RG

Millenhater

Oday Aboushi started 8 games for the Seahawks while Darrell Bevell was there and had a career year last year for the Cardinals playing RG. Kenny Wiggins played a lot last year and wasn't a disaster (he wasn't good, but he didn't repeatedly get beat). Tyrell Crosby was only drafted in the 5th, but they had him graded higher than that and got him that late because teams had concerns about concussions. Unless a better player gets cut or becomes available via trade, they'll just hold a competition between those three and your starting RG is whoever looks best in Bevells offense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Oday Aboushi started 8 games for the Seahawks while Darrell Bevell was there and had a career year last year for the Cardinals playing RG. Kenny Wiggins played a lot last year and wasn't a disaster (he wasn't good, but he didn't repeatedly get beat). Tyrell Crosby was only drafted in the 5th, but they had him graded higher than that and got him that late because teams had concerns about concussions. Unless a better player gets cut or becomes available via trade, they'll just hold a competition between those three and your starting RG is whoever looks best in Bevells offense.

This is what Im afraid of.

I dont know who we could go get exactly, but Id like to seek a trade. 

Weve certainly poured resources into the oline the last few years, but it hastn come to fruition. 

The oline is just something I dont want to leave to chance.

Other teams constantly make similar moves on the OL. They may have solid players at two or three positions but then they have one guy, and right guard is a pretty common one, where they fill in with a late round pick or a journeyman or a converted tackle, and they get by just fine.

There's something beyond personnel and straight talent that plagues the Lions line. Could be coaching, could be morale, could be play calling or overall philosophy. It would have been fine to get another talented rookie to play RG, but my suspicion is that wouldn't have solved the real problem, and if that problem was to get solved, then Aboushi or Crosby or Wiggins or Dahl would be an acceptable solution.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

He was rated as a 4th or 5th rounder before the draft.  He may be a pure G but he has more upside than any potential RG on our roster

Yeah I read some where he was the top rated run blocker in college last year I would have to find it again. 

2 hours ago, Lionized said:

Beau Benzschawel just signed with us. Definitely another option to add. 

Here is a link:

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2019/4/28/18512440/nfl-draft-2019-detroit-lions-beau-benzschawel-wisconsin-football

Check out the background on him:

According to Wisconsin, Benzschawel started 49 consecutive career games at UW with the final 43 as an anchor at the right guard spot. During the past two seasons, he claimed consensus first-team All-Big Ten honors, along with adding quite a few All-America nods to his resumé as well.

After the 2017 season, Sports Illustrated listed Benzschawel as a first-team All-America. He followed up that performance with consensus first-team All-America accolades in 2018, as seven publications gave him that distinction.

I thin this is a great UDFA signing.  He may need to get stronger but he could very well end up being a solid starter sooner rather than later.

5 minutes ago, Lionized said:

Yeah I read some where he was the top rated run blocker in college last year I would have to find it again. 

Here is the link:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2019/4/28/18521678/detroit-lions-beau-benzschawel-wisconsin-badgers

and the quote:

Benzschawel should fit in well with the Lions offense — which projects to be run heavy under new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell — as he was named by Pro Football Focus to be the best run blocker in college football last season

11 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Here is the link:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2019/4/28/18521678/detroit-lions-beau-benzschawel-wisconsin-badgers

and the quote:

Benzschawel should fit in well with the Lions offense — which projects to be run heavy under new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell — as he was named by Pro Football Focus to be the best run blocker in college football last season

That’s the one