2019 Draft Recap

RaidersAreOne

What are your first impressions of this class?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What are your first impressions of this class?

• I LOVE it. Best draft in a long time!
    • It's good. I'm happy Mayock is in charge.
    • Meh. Would have done things differently but not the worst.
    • I'm pretty disappointed. How did we mess this up?
    • Go - yourself Mayock!

This draft is a mixed bad for me. 

I get the approach, but don't care for the value. I am a big Ferrel guy since day one of the process and think he will be great. But it was a little rich and the pick was desperate given they needed edge. It's the result of what happens when don't address a position in FA, you force things.

Jacobs - I like the player, but not over bigger needs. Could they have got him as 27 or 35? The next RB didn't go until 40. Bears got Montgomery in the 3rd. Taking Sweat here would have been the smarter move. Abram, similar feeling.

However Day 1 they drafted 3 starters. The question is, are these guys just guys or can they develop into pro bowl type talents?

Day 2 you want to find staters for next year. I think they did that with Mullen.

Day 3 is where you can buy high an traits and potential and they nailed that. Crosby has some terrific tools, just need a year in an NFL training program. Foster tested athletically as well as the top TEs. Renfro is a guy who just produced and you hope that translates to the next level.

Still missing some key pieces at LB. That is a problem that just continues to not go away.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Still missing some key pieces at LB. That is a problem that just continues to not go away.

No doubt but the LB class was weak. The 2 starting caliber off ball LBs went in the top 10 and there was nothing to get excited about after them.

Still a lot of needs going into 2020. This year will be interesting to see how things develop. Guessing we'll be looking at Edge, LB, Oline, TE as the main needs spots a year from now.

After it was all over, glad they didn't go WR early. Next years class has a chance to be insane. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Not sure about pumped. Most likely people would still complain because the Raiders didn't take their guy.

I think Ferrell, Sweat, and Jacobs would have most here pretty happy.  Nobody dislikes Ferrell we just dislike where we got him.  Just read an article stating that we wanted to trade back to Dolphins pick and then take Ferrell which is within the range I thought he should go in also. Getting Sweat at 24 would seem like good value and balance out Ferrell at 4.  I would not have taken Jacobs until 35 but I am not going to complain about 27.  Looking at each pick by itself I would have some problems but as a whole I would give those three a B/B+.  We all know that the team will not take our guy every time but we get upset when we take someone way out of what we perceive to be that players draft range.  Ferrell was a 12-16 player.  Many have said it is because he is not a flashy player and I would say you are right.  Prospects that deserve to be taken top 5 should jump off the screen.  Bosa, Q, and White do that and where all productive with high upside.  Their downsides are minimal.  Bosa's injury was not significant and he played it safe.  Q played one year at DT but clearly the best player in the draft. White has poor instincts but is a converted RB still learning to play the game.  He is Myles Jack without any injury concerns and is more explosive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Still a lot of needs going into 2020. This year will be interesting to see how things develop. Guessing we'll be looking at Edge, LB, Oline, TE as the main needs spots a year from now.

After it was all over, glad they didn't go WR early. Next years class has a chance to be insane. 

Don’t forget Carrs on the hotseat this year. Still a lot of holes to fill if Carr doesn’t live up to the hype. QB, TE, G possibly, LB, and definitely need another EDGE. I still think EDGE is our biggest need even after Ferrell. TE is a close second. 

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

This should put a lot of the BS to bed. We tried to trade down but there weren't takers. So we stuck to our board and took the 2nd best pure End in the draft.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/29/raiders-wanted-to-trade-down-from-no-4-but-the-phone-never-rang/

What BS? That was pretty obvious no? 

My argument would be, why not draft value then draft up if you wanted Ferrell? 

And that dream scenario with Miami tells you how much they think of their team. That will be a high pick next year. Miami's GM played this draft well.

Edited by big_palooka

36 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

What BS? That was pretty obvious no? 

My argument would be, why not draft value then draft up if you wanted Ferrell? 

And that dream scenario with Miami tells you how much they think of their team. That will be a high pick next year. Miami's GM played this draft well.

i think everyone would have been considered a reach at that point or didn't fit

MLB at 4, reach.

280lb DT, reach

3-4 olb, doesn't fit

TE reach

any other DE, reach

• Like 1

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

However Day 1 they drafted 3 starters. The question is, are these guys just guys or can they develop into pro bowl type talents?

We need talent across the board and in this draft, we couldn't really afford to miss considering the players we gave up to get those extra picks. Mayock went with guys that probably won't ever be elite but should all be at least average to above average players. In a major rebuild, it's nice to have star talent but you also need good young players on rookie contracts in order to sustain a good team. Ideally Ferrell, Jacobs, Mullens, and Abram will be okay to good starters and we can swing for the fences in the first round next year. 

47 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We need talent across the board and in this draft, we couldn't really afford to miss considering the players we gave up to get those extra picks. Mayock went with guys that probably won't ever be elite but should all be at least average to above average players. In a major rebuild, it's nice to have star talent but you also need good young players on rookie contracts in order to sustain a good team. Ideally Ferrell, Jacobs, Mullens, and Abram will be okay to good starters and we can swing for the fences in the first round next year. 

You have had a real change of heart since Thursday. You called our picks a joke, all reaches and graded them a C—. Now you are saying we couldn’t afford to miss on any of them.