so what would you grade the draft? (Poll added above OP!)

3rivers

Grade The 2019 Draft  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What Grade Would You Pick

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F.... IRE TOMLIN AND COLBERT NOW

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2020 at 05:00 AM

3 hours ago, KJtheWicked said:

I’ll go A-

I wish we could push everything from 66 on back a spot and take Winovich there. They didn’t take an EDGE at all and that surprises me. They are really thin there now. 

Sutton Smith could be the Edge draft pick.  Watt Dupree Adeyini Chickillo Adams and Smith. It's not what everyone wanted but it's what they decided on , for now anyways. 

I'm blown away. Sat here and told myself you're gonna have to acquire more talent than you ever have (Colbert as GM) to even have a shot at steadying the ship. 

And it was personal. And I love that. Because that tells me family is no laughing matter with these guys. Diontae Johnson at #66 - the AB pick. **** you. The next great MAC WR. Whether that was pure hate or out-of-the-box thinking, that was earlier than I ever took him. #83. And I took him every time. Le'Veon Bell.  I can replace you like that. **** you and your 2chainz. You turned down $70m and I just carbon copied your dumb *** in the 4th rd. 

Justin Layne. Tend to take the road I haven't traveled before. WR turned DB. Gotta hit sometime. Big, tall, athletic. Then the other day I saw it again. Just another lost DB that doesn't look, has no awareness. He cheats a lot and gets away with it. What we need is Rod. We need Rod Woodson to teach these guys technique. Still the best prospect we have at the position, bc he can play the ball in the air. Plus the tools you desire

Devin Bush had him on my list before the year. Didn't like the trade up in terms of value but now it's cool bc you don't want to spread your jam too thin. He's their next level playmaking guy they covet. Troy. Shazier

Zach Gentry is a Steelers TE. Tall fall forward for a few extra yards type. He'll be on the team. Sneaky athletic. Makes guys miss. Like an Eifert type. 

Sutton Smith is my favorite player in the draft. I like #42 here. #42 is Heart. Will. Determination. His 6.75 is his "playing speed" and that's why he can also do box safety type things. Blitz off the ball. Outstanding timing and football IQ is off the charts. "If he's got the quads and *** and can shuffle he can play ILB". He's more of a vertical penetrator for me. Around the edge. Roaming and attacking. I see two honey bees in Bush and Sutton Smith buzzing around ****ing **** up. Terrell Edmunds, Mark Barron, and Mike Hilton complement this all very well in sub-package. This is by no means a "that's cute" ST pick. He was born to play football. Well, he made that call by putting 233 on a 6' frame. So, he loves the game. Therefore, I love him. 

Buggs. Why don't we just get a big SEC DL? I like this pick. 

Ulysses Gilbert. Another instinctive. Athletic. SMART. Football player. Like Sutton Smith. This is more of my special team captain type

Derwin Gray. Massive oxen type. Can we teach him some pilates. Or Yoga. Stretching. Kickboxing. Something. All flexibility is is effort. And his hips and core are too tight and that's why he can't bend. Bodies are different but don't tell me if you don't work on it the body won't change and loose muscles are much stronger than tight ones  

Grade: B

(I love every pick. Contract extension)

• Like 2

How about PP for three conditional 2nd rd picks?

1) we will dominate our individual matchups

2) we will play with passion and energy

3) we play at one speed. one speed. That's fire

(3 year extension with $63m new money)

19 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I'm giving it a C.  ONE defensive back in the entire draft?  ONE WR that I had to say "who the heck is this guy" when they drafted him.  He's small and slow.  A TE that runs a 4.9?  A RB that is slower than molasses?  

Maybe those guys will turn out to be good, but I'm just indifferent towards it for the most part.  Hopefully they're better than they appear without being too familiar with a lot of them.  

The only reason I'm giving it a C is because Bush should help the coverage across the middle a lot and Layne might be ok.

It's okay. You don't know

It's funny, because I watched the video the talked about the best draft this year and one of the talking heads picked New England because...his main reason? They didn't pick any small school players. They only chose big conference players.

So I guess that means our draft really really stinks... I mean...the best WR ever played played for Alabama, right? 'Sweetness' played for LSU, and quite possibly, the best DB if all time...Mel Blount played for Georgia, I think.

...do people really think before they speak ??? What an idiot. It's not even that I don't think that they had a great draft...they did...but don't tell us it was because they picked all big school players... that's idiotic...

... sorry, rant over...😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Money said:

I'm blown away. Sat here and told myself you're gonna have to acquire more talent than you ever have (Colbert as GM) to even have a shot at steadying the ship. 

And it was personal. And I love that. Because that tells me family is no laughing matter with these guys. Diontae Johnson at #66 - the AB pick. **** you. The next great MAC WR. Whether that was pure hate or out-of-the-box thinking, that was earlier than I ever took him. #83. And I took him every time. Le'Veon Bell.  I can replace you like that. **** you and your 2chainz. You turned down $70m and I just carbon copied your dumb *** in the 4th rd. 

Justin Layne. Tend to take the road I haven't traveled before. WR turned DB. Gotta hit sometime. Big, tall, athletic. Then the other day I saw it again. Just another lost DB that doesn't look, has no awareness. He cheats a lot and gets away with it. What we need is Rod. We need Rod Woodson to teach these guys technique. Still the best prospect we have at the position, bc he can play the ball in the air. Plus the tools you desire

Devin Bush had him on my list before the year. Didn't like the trade up in terms of value but now it's cool bc you don't want to spread your jam too thin. He's their next level playmaking guy they covet. Troy. Shazier

Zach Gentry is a Steelers TE. Tall fall forward for a few extra yards type. He'll be on the team. Sneaky athletic. Makes guys miss. Like an Eifert type. 

