so what would you grade the draft? (Poll added above OP!)

3rivers

Grade The 2019 Draft  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What Grade Would You Pick

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F.... IRE TOMLIN AND COLBERT NOW

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2020 at 05:00 AM

I give it a B. They were proactive in getting Bush which I liked. Supposedly there were two other teams that wanted to trade up but I can't remember who they are. Elway wanted a first rounder for next season but KC said no. I'm glad he was able to get the deal done with what they offered. I would like to see Bush create some turnovers at the next level.

I wasn't enthused at the Johnson selection. Then again I wasn't enthused with the JuJu pick, not the player, since I thought they could wait a round to draft a WR. I happily ate crow with that opinion. So I hope it continues. I do like his open field running. He sure does look like AB in that regards. Being a returner is an added bonus as well.

I like the Layne selection even though the Steelers have done a crappy job developing CBs. He could be a steal.

I like Snell. Would have preferred a round later but he gives the team a hard nosed runner who can give Conner some rest. Then again Tomlin hardly give the backup any reps during games so I hope that changes this season to preserve Conner who has an injury history.

Gentry intrigues me. Another player I rather have them wait to draft but if can develop to be a solid #2 that would be nice.

The later LBs don't do much for me. Buggs can be a backup DL and hopefully he will actually make the team unlike Frazier last season. Gray might be a versatile backup OL.

I was very surprised they didn't make any other trades with all the picks they had. I would have liked to have seen them be even more aggressive. 9 picks aren't going to make the team. I'm disappointed they didn't draft a safety or EDGE. The depth at safety isn't good at all. Davis needs to show more and create more turnovers at FS and I would have liked to have seen his replacement drafted somewhere. Tomlin says that Hilton and Sutton could play there but I'm not sure that is the answer.

Edited by Livewire

18 hours ago, oksteeler said:

Overall I would give this draft an A-..

4) Snell was drafted a bit early, especially when we needed a better #2 TE. This mistake will leave us looking for June 1 cuts imo.

5) This would have been a fine spot to take Snell or whoever they liked at running back. I too prefer a change of pace back or someone that would offer a different skill set (like maybe a great pass catcher). I would have loved a Rodney Anderson pick here. He's injury prone, but one of the best backs in the country when healthy. Would have even taken Holyfield.

This is really, the only item I disagree with regarding your take...

... I have come around to the conclusion that was mentioned, actually, by the Giants' GM in Peter King's post-draft column... that once a GM tries to be 'cute' about not picking the guy they want, they often regret it, because they end up missing out...

If they valued Snell higher than, say Moreau, then grab him while you can, because honestly? We may not want to admit it, but Connor is injury-prone, and missing out on his contribution the final few weeks hurt our offense;. I have no issue with replacing Bell with multiple backs with similar profiles, and Snell provides us with that insurance , IMO.

I really liked the Snell pick, and if what they say is true about his underrated pass-through ability, then we got a great deal, imo.

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

This is really, the only item I disagree with regarding your take...

... I have come around to the conclusion that was mentioned, actually, by the Giants' GM in Peter King's post-draft column... that once a GM tries to be 'cute' about not picking the guy they want, they often regret it, because they end up missing out...

If they valued Snell higher than, say Moreau, then grab him while you can, because honestly? We may not want to admit it, but Connor is injury-prone, and missing out on his contribution the final few weeks hurt our offense;. I have no issue with replacing Bell with multiple backs with similar profiles, and Snell provides us with that insurance , IMO.

I really liked the Snell pick, and if what they say is true about his underrated pass-through ability, then we got a great deal, imo.

I agree with you on this. There was only 2 rbs picked total in the 1st 2 rounds. In the 3rd and 4th round the rb run went and if we didn't take Snell in the 4th i doubt he is there in the early 5th. I also like him quite a bit more than any rb drafted after him so the pick validates itself imo

22 hours ago, jebrick said:

At best, Gentry can become a Jimmy Graham type TE.  Big, non-blocking TE that is a seam target.  The Steelers generally do not like that type of TE

I don't see him being anywhere near the class of Jimmy Graham and his production has dropped (in my humble opinion) consistently from year to year due to injury, team, scheme or a little of all combined.  In my humble opinion, I would be ecstatic if he reached Jessie James status within a few years. I don't see him as being anything close to a starting caliber TE or someone that we could depend on if the starter got hurt in the blocking or passing game. I know that is somewhat unfair, at this point, but I don't see his ceiling as being much more than what Xavier Grimble is right now.  I hope I am dead wrong in my early assessments of Zach.  Not hating on the player, but just someone that I feel they could have done a better job in addressing the position with a veteran free agent (which still may happen) or as many have already stated, taking a better prospect that was available like LSU's Moreau.

• Like 1

at least the got some legit picks and they added depth.  Like many I never cared for giving up as much as they did for moving up but if Bush excels thats a good move. His leadership alone is what the team needs on D.   I thought they would have got a safety in the draft, and considering the Gentry dissing here, maybe they should have made everyone happy and went with safety there. 

Just for the record, those here that give this draft a bad grade, what did you give last years:o

I love reading the scouting reports on Justin Layne. I'm pretty certain that nobody actually knows how to scout CB (the Steelers definitely don't lol). One reports says he's a zone guy, the next says that's his worst trait and that he is a press man guy, the next says he's a bump and run guy, on and on. This should point out to fans that the draft is a crapshoot. I do like the pick, though, and I think he'll be a really good player soon. I've never been this excited about a Steelers drafted CB.