With the 191st pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Marcus Epps, S - Wyoming

RpMc

Epps I noticed while watching Andrew Wingard his teammate.  I would rather have his teammate Wingard honestly.  Epps did well at his pro day 22 reps at 225 bench, similar 40 to Wingard and a little better vertical.  

To Wingard is the better player but Epps does have some center field ability but Wingard can play around the line of scrimmage more and obviously is a proven tackler and is tough, 454 tackles in his career, 12th all time in the history of college football.  Epps has some potential though but honestly probably would have been around round 7 if they wanted him there.  Still at least they got a safety which is a need.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Epps I noticed while watching Andrew Wingard his teammate.  I would rather have his teammate Wingard honestly.  Epps did well at his pro day 22 reps at 225 bench, similar 40 to Wingard and a little better vertical.  

To Wingard is the better player but Epps does have some center field ability but Wingard can play around the line of scrimmage more and obviously is a proven tackler and is tough, 454 tackles in his career, 12th all time in the history of college football.  Epps has some potential though but honestly probably would have been around round 7 if they wanted him there.  Still at least they got a safety which is a need.  

I think Wingard is very similar to Sendejo. Epps has a more well-rounded game.

Epps, a four-year starter at safety, was clocked at 4.52 seconds and 4.54 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Epps, who shook off cramps in between attempts, said one scout in attendance clocked him at 4.46.

They’re all average or above-average times for a safety, though Epps put far more than his speed on display. He recorded a 38.5-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 10 feet, 4 inches while also turning in times of 4.06 in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.79 in the three-cone drill.

Epps also flashed athleticism and fluidity in his position drills, stretching out to make an acrobatic over-the-shoulder catch during one of them. Epps played three different positions in the secondary (free safety, strong safety, nickel) during his time with the Cowboys and is hopeful his versatility combined with his numbers attracts more NFL attention.

“I feel like I proved I can run, and I have all the athletic ability that maybe most people thought I didn’t have,” Epps said. “I thought I proved I’m very fluid in my position drills and I can play any position back there.”

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/football/marcus-epps-nico-evans-make-most-of-opportunity-at-wyoming/article_6e979b79-dc2e-5453-8280-133ef6d62e6e.html

• Like 1

The understanding the two have between each other was enhanced when before the 2017 season they actually flipped safety positions, with Epps moving from strong safety to free safety and Wingard becoming the strong safety.

“It was funny. As a freshman, the free safety in our defense didn’t move a lot. Marcus was the one who was always in the box, and that was the more complicated position,” said Wingard. “In 2016, we played cover four, and we both kind of played a mixture of the strong and free positions. Last year, I was the strong all the time. It was a position change that fit both of us. Marcus is a real good ‘man cover guy’, and I can fit in the box. It was fun, and we were both able to make a lot of plays from those two positions.”

https://www.sweetwaternow.com/wyoming-fans-have-one-last-season-to-appreciate-marcus-epps-and-andrew-wingard/

Edited by Klomp

13 minutes ago, Klomp said:

I think Wingard is very similar to Sendejo. Epps has a more well-rounded game.

Sendejo to me was mostly a hit man and a tough guy, was not great playing the football and not amazing in coverage.  To me Epps is a center field guy and if one is talking pure coverage he is a little better than Wingard, if one is talking an all around player who can do a variety of things I would say Wingard is better with a higher upside.

Still as a center field type Epps is ok, but again I think he could have been there in round 7.  At least filled a need for sure and that pro day workout was impressive and helped him greatly.