2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

Phew! i'm knackered. I'm cautiously optimistic with our draft but I will be honest I felt we leant on defence too much again this year but then again the defence was full of holes and the offence had few starting spots open. Gute made a good attempt at shoring everything up through the draft and free agency ensuring we had depth in all key positions. I liked he has ensured we have speed throughout our DB group. The lack of speed on defence has always been a pet peeve of mine and i'm glad Gute has finally sorted that issue.

I tell you what...if our young WRs fall flat on their faces I guarantee Jordy Nelson will be the first person we will call. I think that potential scenario played in the back of Gute's mind and gave him the comfort to avoid drafting WRs this year. I might be talking out of my arse here but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if that is the case.

The RB class was a bit crap this year. Not many stand out prospects. It was even harder to find a north/south runner with enough speed to fit into our system. Henderson and Anderson were probably the best system fits for me. Finding Dexter Williams was not a bad get but I understand he goes down on contact far too easily which is not good.

Due to the added versaility on our OL group I feel pretty confident now in saying we will keep a maximum 9 OL in our final 53. Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Spriggs, Turner, Madison, Jenkins, Linsley are all locks. I think Siragusa and De Beer might be the ones to round off that group - I got a gut feeling with De Beer based on nothing at all. xD

I think Ertz will be the blueprint for Sternberger. Physically and athletically both are very similar. Even their playing styles are fairly similar too. I hope Sternberger will turn out to be the key cog in our offence. I think Sternberger fits into Rodger's playing style quite nicely.

On defence I have to stress that we need to be patient for all the new parts to gel and come together. We have two new safeties, two new edge rushers, a new DE, a cornerback group in their 2nd year together and Burks still unproven. Lower our expectations for a quick turnaround. It may take a season for the defence to fully get going.

Edited by Chili

Honestly not the biggest fan of this draft, though I like a couple of the players we took (Savage, Jenkins, Keke - especially Keke) 

But I’m not mad about it at all. We know so much less than Gute & co. And to be honest, some of the TT drafts I liked most day of, turned out to be some of his worst. So I’ll bet this one turns out :-p

22 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Honestly not the biggest fan of this draft, though I like a couple of the players we took (Savage, Jenkins, Keke - especially Keke)

Cause it was filled with DL/OL and not WR's/RB's - but - between FA/Offseason moves and this draft - we've completely redone our DL/OL packages.

I wanted three position groups addressed: EDGE, FS & TE. The rest would be gravy for me.

Edited by Leader

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Depth chart going into camp (only projecting guys I think have a shot to make the roster) Look at that EDGE and DB makeover in the 48 months Gute has been GM, damn. Fackrell, Jones and King are the only ones left.

48 months?

Gute has been the GM for not quite 16 months at this point.

But yeah, Gute certainly has already gotten rid of much of the defensive "talent" he inherited.

Just an amazing and much needed transformation.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Cause it was filled with DL/OL and not WR's/RB's - but - between FA/Offseason moves and this draft - we've completely redone our DL/OL packages.

I wanted three position groups addressed: EDGE, FS & TE. The rest would be gravy for me.

THAT positional focus is actually what I like about it. I’m just not a Gary or Sternberger fan at all, so that sours it a bit 

I see Bak - Turner - Linsley - Jenkins - Bulaga as our best starting 5.  Madison, Taylor, Spriggs, and Light/McCray/etc. offer some promising depth.  I really like the Jenkins pick.

Our front 7 is going to be fun as hell to watch.  The Smiths, Gary, and Keke offer a front 4 that could run stunts for days.  I see enough talent across the line not totally dissimilar to Philly two years ago.  I think we can roll the pass rushers in and really get to the QB.

I also love the body types at EDGE that can hold up in the running game.  

I really hope to see Fackrell drop off as an off-ball linebacker more this year with the infusion of talent on the edge.

Next year I'm guessing we'll be looking at tackle, CB, and DT again, but this draft should set the team up for success this year and in the future.

1 minute ago, Isherwood said:

THAT positional focus is actually what I like about it. I’m just not a Gary or Sternberger fan at all, so that sours it a bit 

Understood. I wanted Burns and Fant/Hock - but thats not how the board played out or how the FO wanted to address the EDGE position. Oh well. It's not like I was married to Burns. I just wanted that pass rush position/package finished off - and that I think they've done a good job of addressing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Understood. I wanted Burns and Fant/Hock - but thats not how the board played out or how the FO wanted to address the EDGE position. Oh well. It's not like I was married to Burns. I just wanted that pass rush position/package finished off - and that I think they've done a good job of addressing.

I think that’s fair. Like I said, I’m not mad. I don’t claim to know more than anyone at 1265. I’m hoping for the best!

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly my biggest complaint about this draft is that we beat the Jets and lost Ed Oliver because of it. Other than that, on paper, really like this draft. Don't see a single wasted pick or significant reach like in some prior drafts.

I'm not 100% sold we go Oliver over Gary. But also we still should've lost to the Jets.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I see Bak - Turner - Linsley - Jenkins - Bulaga as our best starting 5.  Madison, Taylor, Spriggs, and Light/McCray/etc. offer some promising depth.
I really like the Jenkins pick

CHTV:

"Jenkins fills a clear need on the Packers roster. With Bryan Bulaga entering the last year of his contract and Jordan McCray coming off a season where he really struggled at the starting right guard spot, Jenkins in addition to recently signed free agent Billy Turner give the Packers a lot of versatility on the offensive line.

Turner's ability to fill in at guard or tackle could mean Jenkins' future is most likely at guard. However, there should be a heated battle in training camp this summer for the starting right guard spot between Turner, McCray, and Jenkins. Despite how things play out this season, the future of the Packers right side of the line could shape up to be an effective Jenkins-Turner combo, which is promising.

Jenkins also gives the Packers an emergency option at center if Corey Linsley goes down with injury. Green Bay continues to bring in versatile linemen with the selection of Jenkins"