2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's a sample size of "just about every free agent in history" that disagrees with that assessment. 

"I get paid more than that guy" is about ego and keeping score not about "I can buy slightly more things with a few more million dollars."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

"I get paid more than that guy" is about ego and keeping score not about "I can buy slightly more things with a few more million dollars."

How many of these guys go broke??? It is absolutely about how much more cool **** they can buy. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How many of these guys go broke??? It is absolutely about how much more cool **** they can buy. 

Like the way NFL players go broke is sort of a way you could go broke with literally any amount of money.   Having more money means you just invest more in your bad investments, or the people ripping you off can rip you off for more. 

Like NFL players should always try to get paid as much as possible, because the people whose checks they are cashing deserve that money much less than the players do, but ultimately things like "cost of living" or "taxes" in one location compared to another are negligible.

• Like 1

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

Like the way NFL players go broke is sort of a way you could go broke with literally any amount of money.   Having more money means you just invest more in your bad investments, or the people ripping you off can rip you off for more. 

Like NFL players should always try to get paid as much as possible, because the people whose checks they are cashing deserve that money much less than the players do, but ultimately things like "cost of living" or "taxes" in one location compared to another are negligible.

It's literally 50% more expensive to live in San Francisco than Dallas. There absolutely is a difference. 

When guys have extra money (often because they've bought all the stupid **** they can think of), they tend to hand it to their agent who invests it at least semi responsibly. 

1 hour ago, SSG said:

To each his own!  What in the Michigan game did you see different?  I'm interest in the moments where you viewed Savage as a differance maker in the game, or elite.  

Some plays that stood out to me in regards to Savage.

• -Hurdled by Ben Mason after one of the more embarrassing attempts at a tackle in the flats early in the 1st.  Mason went on to go for 8-10 more yards getting the first down.   
  • - Was beat in man coverage on multiple occasions from the slot.... Ronnie Bell once and I believe Grant Perry a second time.  JAGs
  • - He was over aggressive on ton of play fakes.  You could make the argument that he could have been responsible for 4 TDs if not for a couple bad throws (Grant Perry under threw their TE in the 2nd and Patterson missed JPJ late in the 2nd a fake screen both, receivers were his responsibility) ... huge gainer on first down by Gentry in the 1st, another huge gainer by Nico Collins in the second where he bit on a fake.
  • - He took out his own teammate on the Ronnie Bell TD. A score that wouldn't have happened without the collision.
  • - He totally blew his responsibility on the 3rd quarter JPJ TD. His teammate was screaming and pointing at the open WR as Savage stood there watching the butterflies.  

I found very little positive about Savage in that game so I'm interest in hearing the plethora of positives that you seem to have taken from it.  That piss poor Michigan passing attack looked unstoppable that game and it was in part because of Savage's play.

Just because I don't view Savage as an elite prospect and "the best DB in college football" doesn't mean it's an overly negative opinion. He's a decent player but he's not a difference maker IMO.  I struggled to view him as an elite prospect after rewatching the Michigan and Ohio State games.  He made a couple nice plays in the Ohio State game but he still had some costly mistakes with the reckless abandon that he'll bite on a fake.   I've said on multiple occasions that he's a good player, but i don't see him being a great one. 

Had we used 3 picks on one of the safeties you mentioned, yeah, I'd probably had issues with it.  A mediocre group of safties with not one of them worth half of your top 6 picks.  I thought Chauncey Gardner-Johnson was the best safety in this draft.  He too played against Michigan this year and he played on an entirely differant level than Savage.  He was the best player on both sides of the ball that game.  

Being objective and having accountability hasn't made my life hard at all.  If anything it's done the opposite.  I'm not one that's close minded because someone doesn't share my same opinion.  I completely understand that some aren't capable of being objective when it comes to their sports teams.  Being in the Army for 18+ years I take accountability serious and can't afford to ignore the negatives.  I call it like I see it and that opinion isn't changing just because a player is a Packer.  Must be a good feeling for you to now believe that we've got the best DB in the country on our team after the fact.

