Jaguars draft Washington State QB Gardner Minshew at #178

1 hour ago, Jrvegeeta said:

What are you talking about? Why is drafting a pass-catching TE a bad thing when our QB was known for giving his TE the ball for big plays? As for QB, he’s a back-up with potential. As for RB, I’ll admit that I would’ve preferred Myles Gaskin, but Armstread isn’t terrible either. 

I don't think I've seen you here on the boards, but one of my concerns that I've talked about a bit since going after Foles and Flip is that what made them successful appears to be a contrast to Doug's philosophy. 

I'm fine with the Oliver pick. I think both our 3rd rounders were kind of reaches, but I see what they liked on tape for Oliver and how he would fit with this team. The same can be said of Gardner, who is a smart accurate and quick decision maker at QB. 

But now we have built our team with RBs who I don't really think fits running from a gun formation. LF, Blue, Armstead...these are guys who operate better as a runner going downhill with a full steam. 

There's a clash of philosophy, I think, between Marrone's "grind it out, protect the ball at all cost" and Flip's and Foles more aggressive mindsets.

And how this offense has shaped up after FA/Draft reflects that conflict of not being sure who we want to be.

Maybe they successfully tight rope their differences and find that striking balance between being aggressive and also protecting the ball/running the football.

But I've been skeptical of it from the get go, and what we have done in the draft doesnt change that  (Robiskie once again brought up the whole Fournette is our bellcow,  which he said he got from Doug).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Speedyg said:

I don't think I've seen you here on the boards, but one of my concerns that I've talked about a bit since going after Foles and Flip is that what made them successful appears to be a contrast to Doug's philosophy. 

I'm fine with the Oliver pick. I think both our 3rd rounders were kind of reaches, but I see what they liked on tape for Oliver and how he would fit with this team. The same can be said of Gardner, who is a smart accurate and quick decision maker at QB. 

But now we have built our team with RBs who I don't really think fits running from a gun formation. LF, Blue, Armstead...these are guys who operate better as a runner going downhill with a full steam. 

There's a clash of philosophy, I think, between Marrone's "grind it out, protect the ball at all cost" and Flip's and Foles more aggressive mindsets.

And how this offense has shaped up after FA/Draft reflects that conflict of not being sure who we want to be.

Maybe they successfully tight rope their differences and find that striking balance between being aggressive and also protecting the ball/running the football.

But I've been skeptical of it from the get go, and what we have done in the draft doesnt change that  (Robiskie once again brought up the whole Fournette is our bellcow,  which he said he got from Doug).

I see what your saying. That’s why this year will be a major test for Marrone. A successful HC must be willing to evolve his philosophy. Belichek did it - look where that got him. Tom Coughlin himself had to make a few changes to his philosophy in order to win 2 Super Bowls. Doug will either follow in those footsteps...or he will follow in Gus Bradley’s footsteps...right out the stadium door.

Edited by Jrvegeeta

I don't really get it.  It's a million times better than the Tanner Lee pick last year...but kinda feels like we're trying to get a developmental Cody Kessler replacement.  When Kessler himself wasn't really good enough as a backup, when he ended up called upon.

Like, i really like Minshew's potential to be a cheap, long-term clipboard holder backup.  He seems like a smart and accurate QB.  Probably a terrific teammate, great in the room and fun to be around, keep the team loose and all that.  Gonna need that after the dreary dismal feeling around the team last year.  As a fan, i'm certainly looking forward to him being a character.  Entertainment out of a backup QB is a nice bonus.

It just doesn't seem like a pick that's likely to go anywhere.  Like even if Foles works out for us...he's already older.  He's not going to be The Guy for very long.  It's the sort of time where we could be working on trying to coach up someone with more "starter upside" traits behind a Vet starter, even if they're more of a project and far less of a "safe backup" potential.

Oh well.  Improvement from last year's throwaway QB pick on Lee.  And Minshew should be a fun guy to cheer for at the fringes of the roster and stuff.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Think we got a great Bortles replacement personality wise.

This guy is awesome.

Pretty much.  I'm thrilled about the entertainment and likeability value.

Just hope that unlike Bortles...he never has to play for the Jaguars as a starting QB basically.

11 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Pretty much.  I'm thrilled about the entertainment and likeability value.

Just hope that unlike Bortles...he never has to play for the Jaguars as a starting QB basically.

Eh, we'll see on that. Not expecting that out of him as a 6th but we'll see how he develops. His football iq is through the roof and obviously the intangibles... we'll see if the arm strength holds him back from a viable starting QB.

Ideally though, no. Not a starting QB.