7[226]: Ty Summers [ILB; TCU]

Packerraymond

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

White, blue or purple - it reads the same to me:

Although Summers has many strengths in his game there is one glaring weakness: in his covering ability.

Summers struggled when he had to drop back in man coverage as he lacks a natural feel for covering an offensive player one on one.

This flaw in his game will likely limit the amount of snaps Summers will play at the next level as his best value in passing situations comes when he is being used to blitz. 

We have 2 cover guys in Burks and Josh Jones that can play in the dime package if need be if coverage really is still a concern for our LBs. But I still feel he isn't that bad at it.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Based on what I've read, hell of an athlete, good interior blitzer and reliable tackler but he's lost in coverage.

I read good in coverage poor form tackler.

Read enough about a player and you’ll find something you hate and love, something positive and negative about the same trait.

Convinced most of these experts are no better than you and I. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I read good in coverage poor form tackler.

Read enough about a player and you’ll find something you hate and love, something positive and negative about the same trait.

Convinced most of these experts are no better than you and I. 

speak for yourself, neither of us are a gymrat;)

• Like 2

Nick Farabaugh:  TCU ILB Ty Summers is a really solid coverage ILB. His instincts and awareness coupled with quickness allow him to really be a great stopgap over the middle. Dude is one of the stickier ILBs I’ve seen, there’s rarely any separation when he’s on a guy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, "draft good athletes" is not news for this team, every GM of this team, other than Sherman, in the last 25 years has done that.  It's just that we, the fans, have more sophisticated tool for evaluating athletic profiles, I'm just curious if the Packers (and other teams) now use more sophisticated analytics, and if so - how much more sophisticated?

I think both RAS and SPARQ are *close* approximations based on the data of whom certain teams draft

17 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

What are their qualifications?   Some guy willing to have  web site made, with no history in scouting the nfl?   30 year scout?  It matters.  Bon Jour.

For every site you post others could post with the exact opposite conclusion.

What are yours ? If a link was posted with positive reviews you'd be fine with it ? Do the guys who write positive reviews for all Packer picks have more qualifications ?  What are we doing here then ? Auf Wiedersehen

Edited by cannondale

2 hours ago, hitnhope said:

What are their qualifications?   Some guy willing to have  web site made, with no history in scouting the nfl?   30 year scout?  It matters.  Bon Jour.

For every site you post others could post with the exact opposite conclusion.

Ok then do it.

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

What are yours ? If a link was posted with positive reviews you'd be fine with it ? Do the guys who write positive reviews for all Packer picks have more qualifications ?  What are we doing here then ? Auf Wiedersehen

Do you really think that these talking heads are more qualified to scout players than the professionals working for teams and have done it for years?   

Really?     It should be patently obvious to all watching and reading.   It is fun to read and listen to all of this stuff pre-draft.    To think this prepares you to make concrete opinions based on them is ridiculous.   If you've watched multiple game tapes and arrived at a conclusion at least you can talk from a point of some knowledge.  Even that leaves you far short of the information available to NFL teams.

It is fine to question these picks if you want.  To speak in absolutes and pretend you know better than the NFL teams conducting the draft is delusional.  I have questions about the pick as well.  You won't hear me speak definitively because I simply don't have enough information.

What I do know from watching several games is that this guy is very good playing the run,  plays hard, causes the opposing team problems,  and sometimes seems to lack some moves in pass rush.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Ok then do it.

Read the thread.  They are right here.   Do your own homework.   I could find opposing opinions on just about every player in the draft.  If you can't do the same you are looking at only one opinion.

On 4/27/2019 at 6:32 PM, cannondale said:

White, blue or purple - it reads the same to me:

Although Summers has many strengths in his game there is one glaring weakness: in his covering ability.

Summers struggled when he had to drop back in man coverage as he lacks a natural feel for covering an offensive player one on one.

This flaw in his game will likely limit the amount of snaps Summers will play at the next level as his best value in passing situations comes when he is being used to blitz. 

So basically he's Jake Ryan ish. I can live with that.