Rd 6 Pick 205 - CB Duke Shelley, KSU

HuskieBear

I love this guy.  My favorite pick of Bears relative to draft slot.  

I've only watched him, Montgomery and Ridley so far. 

This guy has speed, hands and lateral quickness for days. He is a willing tackler too inspite of being a buck 70.  Slight frame and short arms must have been reason he fell.  They played him outside, but in NFL he will be slot corner.  

Great, great find by Pace.  Love it.  Did I mention I love it.  

This kid can play and make plays.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This guy has speed, hands and lateral quickness for days. He is a willing tackler too inspite of being a buck 70.  Slight frame and short arms must have been reason he fell.  They played him outside, but in NFL he will be slot corner.  

Like this pick quite a bit. Skill set and play style seem like a good fit for us in the slot, and the ball skills are legit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

What do we think our CB depth is gonna look like?

Fuller

Prince

Tolliver

Skrine

McMannis

Shelley

Denmark (SS?)

Assuming nobody gets hurt you’re talking about keeping 11 DBs (these guys + EJ, HHCD, DB and DHB). I can’t see them getting down to 53 with more than 10. At first glance I’d think that last spot may come down to DHB vs. Denmark. DHB is a rock solid ST player already and those guys at the bottom of the roster are worth their weight in gold. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Assuming nobody gets hurt you’re talking about keeping 11 DBs (these guys + EJ, HHCD, DB and DHB). I can’t see them getting down to 53 with more than 10. At first glance I’d think that last spot may come down to DHB vs. Denmark. DHB is a rock solid ST player already and those guys at the bottom of the roster are worth their weight in gold. 

I think it depends on where else we have guys. maybe we only have 3 TEs on the roster instead of the 4 we had last year, and we have 5-6 active WRs on gameday instead of the 4-5 we normally had. If you have WRs that don't necessarily play ST, like Ridley/Miller/ARob/Gabriel,  you're gonna need your DBs to do that job

The more I watch this guy the more I like him...very aggressive and physical in coverage dispite his size and being clearly undersized for playing outside but by moving him into the slot they protect him and yet him use his instincts and athletic ability to be a playmaker...Nagy said Buster Skrine was one of the best NBs in football and Pace clearly agreed...ask me for a player comparison for Shelley and it would probably be Skrine.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

This is what I'm seeing is his video as well.  Kind of a Bryce Callahan lite but IMHO he plays much like Callahan.

I can see why teams can be shy about drafting guys Shelley's size and like Cheevers as well but damn you watch this kid play and you can see he knows what he's doing and he's pretty fearless.  He was up against some bigger WRs and he doesn't back off or back down and he can offer some run support.  We may be able to beef him up a little but even at 170-175lbs the kid looks to me like he can play.

IMHO he should have graded out higher than he did.

2 minutes ago, soulman said:

This is what I'm seeing is his video as well.  Kind of a Bryce Callahan lite but IMHO he plays much like Callahan.

I can see why teams can be shy about drafting guys Shelley's size and like Cheevers as well but damn you watch this kid play and you can see he knows what he's doing and he's pretty fearless.  He was up against some bigger WRs and he doesn't back off or back down and he can offer some run support.  We may be able to beef him up a little but even at 170-175lbs the kid looks to me like he can play.

IMHO he should have graded out higher than he did.

Callahan lists at 5-9 188lb. This kid is 5-9 173lb. I’m betting with an NFL diet and training regiment by this time next year he’s at more like 180. That’s big enough for a small corner IMO. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Callahan lists at 5-9 188lb. This kid is 5-9 173lb. I’m betting with an NFL diet and training regiment by this time next year he’s at more like 180. That’s big enough for a small corner IMO. 

That's my thought but Shelley looks like he has a very small wiry frame so his build is different than Callahan's.  And I don't believe Callahan has always played that heavy but I could be wrong.

IMHO for his size this kid is a tough little stud cover corner.  Could be a very good Slot CB.