There isn't a prospect around where you can't find negative plays.  If they play, they have negative plays.    It seems you spent your time searching and finding the negative rather than looking at the total picture.  Assigning touchdowns on plays where there were incompletions shows your mindset.

Go to the game between Miss St and Alabama.   There are a number of plays where our pick took Q. Williams out completely.  There are also some plays where Williams wins and applies pressure.

If you can't find positives in his play you either haven't watched very much, or couldn't find any safety play that would impress you.  There is nothing anybody could say that will turn your view around.   Only you can go forward with a more balanced look at draft prospects.   If you think you are being objective with your summary it is useless to carry the conversation any further.  I am typically told that I am overly critical and too pessimistic regarding our prospects.   It is one thing to take a close and critical view.   Yours borders bears little resemblance to reality.   The fact that most of the other deep safeties went a full round later, or more, shows that my view is closer to what the professionals who do this for a living is.   Seems you took the word of amateurs with limited information and choose to believe their bloviations.

MMQB:

GRADE: B+

Green Bay Packers

1 (12). Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan
1 (21). Darnell Savage, Jr., S, Maryland
2 (44). Elgton Jenkins, C, Mississippi State
3 (75). Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M
5 (150). Kingsley Keke, DE, Texas A&M
6 (185). Ka’dar Hollman, CB, Toledo
6 (194). Dexter Williams, RB, Notre Dame
7 (226). Ty Summers, LB, TCU

Part of why the Packers pay Aaron Rodgers huge money is they believe he makes everyone on offense better. Therefore this team can afford to invest primarily on defense, which it has now done with its first pick every year since 2011. Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine believes in two key things: aggressive, destructive play up front (as opposed to sounder but more passive play) and diversity in coverage personnel. And so the Packers took a flyer on the uber-talented Rashan Gary, even though their defensive line did not have any holes to fill. Some have debated what position Gary will play. With Green Bay’s diverse fronts, the answer will be ... many.

Nine picks after Gary, the Packers called hard-hitting safety Darnell Savage, who at Maryland played back deep and in the slot. Savage will likely be moved around, with his best chance at playing time coming as a free safety, given that expensive free agent ex-Bear Adrian Amos is best as a strong safety and 2017 second-rounder Josh Jones is best as a dime linebacker.

Day 2 was spent giving resources to Rodgers. Elgton Jenkins indirectly provides an answer at right tackle, as free agent pickup Billy Turner can slide over there from guard next year when Bryan Bulaga likely departs. TE Jace Sternberger has drawn comparisons, stylistically, to Travis Kelce. Remember how effective Rodgers was with receiving tight end Jared Cook a few years ago? With Sternberger and Jimmy Graham, he now has two (that means schematic flexibility), with Sternberger doubling as the long-term answer to replace the aging Graham either in 2020 or ’21.

33 minutes ago, Leader said:

MMQB:

GRADE: B+

Green Bay Packers

1 (12). Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan
1 (21). Darnell Savage, Jr., S, Maryland
2 (44). Elgton Jenkins, C, Mississippi State
3 (75). Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M
5 (150). Kingsley Keke, DE, Texas A&M
6 (185). Ka’dar Hollman, CB, Toledo
6 (194). Dexter Williams, RB, Notre Dame
7 (226). Ty Summers, LB, TCU

Part of why the Packers pay Aaron Rodgers huge money is they believe he makes everyone on offense better. Therefore this team can afford to invest primarily on defense, which it has now done with its first pick every year since 2011. Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine believes in two key things: aggressive, destructive play up front (as opposed to sounder but more passive play) and diversity in coverage personnel. And so the Packers took a flyer on the uber-talented Rashan Gary, even though their defensive line did not have any holes to fill. Some have debated what position Gary will play. With Green Bay’s diverse fronts, the answer will be ... many.

Nine picks after Gary, the Packers called hard-hitting safety Darnell Savage, who at Maryland played back deep and in the slot. Savage will likely be moved around, with his best chance at playing time coming as a free safety, given that expensive free agent ex-Bear Adrian Amos is best as a strong safety and 2017 second-rounder Josh Jones is best as a dime linebacker.

