Round 5 Pick 148: San Francisco 49ers Select LB Dre Greenlaw, Arkansas

J-ALL-DAY

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There wasn't a corner after the 2nd round as talented as Spoon. I don't think the talent was the problem last year, it was the amount of breakdowns we had. I believe before Spoon got hurt, he allowed like 8 catches on 24 or 25 attempts for a four week stretch. Then Williams/Reed are fine at nickel. Moore didn't look terrible himself and then we added Verrett. Our corners will be fine. To me, it's the lack of urgency to fix the safety position. Didn't make a move for any top safety in free agency and haven't drafted one yet. Even if the team believes in Ward and Tartt, both haven't proven they can stay healthy. I agree with y2 that they just likely address this position next year. 

100% agree. My biggest issue in the secondary is specifically the FS position. I wouldn't hate a corner pick, but I thought most of the corners in this draft were pretty mediocre. But they truly are banking on Exum, Colbert and Ward to hold it down on the back end despite everything saying the contrary. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John232 said:

100% agree. My biggest issue in the secondary is specifically the FS position. I wouldn't hate a corner pick, but I thought most of the corners in this draft were pretty mediocre. But they truly are banking on Exum, Colbert and Ward to hold it down on the back end despite everything saying the contrary. 

You mean Harris, Colbert and Ward...

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Harris isn't a FS. He's an in-box safety behind Tartt. 

Neither is Exum but I'm talking safeties in general. We wont keep 3 FS either way. Its going to be Tartt, Harris, Ward, and Colbert barring injury. Everyone else is a camp body tbh...

Just now, 757-NINER said:

Neither is Exum but I'm talking safeties in general. We wont keep 3 FS either way. Its going to be Tartt, Harris, Ward, and Colbert barring injury. Everyone else is a camp body tbh...

Oh yeah - especially since the team will play Reed back at FS in emergency scenarios. Good point.

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Eh, seems like Exum gained a lot of clout with the coaching staff for his solid play towards the end. But the Reed factor is interesting. 

Exum also seems like the perfect kind of candidate to be cut and signed 50 times throughout the year. 

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

Exum also seems like the perfect kind of candidate to be cut and signed 50 times throughout the year. 

THIS is what Im saying. Remember he was cut last year in TC. He was re-signed after both Colbert and Tartt went down during the season.

Edited by 757-NINER

7 minutes ago, sherm said:

This is the only pick I can't get the meh taste out of my mouth. Even the punter I chalked up to they were gonna take one at some point. I know he went a rd later but really wanted Long instead. 

Greenlaw = Long

I'd actually give Greenlaw the edge as far as in coverage and range. Don't let his 40 time fool you. He plays much faster and instinctive than that on film. I think he tried to bulk up for the Combine and lost his speed. Like i said, he reminds me alot of Alexander. As a WILL goes, much better fit than Long personally because of his coverage skills.

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Greenlaw = Long

I'd actually give Greenlaw the edge as far as in coverage and range. Don't let his 40 time fool you. He plays much faster and instinctive than that on film. I think he tried to bulk up for the Combine and lost his speed. Like i said, he reminds me alot of Alexander. As a WILL goes, much better fit than Long personally because of his coverage skills.

Not aggressive enough for me. Far too often caught behind the play and chasing guys down, gets bullied, etc. I don't think that is going to get any better at the next level. There were certainly guys I liked more on the board at the same position. This is probably my least favorite selection just because I don't think watching him was that impressive. I'm really not sure what Ryans saw. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Greenlaw = Long

Agree to disagree on this one. 

Just now, Pandomonium said:

special teamer that we reached like plastic man for

so basically we don't have a SAM backer

didn't address our suspect safety situation 

Eh, SAM doesn't matter really. Nzechoka, Ford and Pita T will man that on base downs. 

The safety issue and the constant weird picks is concerning. Really souring on Lynch.