2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

20 hours ago, SSG said:

For every player you pick to be the next Nick Collins, you strike out 8 or 9 times. Much of the fan base had exactly this same sort of excitement about Josh Jones and we've seen how that's worked out 2 seasons later. 

People were very high on Jones' athleticism.  

With Savage, people are very high on his ball skills and instincts.  Plus he has athleticism to boot.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You clearly haven't done any post draft reading if you haven't seen the Earl Thomas comps. They're actually hard to miss. Scouts don't compare prospects to HOF NFL players, they compare prospects to prospects, thus Savage coming out of Maryland reminds them of Thomas coming out of Texas.

I'm sure there has been.  Terrible comps happen every year.  I remember when Teddy Bridgewater got comped with Aaron Rodgers.  Or when HHCD got comped to Eric Berry.  There is undeserved infatuation with players every year. 

I'd love to hear why they see it the comp given the drastic difference in play during college.  IMO height is the only thing comparable.  Not even size given the drastic difference in build.  Thomas was 10-15 lbs bigger and a ball of muscle.  He was substantially stronger than the much more wirey Savage. 

Thomas had just as many INTs his last year at Texas as Savage had in his entire 40 game college career.  Thomas  had games his last year at Texas where he had more passes defended than Savage had over his entire senior year.  Even if the substantial difference in production is ignored, Thomas started every game of his career at Safety.  Savage was used in the slot twice as much as he was any other position. 

A much better comp is Damarius Randall.  Size, athleticism, ball skills, instincts and usage are far more similar than the same for Earl Thomas.  Thomas was an entirely different caliber of college football player IMO.  He dominated his last year at Texas.  While Savage is a good player, he was never the difference maker that Thomas was at Texas that last year. 

1 minute ago, rcon14 said:

Comping anyone to Earl Thomas is stupid. He's one of the best safeties to ever play.

Agreed - but I believe those comps are nothing more than stylistic comparisons between the players. The "NFL Player Comp" stuff. He looks and moves like ET.

I saw video of Ed Oliver - made me think of Aaron Donald. Thats it. Didnt - and most importantly..... - couldnt say he was as good as Donald. Its nothing more than football chatter.

In the pre-draft chatter I said I wanted a player *like" ET to be roaming centerfield for GB. Somebody with the speed and sideline to sideline hunger to get at the football, RB or WR with the ball.

To think otherwise at this point. To extend the thought (or dare I say....) discussion beyond that would be ludicrous.

Savage hasnt played one single down in the NFL yet.

I dont get the gist or goals of all this micro-player analysis. What is the intent? What possibly can be determined?

The guys havent played a down yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Comping anyone to Earl Thomas is stupid. He's one of the best safeties to ever play.

That's not how comps work. Comps are a comparison of body type, athletic testing and skillset. If a 6'2 225 QB comes out with a skillset similar to Rodgers and he gets comped to Aaron, it doesn't mean the guy is a surefire, first ballot HOF. He could bust hard, a comp can't predict work ethic, character, the situation the player goes to, coaching, health, etc. Savage absolutely has a similar size, athletic ability and skillset as ET. He could suck in the NFL, doesn't make it a bad prospect comp.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That's not how comps work. Comps are a comparison of body type, athletic testing and skillset. If a 6'2 225 QB comes out with a skillset similar to Rodgers and he gets comped to Aaron, it doesn't mean the guy is a surefire, first ballot HOF. He could bust hard, a comp can't predict work ethic, character, the situation the player goes to, coaching, health, etc. Savage absolutely has a similar size, athletic ability and skillset as ET. He could suck in the NFL, doesn't make it a bad prospect comp.

I thought the most realistic comp was with Lamarcus Joyner, not Earl Thomas. *shrug*

1 minute ago, Joe said:

I thought the most realistic comp was with Lamarcus Joyner, not Earl Thomas. *shrug*

Don't really care, I just care if this kid can be an effective safety in the NFL. If he is, our defense is going to rock this year. 

BTW, not really specifically responding to you as much the argument/discussion over who we can and can't compare this kid to. Seems rather silly to me.

Edited by Golfman
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, SSG said:

I'm sure there has been.  Terrible comps happen every year.  I remember when Teddy Bridgewater got comped with Aaron Rodgers.  Or when HHCD got comped to Eric Berry.  There is undeserved infatuation with players every year. 

I'd love to hear why they see it the comp given the drastic difference in play during college.  IMO height is the only thing comparable.  Not even size given the drastic difference in build.  Thomas was 10-15 lbs bigger and a ball of muscle.  He was substantially stronger than the much more wirey Savage. 

Thomas had just as many INTs his last year at Texas as Savage had in his entire 40 game college career.  Thomas  had games his last year at Texas where he had more passes defended than Savage had over his entire senior year.  Even if the substantial difference in production is ignored, Thomas started every game of his career at Safety.  Savage was used in the slot twice as much as he was any other position. 

A much better comp is Damarius Randall.  Size, athleticism, ball skills, instincts and usage are far more similar than the same for Earl Thomas.  Thomas was an entirely different caliber of college football player IMO.  He dominated his last year at Texas.  While Savage is a good player, he was never the difference maker that Thomas was at Texas that last year. 

Not near as bad as you make it out to be the difference ET had 10picks in 3 years and DS had 8 and didn't start but one game in his freshman year.  ET had a great last year but the year prior he had 2 pics. ET did have more PBUs savage had much less, possibly due to playing allot more around the line of scrimmage. it's what happens when your really good on a bad team. Savage was asked to do to many things. Is he ET, of course not but does have have some similar skills and attributes sure. Scouts have to look at allot more then just the stat sheet. Glad to know you would have passed on JJ Watt though. The stat thing goes both ways.

Here we go. Some real crystal ball stuff.........

The Draft Network : 5 Day 3 Picks Who Could Win Rookie Of The Year

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S, New Orleans Saints
Justice Hill, RB, Baltimore Ravens
Duke Shelley, CB, Chicago Bears
Kevin Harmon, WR, Washington
Benny Snell, RB, Pittsburgh

On 5/1/2019 at 8:58 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

Well, some believed that Gary was going to be the Giants pick at #6, with Bosa and Allen conceivably off the board and Gary as the next Gettleman friendly edge (it was him or Sweat, but Sweat had the medical question).  So I can see the Gary clan being somewhat disappointed he didn't go there and possibly hoping the Giants could get him with their second pick.  All of that is understandable.

But it really doesn't matter if Gary's retinue is unwilling to follow him to Ashwaubenon... in fact, it's likely preferable they stay home in Jersey.

If he fell to 17 he would have missed out on millions.

17 hours ago, SSG said:

The point of that comment was to point out that NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE was comparing Darnell Savage to Earl Thomas at the end of the 2018 football season or at any point in his 4 year career.  

Really? No one?

Do you have communication with all the team scouts before the draft?

On 5/2/2019 at 3:37 PM, SSG said:

For every player you pick to be the next Nick Collins, you strike out 8 or 9 times. Much of the fan base had exactly this same sort of excitement about Josh Jones and we've seen how that's worked out 2 seasons later. 

Anybody else remember McMillian?