2019 Fourth Round Pick (#127) - Iman Marshall - CB - USC

drd23

NFL.com Scouting Report

Overview
Physical four-year starter at cornerback who might need to prepare for a move to safety due to a lack of functional long speed and athleticism. Marshall's size and play strength made life challenging on Pac-12 receivers, but he lacks the foot quickness and technique to stay connected to more refined NFL targets. While he could be in consideration for Cover-2 defenses, his ability to cover tight ends and handle run-support duties make him a natural candidate for a transition to safety.
Strengths
  • Four-year starter with plus size and grown-up frame
  • Offers physical, effective challenges throughout press release
  • Finds receivers shoulders with disruptive press punch
  • Turns and sinks into receiver's frame, forcing him into boundary
  • Uses big frame to constrict catch space in tight quarters
  • Plays through catch point for maximum disruption
  • Reads keys and is ready to respond
  • Aggressive tackler with no downhill hesitation
  • Attempts to make an impression as a thumping tackler
  • Has size, toughness and tools to make the move to safety
Weaknesses
  • Below-average athletic ability
  • Hips are clunky and tight in his transitions
  • Lacks clean feet and loose hips for sudden change in direction
  • Gets turned prematurely in mirror technique
  • Quality route runners will gain separation unless he grabs
  • Penalized 16 times over last two seasons
  • Grabby when he starts to panic
  • Might not have recovery speed to stick around as cornerback
  • No interceptions over last two seasons
  • Lacks agility and explosiveness to make consistent challenges on 50-50 balls

5 minutes ago, Danand said:

Lasley was one of the guys denied in Iman's highlights :) 

Iman should've showed something to Adoree Jackson then, cause Lasley ate him up over and over when UCLA played USC. They were high school teammates too.

Interesting that some teams worked out Iman at safety.

Limited athlete with short arms. Ceiling isn't going to be great. Good foundation on him though. Love the way he gets his head around, and challenges through the catch. If you want to play CB for the Ravens that's what you're going to be doing. Fairly young for a 4 year starter, just turned 22. Excited to see how he performs. 

I haven't seen much at all on Marshall, but that clip of a snap lined up against JJAW was pretty bad until it got to the point he played the ball (which he did very well).  I can see why multiple scouting reports mention a possible move to safety because of his hips and relative lack of acceleration

• Like 1

CB: Jimmy Smith / Marlon Humphrey / Brandon Carr / Tavon Young / Anthony Averett / Iman Marshall / Maurice Canady / Justin Bethel / Cyrus Jones / Stanley Jean-Baptiste / Robertson Daniel / Bennett Jackson

S: Earl Thomas / Tony Jefferson / Chuck Clark / Anthony Levine / Deshon Elliot

Oh boy. I count 13 defensive backs who should make the roster... that seems like a lot. Levine might not really be considered here though. Still, the team is overloaded. Will be interesting to see how the final roster shakes out. Letting go of Justin Bethel at final cuts might be an attractive option since the team would recoup their 4th round compensatory pick next season (I think). But then there's getting rid of Cyrus Jones who is the only punt returner on the roster.

I don't dislike the Marshall pick, but not sure where I see him in the secondary. Safety would be my preference if he has the intangibles to make the switch. Hopefully he's a solid depth guy for a few years, that's all the team really needs from him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Still, the team is overloaded.

Classy problem. If Jimmy and Brandon both leave next year, you know this board is going to be pouring over CB prospects. Cause if EDC sniffs talent at the position, we'll make a move for one early in the draft. #NeverAgain

Also, IDK why but I keep having the feeling that a super sleeper trade for Ramsey is hanging out there.

10 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

CB: Jimmy Smith / Marlon Humphrey / Brandon Carr / Tavon Young / Anthony Averett / Iman Marshall / Maurice Canady / Justin Bethel / Cyrus Jones / Stanley Jean-Baptiste / Robertson Daniel / Bennett Jackson

S: Earl Thomas / Tony Jefferson / Chuck Clark / Anthony Levine / Deshon Elliot

Oh boy. I count 13 defensive backs who should make the roster... that seems like a lot. Levine might not really be considered here though. Still, the team is overloaded. Will be interesting to see how the final roster shakes out. Letting go of Justin Bethel at final cuts might be an attractive option since the team would recoup their 4th round compensatory pick next season (I think). But then there's getting rid of Cyrus Jones who is the only punt returner on the roster.

I don't dislike the Marshall pick, but not sure where I see him in the secondary. Safety would be my preference if he has the intangibles to make the switch. Hopefully he's a solid depth guy for a few years, that's all the team really needs from him.

While I agree, injuries will inevitably pop up and we’ll be thankful for the depth. 

30 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

While I agree, injuries will inevitably pop up and we’ll be thankful for the depth. 

Yes... I'm more worried about having to cut quality talent and likely lose them for nothing before it gets to that point though. While I see 13 players that should be on the roster, I don't think the team actually keeps 13. Considering Levine a "LB" and doing something like drd23 mentioned with a sneaky IR stash gets that number to a reasonable 11 though

5 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Yes... I'm more worried about having to cut quality talent and likely lose them for nothing before it gets to that point though. While I see 13 players that should be on the roster, I don't think the team actually keeps 13. Considering Levine a "LB" and doing something like drd23 mentioned with a sneaky IR stash gets that number to a reasonable 11 though

Yep. I just think someone will be nicked up early in camp if history is any guide. Similar to the IR stash, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are quicker to PUP any of the guys in the back half of that’s 13/14. If it really does come to worst case scenario I could see canady being dealt for a late round pick.