Golfman

2019 Draft Thoughts

Summary of the other NFC North drafts for 2019.  

CHI

3.9 David Montgomery RB Iowa State

4.24 Riley Ridley WR Georgia

6.32 Duke Shelley CB Kansas State

7.8 Kerrith Whyte RB Florida Atlantic

7.24 Stephen Denmark CB Valdosta State

DET

1.8 TJ Hockenson TE Iowa

2.11 Jahlani Tavai ILB Hawaii

3.17 Will Harris S Boston College

4.15 Austin Bryant DE Clemson

5.8 Amani Oruwariye CB Penn State

6.11 Travis Fulgham WR Old Dominion

6.13 Ty Johnson RB Maryland

7.10 Isaac Nauta TE Georgia

7.15 PJ Johnson DT Arizona

MIN

1.18 Garrett Bradbury C NC State

2.18 Irv Smith Jr TE Alabama

3.38 Alexander Mattison RB Boise State

4.12 Dru Samia OG Oklahoma

5.24 Cameron Smith ILB USC

6.17 Armon Watts DT Arkansas

6.18 Marcus Epps S Wyoming

6.20 Olisaemeka Udoh OT Elon

7.3 Kris Boyd CB Texas

7.25 Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon

7.33 Olabasi Johnson WR Colorado State

7.36 Austin Cutting LS Air Force

CHI:  Did not have much draft capital.  Looks like they wanted to replace Howard and Callahan with 2 swings each.  Grade C-/D+

DET:  Like Hock the player, not at 1.8.  Harris, Bryant, Oruwariye, Ty Johnson are really nice value for the draft slot.  B-

MIN:  3 OL picks is a smart move.  7 of the 12 picks are 6th round or later, so overall volume to secure depth.  B+ 

2 hours ago, jleisher said:

I think we could have stayed at #30 or traded back and still get a top S.  Oh well, that's just me.  The other picks, PS maybe?

Given the sheer amount of trades made after the Packers traded up for Savage, the fact that Gute said he knew he wasn't going to see Savage fall to 30, AND Demovsky saying the Colts were very interested in Savage.  It's probably fairly reasonable to believe that Savage was their guy, and he wasn't getting to 30.

I'm so happy to be a Packers fan right now, I like exactly 3 picks/value of the other North dwellers and 2 of those are 7th rounders.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Given the sheer amount of trades made after the Packers traded up for Savage, the fact that Gute said he knew he wasn't going to see Savage fall to 30, AND Demovsky saying the Colts were very interested in Savage.  It's probably fairly reasonable to believe that Savage was their guy, and he wasn't getting to 30.

Fair.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

CHI

3.9 David Montgomery RB Iowa State

4.24 Riley Ridley WR Georgia

6.32 Duke Shelley CB Kansas State

7.8 Kerrith Whyte RB Florida Atlantic

7.24 Stephen Denmark CB Valdosta State

Solid draft, albeit unspectacular given the lack of draft capital they had.  David Montgomery is a solid RB2, and should be a nice compliment to Tarik Cohen.  Not sure he's going to ever be an elite RB, or even close.  But I think he could be a solid RB.  Riley Ridley is another safe pick who should at least eventually mature into a #3 WR.  Pretty high floor with these two.  Not sure Duke Shelley does anything for them.  Maybe a potential replacement for Bryce Callahan?  Kerrith Whyte isn't anything more than camp fodder.  I know nothing about Denmark, or Stephen Denmark to make a comment.  Overall, a pretty bland class which is what you'd come to expect when you're missing your FRP and SRP.

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

DET

1.8 TJ Hockenson TE Iowa

2.11 Jahlani Tavai ILB Hawaii

3.17 Will Harris S Boston College

4.15 Austin Bryant DE Clemson

5.8 Amani Oruwariye CB Penn State

6.11 Travis Fulgham WR Old Dominion

6.13 Ty Johnson RB Maryland

7.10 Isaac Nauta TE Georgia

7.15 PJ Johnson DT Arizona

I think this is going to be one of those draft classes where you wonder what could have been.  Hock has a pretty high floor, but he's not Gronk.  I just don't understand the value of drafting a TE that early.  The Lions should have focused on the lines with either Ed Oliver or Jonah Williams here.  The rest of the clasis just meh.  I do like the selections of Amani Oruwariye and Isaac Nauta.  I thoguht Amani had a chance to go Day 2, potentially even early Day 2 if the CBs ended up going off the board soon.  Probably their best pick.  Nauta is a solid depth pick as well.

