2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

16 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Ya got a link for that one?  Don't remember seeing any of that.  What is 'football character'? Is that like football IQ?

Did hear that Gute was a JJones supporter.  Big RAS numbers IIRC.

I'm assuming it meant like desire to play the game and improve etc

• Like 1

In 2009, the Packers drafted Raji at 9, then traded back into the 1st to grab Matthews.
Both became cornerstones to a new defense that helped the Packers to win a Title in 2010

In 2019, the Packers drafted Gary at 12, then traded up in the 1st to grab Savage.

Will the rest of the story repeat ?

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 3:05 PM, Arthur Penske said:

I’m 100% certain these are the dumb GB packer fans who hate draft picks without studying them or watch them play, etc

No, they're the ones who think everyone we draft is a world-beater and then blame Aaron for losses when the defense lays a biscuit on the field...

1 hour ago, Joe said:

No, they're the ones who think everyone we draft is a world-beater and then blame Aaron for losses when the defense lays a biscuit on the field...

No, that is me.  I was at work and couldn't go to Nashville that weekend.  I would also know that, that wasn't the Packers' pick though.  

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

According to article at PackersWire and notes from Tony Pauline -

GB might have some interest in Supplemental Draft player, Safety Jalen Thompson

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/08/packers-showing-heavy-interest-in-supplemental-draft-s-jalen-thompson/

That would be awesome to get him for a 5th-7th supplemental pick.  Then trade Josh Jones for whichever pick it was. 

18 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

According to article at PackersWire and notes from Tony Pauline -

GB might have some interest in Supplemental Draft player, Safety Jalen Thompson

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/08/packers-showing-heavy-interest-in-supplemental-draft-s-jalen-thompson/

I find it hard to believe that we would give up a 3rd or 4'th on a safety when we just invested heavily in a free agent and moved up in the first to take one.

And if he's a slot guy, isn't that where Jaire should be playing?

I get wanting/needing depth, but that doesn't seem like an overly smart move.

Have to admit, though, the measureables on Thompson are very interesting.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I find it hard to believe that we would give up a 3rd or 4'th on a safety when we just invested heavily in a free agent and moved up in the first to take one.

There's never a thing as enough secondary depth, if he's a good player the cost is irrelevant. He'll play regardless of if he's a starter or not, and if he by some miracle doesn't that means we didn't lose any secondary players and I feel real good about our chances then.

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There's never a thing as enough secondary depth, if he's a good player the cost is irrelevant. He'll play regardless of if he's a starter or not, and if he by some miracle doesn't that means we didn't lose any secondary players and I feel real good about our chances then.

I still don't see the club investing a future draft pick on a kid after spending large dollars in free agency on a safety, while moving up in round one to select another safety.

Maybe if he has slot skills.  Still, I'm hoping that if they do choose to invest in the supplemental draft, it won't be before the 4'th round.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

5’10”

186lbs

4.5 40

33.5 vert

3.98 3 cone

That’s not very impressive. 

Six interceptions

5 fumble recoveries

17 passes broken up

190 tackles 

Thats good production from a safety. That has me intrigued.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I don't find it that hard to believe.  As far as play on the field, he's a lot like Savage as a prospect.  An athletic slot/ safety hybrid with quality reps in man.  We've still got question marks in our secondary and it's very likely we'd have been using an early pick again there next year.  King hasn't developed, Jackson looked terrible last year, Williams is 36 and Jones has no coverage ability.  

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I still don't see the club investing a future draft pick on a kid after spending large dollars in free agency on a safety, while moving up in round one to select another safety.

That makes sense, but perhaps you are only considering one side of the Safety equation ?

GB lost HaHa, Brice, Jermaine Whitehead, Eddie Pleasant, Ibraheim Campbell and potentially Josh Jones from the 2018 Safety room
They are also trying to push Tramon out of the Safety room as well. That's 6 -7 players that need to be replaced. I don't think the Packers are done re-making that position and I wouldn't be surprised if they grab a guy at cutdowns or invest in the Supplemental Safety.