Jones at 6.  Well, in todays NFL wouldn't you rather have the very mobile QB?  6 and 15 were examples of the QB syndrome- both were highly overdrafted.  So relax, Gary has all the tools, Savage has all the tools- it's up to our coaching staffs to bring it out.   I would have been really excited if they would've taken Burns at 12, but Gary is more stout against the run and that seems to be Pettine's preference. So be it.  Go Pack.

But what would the armchair GM's cry about when they're wrong every year? They need to shed tears! Don't deny them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaireAlex said:

Pauline reported after day two of the draft that CGJ has serious off field issues. If there are on field problems too, then he's off a lot of boards. In no way can I regard him a "steal". That's a big time boom bust player.

Off the field issues, also, watching his tape, CGJ was pretty clearly a second/third round talent if he was clean. He didn't have the burst in space of Savage by any means (or pop). He was just kind of solid. 4.5 speed with a  36 inch vert isn't anything special either.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I think he will greatly benefit from not having to be "The Man".  With the Smith's, Clark and Daniels, I think Gary will thrive at not being doubled all the time.  This pro game should be easier for him for a while.

Now, had we not gotten two starting EDGE guys?  Different story.  If he's out there as your #1 or #2 EDGE, he would get a lot of attention.  But that shouldn't be how this goes down.

I really like how he can come in, learn and just be part of the mix versus having to come in as some sort of savior to the defense.  This is a great spot for him to be in.

I think even more than that he'll benefit from being a situational player and being able to focus on a single aspect of his game.  More than being doubled, Gary's primary job at Michigan was setting a hard edge and messing up blocking schemes; pass rush reps were secondary in importance.  Playing situationally, Gary will generally know what kind of down he's in on, either run or pass, and hopefully it'll allow him to really focus on refining his technique.

Tell you what...last year about this time I thought that this was the worst Packer roster that I'd seen in quite some time.  I thought if Rodgers played like Godgers, GB would have a chance to be good.  And, well, we know how last year went down.

This year?  I feel much, much better about the roster.  I'm actually excited about the new coach and new scheme.  Change is good and it was needed.  I love the new EDGE players.  And I love the versatility that Jenkins and Turner now give us on the o-line.  

Feeling pretty darned good about the changes in 1265.  

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Tell you what...last year about this time I thought that this was the worst Packer roster that I'd seen in quite some time.  I thought if Rodgers played like Godgers, GB would have a chance to be good.  And, well, we know how last year went down.

This year?  I feel much, much better about the roster.  I'm actually excited about the new coach and new scheme.  Change is good and it was needed.  I love the new EDGE players.  And I love the versatility that Jenkins and Turner now give us on the o-line.  

lets just hope that all of the Godgers years were not used up already. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm a little more excited about the defense in Year 2 of Pettine, especially because of the FA signings and subsequent draft choices. The McShay's and Kiper's of the world wanted offense, offense, offense, weapons, weapons, weapons, which would've been idiotic IMHO. Reviewing more of Sternberger's tape, it really appears that we may have gotten a poor man's Hockenson in him. Same 40, same receiving skills, same athleticism, same awareness, etc. 

Very leery of MLF's scheme. Lots of similar language, but the words mean something completely different. When will a lapse in the adjustment occur, especially coming off the heels of confusion amongst the players on whether or not A-Rod is play-calling or audibling vs. MM. Then there's the level of success MLF had at Tennessee last year and how he ignored Derrick Henry for half the year. We don't have a Derrick Henry type player on our roster at the moment or at least not a big back like Henry. Monty was the closest thing we had to him last year and....well...yeah...