Sutton Smith is my favorite player in the draft. I like #42 here. #42 is Heart. Will. Determination. His 6.75 is his "playing speed" and that's why he can also do box safety type things. Blitz off the ball. Outstanding timing and football IQ is off the charts. "If he's got the quads and *** and can shuffle he can play ILB". He's more of a vertical penetrator for me. Around the edge. Roaming and attacking. I see two honey bees in Bush and Sutton Smith buzzing around ****ing **** up. Terrell Edmunds, Mark Barron, and Mike Hilton complement this all very well in sub-package. This is by no means a "that's cute" ST pick. He was born to play football. Well, he made that call by putting 233 on a 6' frame. So, he loves the game. Therefore, I love him. 

Buggs. Why don't we just get a big SEC DL? I like this pick. 

Ulysses Gilbert. Another instinctive. Athletic. SMART. Football player. Like Sutton Smith. This is more of my special team captain type

Derwin Gray. Massive oxen type. Can we teach him some pilates. Or Yoga. Stretching. Kickboxing. Something. All flexibility is is effort. And his hips and core are too tight and that's why he can't bend. Bodies are different but don't tell me if you don't work on it the body won't change and loose muscles are much stronger than tight ones  

Grade: B

(I love every pick. Contract extension)

@Money

This is a warning for your language. You are well aware of the fact that you can't be saying any of those words; but you felt the need to use **** to get your point across.

If you know it's unacceptable, why would you continually attempt to say it?

Don't do it again.

22 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I'm giving it a C.  ONE defensive back in the entire draft?  ONE WR that I had to say "who the heck is this guy" when they drafted him.  He's small and slow.  A TE that runs a 4.9?  A RB that is slower than molasses?  

Maybe those guys will turn out to be good, but I'm just indifferent towards it for the most part.  Hopefully they're better than they appear without being too familiar with a lot of them.  

The only reason I'm giving it a C is because Bush should help the coverage across the middle a lot and Layne might be ok.

His measurables are almost identical to AB, but he's quicker... :ph34r:

28 minutes ago, steelcurtain29 said:

And, he was actually on the radars of a lot of other GMs... likely, thanks to the explosion of AB...a 6th rounder who has been a more productive WR than the following season's draft's 6th overall pick.

The funny thing, is that, there is a better chance that AB starts trending more towards mediocrity, while our 3rd pick this year will likely outproduce AB in 2020 ( contingent upon he and Ben remaining healthy that season...)

When will the rest of world recognize, that which, I am hoping, many Steelers' fan already recognize... that the success of Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, AB, and most recently, Juju, is in large part due to Ben 'developing' these WRs?? 

One can point to several factors for their success, but there has been only one constant factor in their development, and that is Ben. The media try to point to the Steelers being phenomenal drafters of WRs, and maybe that does play a small part, but until Ben gets his 'claws' in them, as developing them as #1/#2  WRs, they really are not that special, IMO. 

AB can ' prepare' until the cows come home, but if the Raiders' QBOTF does not develop that bond with him, he can only be as good as his QB let's him be. And he'll never admit it, because he's too hung up on his ' brand', and too self-hyped and selfish, but he's going to realize that he's made a big mistake... I don't care how good AB is this year...he would have been BETTER as a Steeler...

Sorry, off-topic their on a tangent... but my point is, if this kid is smart, he'll take to whatever Ben tells him to, and I hope Tomlin, the WR coach, and even Colbert is smart enough to challenge this kid, and tell him that he can be even better than AB next season, if he humbles himself to live, breathe, and eat any and every thing that comes out of Ben's mouth. I know I would, if I was Diontae Johnson... I would hang on every word that comes out of Ben's mouth-- he does that, and he'll out-produce AB...he could even conceivably do it this season, depending.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

I saw a lot more quickness and explosion when I watched the arrogant piece of crap than I do with Johnson.  Hopefully Johnson proves to be a good one.  They drafted a dud last year in Washington, and I wonder if they did the same thing this year.  I hope not.

11 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I saw a lot more quickness and explosion when I watched the arrogant piece of crap than I do with Johnson.  Hopefully Johnson proves to be a good one.  They drafted a dud last year in Washington, and I wonder if they did the same thing this year.  I hope not.

As a prospect, or as the best...the #1 WR in the NFL, and er go, one of the most confident WRs in the league?

I am not saying you are wrong... I am legitimately asking which Antonio Brown you are comparing, because if it's the latter, than yeah, sure... several years in an NFL Strength and Conditioning program, coupled with the his league standing, I would certainly hope he looked like he had more burst, explosion, and quickness.

And I am not so sure that Washington is a dud...

16rec 167yds 10.4ypc 26yds long 0 tds

16rec 217yds 13.6ypc 47yds long 1 tds

The top is AB's first year with Wallace as the #1, the 2nd is Washington with AB as the #1...and I, there was this other Juju dude in the offense, as well. 😎

I know what you are saying though...it seemed as if the reports coming out about Washington we're not kind, but remember... Washington accumulated 129 yds in two of the final 3 games if the season...the final game accumulating 64 yes in AB's absence.

• Like 1

blind optimism is rampant the day after the draft is complete(for all teams fans)

all you really have to do is look back at the last 10 years of drafts and see that the steelers average around 2 starters and a couple backups  per draft

so i would would say bush starts this year, johnson next and ill say buggs in 2 years, throw in a couple that make the roster and a couple on ps