Day 2 was spent giving resources to Rodgers. Elgton Jenkins indirectly provides an answer at right tackle, as free agent pickup Billy Turner can slide over there from guard next year when Bryan Bulaga likely departs. TE Jace Sternberger has drawn comparisons, stylistically, to Travis Kelce. Remember how effective Rodgers was with receiving tight end Jared Cook a few years ago? With Sternberger and Jimmy Graham, he now has two (that means schematic flexibility), with Sternberger doubling as the long-term answer to replace the aging Graham either in 2020 or ’21.

WRONG!!! We have one starter, one guy on the back half of his career, and a bunch of rotational guys...

3 hours ago, Chili said:

Just rewatched the moment Gary got selected. You have him on camera crying and his friends and family are behind him and they looked miserable. When the selection was confirmed on tv everyone fake cheered and his mother on his left looked absolutely gutted. Didn't even cheer. xD

I can hear her thinking "Dang! now I have to visit my son in frozen Green Bay instead sunny Miami" 

I really hope his tears were of happiness rather than disappointment. 9_9

Edit: I've done some sleuthing. Its even weirder than I've imagined.

This is what I watched where you can see Gary crying and the weird reactions from the people behind him and the disinterest from his mother: https://www.packers.com/video/packers-daily-april-30

Well I found a new angle where the reaction is completely different: 

I can't seem to reconcile the two scenes together. If you look on the 2nd video you can see Gary crying on TV in the background yet his family in this video is celebrating genuinely and without any tears from Gary. That seems to be live yet the TV on the wall you see him crying. Impossible!

I tell you what I think the crying scene was faked. :oxD

Edit 2: On second thoughts I think it might not be faked. The crying from Gary and the reactions from the people around him may have been real the first time round. These people were actually disappointed imo.

My evidence is that the crying scene has him without the cap. After the crying and brief walkabout he went back to his chair and that's when you can briefly see him getting hold of the packers cap.

Cue 2nd video the cap is on his lap, he regained his composure and puts the hat on and now the reactions by the family is done again for the benefit of the tv cameras. This time his mother is cheering. It's basically a take 2. This time the happy reactions imo is fake.

I will leave you all to draw your own conclusions from this.

Edit 3: I've finally decided i'm reading too much into this. 1st video shows the moment he received the call hence the crying, you also see that when he picks the packers cap up the family behind him starts cheering except for his mother. In the 2nd video you see him regain composure and put the cap on, the family cheers the 2nd time because it was confirmed on tv and then his mother finally cheered.

Much ado about nothing I think. Feel free to put me on ignore. xD 

(pls don't)

I think they are being quiet in the one clip mainly because he is talking on the phone and needs to be able to hear. The notion of the entire family fake cheering seems far-fetched. I would be willing to believe that having him go to a cold weather city that's far away (he's a New Jersey boy) may be less exciting for his family than some other options, but I still think it was a great moment for all of them to hear his name called. 

Well, some believed that Gary was going to be the Giants pick at #6, with Bosa and Allen conceivably off the board and Gary as the next Gettleman friendly edge (it was him or Sweat, but Sweat had the medical question).  So I can see the Gary clan being somewhat disappointed he didn't go there and possibly hoping the Giants could get him with their second pick.  All of that is understandable.

But it really doesn't matter if Gary's retinue is unwilling to follow him to Ashwaubenon... in fact, it's likely preferable they stay home in Jersey.

4 hours ago, Chili said:

Much ado about nothing I think. Feel free to put me on ignore. xD 

(pls don't)

If you can’t work through these things with us then where can you work through them?

That will be five cents, please. 

Edited by blueswedeshoes

1 hour ago, Joe said:

WRONG!!! We have one starter, one guy on the back half of his career, and a bunch of rotational guys...

Considering we use only two down linemen a lot ofthe time and both Smith's can play with their hands in the dirt, Green Bay is sitting just fine along the DL.

• Like 1