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

MIN

1.18 Garrett Bradbury C NC State

2.18 Irv Smith Jr TE Alabama

3.38 Alexander Mattison RB Boise State

4.12 Dru Samia OG Oklahoma

5.24 Cameron Smith ILB USC

6.17 Armon Watts DT Arkansas

6.18 Marcus Epps S Wyoming

6.20 Olisaemeka Udoh OT Elon

7.3 Kris Boyd CB Texas

7.25 Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon

7.33 Olabasi Johnson WR Colorado State

7.36 Austin Cutting LS Air Force

I actually liked the Bradbury pick for the Vikings, especially given their OL woes.  But then after that, it was just disappointing.  I"ve definitely soured on Irv Smith the more I watched him.  Seems more like that hybrid H-Back/TE type rather than a real replacement for Kyle Rudolph.  Dru Samia is an okay player, but he's going to be overmatched when he's out of the Oklahoma system and not playing Kyler Murray back there.  Kris Boyd was a solid pick, but overall the rest of the draft was disappointing.  Is Cutting even going to be eligible to play with the new DoD rule from a few years ago?

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Solid draft, albeit unspectacular given the lack of draft capital they had.  David Montgomery is a solid RB2, and should be a nice compliment to Tarik Cohen.  Not sure he's going to ever be an elite RB, or even close.  But I think he could be a solid RB.  Riley Ridley is another safe pick who should at least eventually mature into a #3 WR.  Pretty high floor with these two.  Not sure Duke Shelley does anything for them.  Maybe a potential replacement for Bryce Callahan?  Kerrith Whyte isn't anything more than camp fodder.  I know nothing about Denmark, or Stephen Denmark to make a comment.  Overall, a pretty bland class which is what you'd come to expect when you're missing your FRP and SRP.

I think this is going to be one of those draft classes where you wonder what could have been.  Hock has a pretty high floor, but he's not Gronk.  I just don't understand the value of drafting a TE that early.  The Lions should have focused on the lines with either Ed Oliver or Jonah Williams here.  The rest of the clasis just meh.  I do like the selections of Amani Oruwariye and Isaac Nauta.  I thoguht Amani had a chance to go Day 2, potentially even early Day 2 if the CBs ended up going off the board soon.  Probably their best pick.  Nauta is a solid depth pick as well.

I actually liked the Bradbury pick for the Vikings, especially given their OL woes.  But then after that, it was just disappointing.  I"ve definitely soured on Irv Smith the more I watched him.  Seems more like that hybrid H-Back/TE type rather than a real replacement for Kyle Rudolph.  Dru Samia is an okay player, but he's going to be overmatched when he's out of the Oklahoma system and not playing Kyler Murray back there.  Kris Boyd was a solid pick, but overall the rest of the draft was disappointing.  Is Cutting even going to be eligible to play with the new DoD rule from a few years ago?

I agree with what you have here.  I like the idea of MIN addressing the OL with the 3 picks.  What they become is TBD.  

2 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

weird they have the bears as a better draft then the lions/vikings

Who won the Kick ^^^ Draft Award?

4 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I would assume it's because the Vikings had 12 picks, and probably only picked up 2 starters or premier depth picks.

5 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

If you factor in Mack for Chicago, then it is a really good draft.  

Posted (edited)

Having looked at every NFL team's draft now, Packers did very well. First time I really like all our picks. Keke and Gary are both underrated and very good fits. Hardly better fits or better players with solid floors and very high ceilings. Sternberger is perfect for AR and MLF. Very happy with a third RB. Jenkins shores up our weakest spot. Not much more we could have done to improve both sides of the ball in this draft.

Our rivals did not take advantage of the draft strength at all. Terrible drafts imo. Detroit had some good later picks to save theirs. Chicago!!?? What was that?

This was exactly the draft Gute needed (and the off season). Think the NFL thinks way more highly of GB's draft than the media and draft pundits. I don't think I have had a draft where I like every pick (and I had to really look hard again at 3 of them). Two great drafts by Gute now.

Edited by JaireAlex

Time will tell. I feel good about the class. Really outside of Gary, I felt good about the picks. For 2019 the only thing  we absolutely needed was a S that could play which justifies the trade up. I feel good that we got ol depth, a real development te with our top capital. Dexter has a shot too of getting run in the backfield.

My thought after the 1st 3 picks...

Pack doubled (tripled edge) up on the positions we addressed in free agency. (Edge, Safety, IOL)

That's how bad they were at those positions last year! Sheesh. 

Now are big, athletic, and deep up front on D with some freaks behind them (Jaire, Savage, King).

OL is remade with additions of Turner, Madison, and Jenkins.

This team is finally building team speed and athleticism across the board. They will be fun to watch and if they stay healthy will win a bunch of games. Let's go!

27 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If you factor in Mack for Chicago, then it is a really good draft.  

He will cost approx 4x more than our entire rookie class over the next 5 years too though ha