so what would you grade the draft? (Poll added above OP!)

3rivers

Grade The 2019 Draft  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What Grade Would You Pick

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F.... IRE TOMLIN AND COLBERT NOW

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2020 at 05:00 AM

They addressed areas of need really good in this draft, got some players people here liked (for a change B| ) . So what would give them for the grade and what are you looking forward to for the 2019 season from this group?

I will give it A- .  

• Like 1

I'm giving it a C.  ONE defensive back in the entire draft?  ONE WR that I had to say "who the heck is this guy" when they drafted him.  He's small and slow.  A TE that runs a 4.9?  A RB that is slower than molasses?  

Maybe those guys will turn out to be good, but I'm just indifferent towards it for the most part.  Hopefully they're better than they appear without being too familiar with a lot of them.  

The only reason I'm giving it a C is because Bush should help the coverage across the middle a lot and Layne might be ok.

• Like 1

A.

I would have done some things differently but then, there is a reason Im not an NFL GM. I feel we addressed relevant needs with good value and quality potential.

Cant go wrong with any form of an A or B rating here but the Round 1 aggression pushes it to an A for me. I am officially ecstatic and changing my original opening schedule prediction from 2-5 to 5-2 with a win in Week 1 over New England!

• Like 2

For now, I have to go with B-. They obviously wanted Bush and they made the push to get him. Unfortunately, I think, they sat on their hands and watched a lot of talent go off the board in the 2nd. I'm not a fan of Johnson at WR, but I think Layne was a very good pick. 

I think the 4th and 5th rounds offered solid opportunities to move up, and I think they should have taken Moreau.  Time will tell how those guys work out.

After that, I think they got a couple guys that will be good on STs, and maybe they can develop into role players. 

Not super excited about this draft overall, but if Bush develops into the player the Steelers hope he is, then it could turn out pretty good.

Edited by cjfollett
typos
  • Like 4

B

I think(hope) bush turns into a key player for us for years and some of these other picks become nice depth pieces(Johnson becoming a productive number 2 WR, Layne a stable option in DB group, sutton a leader on special teams etc..)

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

A.

I would have done some things differently but then, there is a reason Im not an NFL GM. I feel we addressed relevant needs with good value and quality potential.

Cant go wrong with any form of an A or B rating here but the Round 1 aggression pushes it to an A for me. I am officially ecstatic and changing my original opening schedule prediction from 2-5 to 5-2 with a win in Week 1 over New England!

would you have let dupree walk and signed Justin Houston? To me that would have really made the D legit on all levels . Right now the pass rush is still a concern but the blitzing speed is better and the CB's are much better

It's a very interesting one, for sure.

I'm a little surprised by the similarities of the LBs we chose.
Other than pedigree, I'm not sure where they'll all play (except Bush).
Maybe I don't understand the scheme variations enough, but 
Sutton seems like an inside backer in the pros. So does Gilbert.
I mean they'll both be really good special teams players, and Butler
even said Sutton will help ST more than he will the D, initially,
but I'm surprised we didn't grab any size at OLB.

I also really thought we'd land a FS. I was surprised they passed
on D.Thompson a few times. So that still seems a weakness, to me.

On a positive note, Diontae may well be why there's professional scouts.
The more you watch and read what Drake loves about him, the more you 
you like him. I have a feeling he'll either be special or a bust. 

I love Bush. I really like Layne. I also think Buggs can be a man, if someone
can light the fire underneath him, so our DL coach (recruited him) should
be able to if anyone can. 

I don't mind Snell, but I thought we were looking for something to diversify
our backfield. That he doesn't do. I know he's tough though. Really tough.

Really don't like Gentry. He's a less athletic James. 

Gray could be interesting, but in all honesty, the two UDFA guards may 
be more so; Brumfield is a real athlete.

Overall, I have to trust the FO, but I was a bit puzzled by some of the choices.

B+ (Could easily be an A, if even just Bush and Johnson turn out).

I only knew much about two of the players...Bush and Layne.  Liked both, but not a big fan of the trade up for Bush....but not disgusted.

I find it funny people are bashing Dionte Johnson as a slow smurf, when he is basically an AB clone.  Doesnt mean he will be anything close to AB, and I'm not happy if they reached on him just to stick it to Mr Big Chest, but he is a better PLAYER than DK Metcalfe who numerous Steeler fans wanted in the 2nd.  I'll take the better player over the better athlete....usually.

However, it really seems like an odd draft....they drafted alot of mediocre athletes, especially on day 3, which is where I usually prefer to draft better athletes since most of those players need alot of coaching up to even make the roster, regardless of athleticism.

I dont have much faith left on this team until the current regime is ousted, but the draft was okay, and a pretty typical Steelers draft, outside of the trade up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I only knew much about two of the players...Bush and Layne.  Liked both, but not a big fan of the trade up for Bush....but not disgusted.

I find it funny people are bashing Dionte Johnson as a slow smurf, when he is basically an AB clone.  Doesnt mean he will be anything close to AB, and I'm not happy if they reached on him just to stick it to Mr Big Chest, but he is a better PLAYER than DK Metcalfe who numerous Steeler fans wanted in the 2nd.  I'll take the better player over the better athlete....usually.

However, it really seems like an odd draft....they drafted alot of mediocre athletes, especially on day 3, which is where I usually prefer to draft better athletes since most of those players need alot of coaching up to even make the roster, regardless of athleticism.

I dont have much faith left on this team until the current regime is ousted, but the draft was okay, and a pretty typical Steelers draft, outside of the trade up.

I was the same way but at least they made some improvements this offseason on the D. Nelson, Layne, Bush and Baron should make the D much better. I wanted dupree gone and for them to sign Justin Houston instead. If they did that, I would be more optimistic and ready for the 2019 season as that would have been 5 improved starters on D . Compare Houston's stats to dupree at seasons end and for example, I doubt it will be close if GP is similar because when Houston is healthy he is elite . Problem for me is that I know they won't get the players out there until midseason and there will be a sorting out process to figure out what to do.  Colbert wasted $  last year on ILB only to invest heavily this year to replace what he did last year at ILB :P Yeah, that is quite a  flaw that costs the team draft picks and cap space.  Baron and Bush inside should quite a duo for coverage and physicality which is what this team needs.  Bush should be much better than RD1 picks like Hood, Jarvis, dupree and burns. 

If the drama and finger pointing continues, I will end up the pessimist again especially if ben doesn't show up until october despite getting a new deal . The D should be improved, so now ben needs to step up. He lost the best WR, can he still put up the points without the attention AB draws? And of course Boswell needs to  get back to where he was 2 years ago, can't forget that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cjfollett said:

For now, I have to go with B-. They obviously wanted Bush and they made the push to get him. Unfortunately, I think, they sat on their hands and watched a lot of talent go off the board in the 2nd. I'm not a fan of Johnson at WR, but I think Layne was a very good pick. 

I think the 4th and 5th rounds offered solid opportunities to move up, and I think they should have taken Moreau.  Time will tell how those guys work out.

After that, I think they got a couple guys that will be good on STs, and maybe they can develop into role players. 

Not super excited about this draft overall, but if Bush develops into the player the Steelers hope he is, then it could turn out pretty good.

Thanks for typing up my grade/overall draft evaluation for me.

I liked the guys we got, but as you mentioned, they left some talent on the board by no moving up into 2nd or 4th... I am not naive to the fact these are 'either/or' proposals...we didn't have the draft capital to make both happen.

Basically, I would have been happier with just 8 players (subtract either of the small LBs, while upgrading Gentry).

I just don't think that they manipulated their draft capital as well as they could have.

• Like 1