2019 6.33 (206) Washington Redskins select WR Kelvin Harmon, NC State

PARROTHEAD

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Redskins Twitter has inducted him into the Hall of Fame already and barely mentions McLaurin. Interesting takes that Redskins Twitter has sometimes.

I think Harmon is going to show out. I like McLaurin but Harmon was one of my top pass catchers over all in this class. He’s the one catching the go video Haskins threw in camp. I love the pick let’s just hope where we had him ranked someone just over thought because his speed isn’t a huge concern for me. Not when on tape he does run away from guys and he has initial burst

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Redskins Twitter has inducted him into the Hall of Fame already and barely mentions McLaurin. Interesting takes that Redskins Twitter has sometimes.

Harmon was a much more complete collegiate receiver. I think there was a lot of shock when he fell so fans are really excited about him. But yeah, Redskins fans love to prop up late round receivers. 

On 5/12/2019 at 12:40 PM, ripsean21 said:

I think Harmon is going to show out. I like McLaurin but Harmon was one of my top pass catchers over all in this class. He’s the one catching the go video Haskins threw in camp. I love the pick let’s just hope where we had him ranked someone just over thought because his speed isn’t a huge concern for me. Not when on tape he does run away from guys and he has initial burst

I don’t see it. Harmon may have been one of the top WRs Haskins threw too, but McLaurin was the top, the separation that McLaurin gets off the line and with his speed is evident over Harmon. I think Harmon is going to be/develop into a solid possession WR, but McLaurin has the potential to be much more than that.

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t see it. Harmon may have been one of the top WRs Haskins threw too, but McLaurin was the top, the separation that McLaurin gets off the line and with his speed is evident over Harmon. I think Harmon is going to be/develop into a solid possession WR, but McLaurin has the potential to be much more than that.

... Harmon played for NC State so Haskins never threw to him until a couple of days ago at rookie mini camp? Are you thinking of Parris Campbell?

14 minutes ago, Brian23 said:

Harmon just doesn't have the athleticism to be a number one or a great receiver in my opinion. I'm not sure why he's getting the hype short of the fact he's a tall WR and those are always fun to dream about.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/kelvin-harmon

From what I can glean - I agree . Hope he fools us all of us . Thankfully we didn't reach and use a 3rd round pick on him thinking he shoulda been drafted in the 2nd !

1 hour ago, Brian23 said:

Harmon just doesn't have the athleticism to be a number one or a great receiver in my opinion. I'm not sure why he's getting the hype short of the fact he's a tall WR and those are always fun to dream about.

What's interesting is when you compare him to McLaurin:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/terry-mclaurin

Almost the opposite focus.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Woz said:

... Harmon played for NC State so Haskins never threw to him until a couple of days ago at rookie mini camp? Are you thinking of Parris Campbell?

I was talking about at the rookie minicamp RIPSean eluded to the one or two videos that were going around Twitter of Haskins throwing it to Harmon for a TD. It was one play and the corner he was going against was burned badly and Haskins actually underthrew it a bit.

Now, if you search for videos of McLaurin from Haskins at the rookie minicamp you'll find more of them and I think the separation that McLaurin gets off the line along with his route running and speed is more impressive in those videos.

10 hours ago, Brian23 said:

It's definitely somewhat and his size, but also his production from college. I think Harmon is a possession WR in the NFL, his ceiling is a #2. I'm not sure what McLaurin’s ceiling is, I think it's probably a #2 also. I don't think he's #1 material, but he may be. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

It's definitely somewhat and his size, but also his production from college. I think Harmon is a possession WR in the NFL, his ceiling is a #2. I'm not sure what McLaurin’s ceiling is, I think it's probably a #2 also. I don't think he's #1 material, but he may be. 

TBH I would take two #2 guys at this point. I can’t recall us ever having a true number 1 guy since monk. Garçon and Jackson were essentially two #2s and it worked out great

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

TBH I would take two #2 guys at this point. I can’t recall us ever having a true number 1 guy since monk. Garçon and Jackson were essentially two #2s and it worked out great

This is true, and while the qbs of this franchise get blamed a lot over the last 27 years for never being great, a problem that has loomed just as large is that we haven't had a #1 WR to throw to since Monk.

That's why way back a decade ago when it was rumored we were going to trade a first for Chad Johnson, I was down with it bc Ocho and Tana w/ ARE in the slot and Cooley at TE would have been one hell of a combination for Campbell to throw to.

I'd personally not put a lot of value in either of them. There's a reason McLaurin didn't do a lot in college and I think Harmon got by by virtue of just being bigger then anyone else. I was pretty sad we didn't grab Campbell.

At the very least I can see the dog in McLaurin that Pierre had but while Pierre didn't top 1k yards in a single year at mount union, he was TD machine. A college WR only topping 700 in a season, even with 11 touchdowns, doesn't scream impactful NFL player to me.

8 hours ago, Brian23 said:

I'd personally not put a lot of value in either of them. There's a reason McLaurin didn't do a lot in college and I think Harmon got by by virtue of just being bigger then anyone else. I was pretty sad we didn't grab Campbell.

At the very least I can see the dog in McLaurin that Pierre had but while Pierre didn't top 1k yards in a single year at mount union, he was TD machine. A college WR only topping 700 in a season, even with 11 touchdowns, doesn't scream impactful NFL player to me.

Different scenarios for the two. Garcon played at Mt Union which passes the ball and runs a pro style offense - if my recollection serves me right - and McLaurin for all but one of his seasons at Ohio State he played with JT Barrett who was a zone read QB and they played in a zone read offense. There's no way any of the WRs were going to put up eye-popping stats when their QB was a run first QB.

Just look at Michael Thomas’ stats at OSU playing mostly with JT Barrett as his QB:

2014: 54 recs, 799 yds, 9 tds

2015: 58 recs, 781 yds, 9 tds 

Not saying that McLaurin is going to blow up when he gets to the pros like Thomas - IMO they're different types of WRs - but I definitely think that McLaurin can have 50 recs or so w/ less TDs in the pros eventually. 

McLaurin had nearly the same amount of yards and 2 more TDs than Thomas their last years in college but McLaurin did it on 20 less receptions bc he wasn't a possession guy, he was a deep threat who averaged 20 ypc where Thomas averaged on 14 & 15 ypc in his sophomore and junior years.

I mean people are hyping up Trey Quinn to easily replace Crowder yet, a guy like McLaurin who runs a 40-yard-dash that is .2 faster and bc of that 4.35 speed got 11 tds vs Big10 defenses is not supposed to be be an impactful player? 

Yeah, that take doesn't make much sense to me.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1