Texans Sign DeAndre Hopkins to 5 year deal

CWood21

5 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

They also resigned C.J. Fiedorowicz  (3 years, $21.5M; $10M guaranteed), Andre Hall (3 years, $15M), and Jay Prosch (3 years, $5.75 million). Texans breaking the bank yesterday.

The Fidorowitz deal had me scratching my head at first - the overall dollar amount is in between Martellus Bennett and Greg Olson among TEs, and Fido isn't nearly as good. Then I saw the guaranteed money (puts him between Evan Engram and David Njoku) and was relieved.

Andre Hal deal was fair market value for an average S. No qualms there.

Signing a FB to an extension always gives me the "Meh" (unless you're talking about a Mike Alstott/Peyton Hillis "oversized HB" guy, or just a crusher in the vein of Lorenzo Neal or Vonta Leach). Prosch isn't either. This being said, he does block well enough in a lead blocker role, and is a ST contributor, so not the worst signing to have.

Inconspicuously absent is LT Duane Brown. He's holding out, but has two years left on his existing deal. The issue seems to be centered around the guaranteed money he's due - which I think is on him for taking so much guaranteed money up front on his current deal. Nonetheless, he's by far the best OL on the team, so him not being here is bad.

He'll be out there week 1, but I'm pretty certain he's getting stripped of his Team Captain designation and will be paying some of his fines.

Have to figure this pretty much sets the table for what Allen Robinson will want if he's also going to stay in a QB-less wasteland on the Jags for his next contract.  Which is...not ideal, but that seems to be the reality for these things now.

Archived