Round 5 Pick 148: San Francisco 49ers Select LB Dre Greenlaw, Arkansas

J-ALL-DAY

Yeah, I haven't watched him play. But it just really continues to baffle me how content we are with the secondary. And I thought our secondary was better than their play last year..but this is just amazing. 

Really hoping we can grab Jordan Brown in the sixth..we'll probably just draft a kicker. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yeah, I haven't watched him play. But it just really continues to baffle me how content we are with the secondary. And I thought our secondary was better than their play last year..but this is just amazing. 

Really hoping we can grab Jordan Brown in the sixth..we'll probably just draft a kicker. 

Exactly, I'm stunned.  We traded Dekoda Watson and pick 212 for this guy.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by uk9erfan

1 minute ago, John232 said:

I think it's the same plan as our 2018 plan with the edge rush. We didn't like what was available to us, so we'll punt for a year and fix the problem in 2020. 

• Like 2

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

I think it's the same plan as our 2018 plan with the edge rush. We didn't like what was available to us, so we'll punt for a year and fix the problem in 2020. 

Yup. It feels like they've done this every year with position groups. And it 's bit them in the *** a couple time. They didn't care for QB's and passed up on Mahommes and Watson. Didn't care for Edge players in that class either (Sans Thomas) and missed out on Carl Lawson. Last year, they missed out on Landry and Genard Avery (who I liked a lot too),. 

Their is a huge problem of over confidence in our FO and it's going to continue to bite us in the ***. 

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yup. It feels like they've done this every year with position groups. And it 's bit them in the *** a couple time. They didn't care for QB's and passed up on Mahommes and Watson. Didn't care for Edge players in that class either (Sans Thomas) and missed out on Carl Lawson. Last year, they missed out on Landry and Genard Avery (who I liked a lot too),. 

Their is a huge problem of over confidence in our FO and it's going to continue to bite us in the ***. 

Right, but they still ended up with Garoppolo, Dee Ford, and Nick Bosa, so it's not like the plan hasn't had its positives, too. It's just frustrating for us as we want to win now.

I'm just surprised they haven't added depth in the defensive backfield because of all the injury concerns. I can understand why they might not have been thrilled with anyone in the first two rounds given the other needs and the players they did like. In the 3rd, I feel like that was always a toss-up round. Maybe they do or don't. But now it's just about getting some backups and see what we have. In reality, there's nothing wrong with Ward, Tartt, Sherman, and Verrett as presumptive starters - other than injuries. And we still have two third round picks in Witherspoon and Moore who have shown promise in limited time. And a pass rush is certainly going to help guys not have to guard forever. So all that in mind- I'm not thrilled with getting nobody, but I'm also not as down on the group we have as most. 

To me, we had two mega needs - pass rush and wide receiver weapons this offseason, and we've addressed both. We replaced Foster, we added to the RB depth...

This roster was among the worst I've ever seen in 2017. And 2018 proved that there were still a lot of holes. Same as it was foolish to expect us to have solved everything last offseason, I think the same this offseason. I still think we have talent to compete this year. And I think with one more offseason we can truly contend for a championship.

• Like 4

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

Right, but they still ended up with Garoppolo, Dee Ford, and Nick Bosa, so it's not like the plan hasn't had its positives, too. It's just frustrating for us as we want to win now.

I'm just surprised they haven't added depth in the defensive backfield because of all the injury concerns. I can understand why they might not have been thrilled with anyone in the first two rounds given the other needs and the players they did like. In the 3rd, I feel like that was always a toss-up round. Maybe they do or don't. But now it's just about getting some backups and see what we have. In reality, there's nothing wrong with Ward, Tartt, Sherman, and Verrett as presumptive starters - other than injuries. And we still have two third round picks in Witherspoon and Moore who have shown promise in limited time. And a pass rush is certainly going to help guys not have to guard forever. So all that in mind- I'm not thrilled with getting nobody, but I'm also not as down on the group we have as most. 

To me, we had two mega needs - pass rush and wide receiver weapons this offseason, and we've addressed both. We replaced Foster, we added to the RB depth...

This roster was among the worst I've ever seen in 2017. And 2018 proved that there were still a lot of holes. Same as it was foolish to expect us to have solved everything last offseason, I think the same this offseason. I still think we have talent to compete this year. And I think with one more offseason we can truly contend for a championship.

Incredibly well put. 

10 minutes ago, uk9erfan said:

Exactly, I'm stunned.  We traded Dekoda Watson and pick 212 for this guy.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Well to be fair, Watson was not going to make the the team anyway so anything we got for him is a bonus...

Greenlaw is a potential pick. Another guy they saw for a week@the Senior Bowl. He's a WILL who has the potential to be a replacement for Alexander, who is essentially on a one-year deal. He's built very similarly to Alexander. Sideline to sideline player who'll have to improve taking on blocks. 4 year starter in the SEC is nothing to sneeze at and he has some ability. He'll start out on STs and he'll have to earn his spot. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, uk9erfan said:

Well, we needed a way to get those #97 Nick Bosa jerseys into production now, so if you just pretend we selected Greenlaw at 212, maybe it'll help a little. That's what I'm doing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Well to be fair, Watson was not going to make the the team anyway so anything we got for him is a bonus...

Greenlaw is a potential pick. Another guy they saw for a week@the Senior Bowl. He's a WILL who has the potential to be a replacement for Alexander, who is essentially on a one-year deal. He's built very similarly to Alexander. Sideline to sideline player who'll have to improve taking on blocks. 4 year starter in the SEC is nothing to sneeze at and he has some ability. He'll start out on STs and he'll have to earn his spot. 

Yep 757,  I get what you say, but weren't there better prospects out there, even at his position?  Still, Y2lamanaki put the whole thing in perspective with his comments above.  I just hope our pass rush is soooo good that it negates the problems in our secondary.

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Well, we needed a way to get those #97 Nick Bosa jerseys into production now, so if you just pretend we selected Greenlaw at 212, maybe it'll help a little. That's what I'm doing.

Lol.  Yeah I'll start with denial and it can be the first stage on my route to acceptance of what currently I think is a wasted pick.  I sincerely hope Greenlaw proves me dead wrong. 

10 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

They need to leave Bryant Young's #97 alone. They went a decade with no one wearing it then all of a sudden they gave it to Watson with no explanation given. I dont want Bosa wearing it either. Should have been retired already...

38 minutes ago, John232 said:

There wasn't a corner after the 2nd round as talented as Spoon. I don't think the talent was the problem last year, it was the amount of breakdowns we had. I believe before Spoon got hurt, he allowed like 8 catches on 24 or 25 attempts for a four week stretch. Then Williams/Reed are fine at nickel. Moore didn't look terrible himself and then we added Verrett. Our corners will be fine. To me, it's the lack of urgency to fix the safety position. Didn't make a move for any top safety in free agency and haven't drafted one yet. Even if the team believes in Ward and Tartt, both haven't proven they can stay healthy. I agree with y2 that they just likely address this position next year. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

They need to leave Bryant Young's #97 alone. They went a decade with no one wearing it then all of a sudden they gave it to Watson with no explanation given. I dont want Bosa wearing it either. Should have been retired already...

I agree, but it's clear that's not going to happen, and I'd rather Bosa wearing it than Watson. Now they may retire #97 some day, but it might have to be for two players hopefully. 

• Like 1