Jump to content

Packers UDFA Class


Recommended Posts

 

Quote

Tracy (5-11, 184) made 29 of 33 field goal attempts and all 42 extra points for LSU last season. He was second in the FBS in made field goals and 10th in field goal percentage. He also tied a school record with a career-long 54-yard field goal and hit the game-winner against LSU.

Bringing in a kicker that's prone to beating himself. Gotta love it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, if you kick the field goal through the wrong uprights that is a safety (and a much more difficult kick).

That's really a rule? Lol. That's hilarious that this is a thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PackerLegend said:

Im not sure of the reasoning, maybe someone can fill me in. With all the UDFAs for each team, why cant they just go back to a draft with more rounds like the draft used to be years ago?

Because the draft is now a televised event that already takes too long that relatively few people understand. Like preseason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PackerLegend said:

Im not sure of the reasoning, maybe someone can fill me in. With all the UDFAs for each team, why cant they just go back to a draft with more rounds like the draft used to be years ago?

Some might argue  the advantages of being an UDFA and being able to go where you want to go to compete vs being drafted in the 7th round.

NFLPA wants to limit the number of drafted players that are coming to take the jobs from veterans vs rookies.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding more rounds would also hurt the value of the draft as a television product too.  Honestly, they could delete the 7th round and little would be lost.  Guys would rather pick their destination than be a 9th round draft pick anyway.  Draft just needs to be long enough to serve its purpose in "promoting parity" and no longer.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Adding more rounds would also hurt the value of the draft as a television product too.  Honestly, they could delete the 7th round and little would be lost.  Guys would rather pick their destination than be a 9th round draft pick anyway.  Draft just needs to be long enough to serve its purpose in "promoting parity" and no longer.

agreed.  It is 8 rounds with the 32 comp picks that are awarded each year.  just not listed as an "8th round".

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Adding more rounds would also hurt the value of the draft as a television product too.  Honestly, they could delete the 7th round and little would be lost.  Guys would rather pick their destination than be a 9th round draft pick anyway.  Draft just needs to be long enough to serve its purpose in "promoting parity" and no longer.

I think you are on to something with the idea that players are all free agents after the draft and teams are free to make their case and bid up with cash and players are free to vote with their feet. I love the way that GB gives the bubble nod to a couple UFAs every year just to show that they are a reasonable destination. Our improving depth hurt us a bit and we needed to sweeten the cash pot to land at least one of our UFAs this year. Seven rounds is great for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

3yr $1.755 million dollar contract for a UDFA rookie?! Maybe I'm crazy but that seems way off. 

Question to ask yourself- how much of it does he see if he gets cut after training camp?  My guess is "the $7,000 he was already given." 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

Question to ask yourself- how much of it does he see if he gets cut after training camp?  My guess is "the $7,000 he was already given." 

I was under the impression UDFA rooks only got like $45,000. I've never seen one with a multi year deal up in the 7 figures. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

3yr $1.755 million dollar contract for a UDFA rookie?! Maybe I'm crazy but that seems way off. 

That's what he'll make if he's on the 53 man roster for 3 straight years. 

The main point was that both Bolton and Roberts got decently sized UDFA bonuses, and Roberts had part of his base salary guaranteed. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy had 13 sacks in a 13 game stretch before blowing out his knee in 2018. Came back this year and Herm essentially told him he was too small and he had no use for him so he left the team for train for the NFL. 6'3 215 pass rusher, so massively undersized but I love that we're taking the shot on him, was one of my sleepers as a UDFA when I saw some cutups back around Jan/Feb. He's got some speed/bend.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This guy had 13 sacks in a 13 game stretch before blowing out his knee in 2018. Came back this year and Herm essentially told him he was too small and he had no use for him so he left the team for train for the NFL. 6'3 215 pass rusher, so massively undersized but I love that we're taking the shot on him, was one of my sleepers as a UDFA when I saw some cutups back around Jan/Feb. He's got some speed/bend.

Hmm. I'm interested to see how he lines up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...