2019 Draft Recap

RaidersAreOne

What are your first impressions of this class?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What are your first impressions of this class?

• I LOVE it. Best draft in a long time!
    • It's good. I'm happy Mayock is in charge.
    • Meh. Would have done things differently but not the worst.
    • I'm pretty disappointed. How did we mess this up?
    • Go - yourself Mayock!

It's wait and see how the players pan out, but i think we adressed a lot of roster issues this offseason, and liked how we attacked it. 

I would have given up a 6th and trade for Quinn at DE, and would have signed an extra fa rb (I'm not a fan of drafting a rb in the 1st).

As for the draft it would have been nice if we had gotten a good value trade down at 4 but looking at the lack of trades there probably was no good value on the table. And it looks lije Gruden talked to much with his brother, which cost us a 1st round DE.

• Like 1

Clelin Ferrrell, DE

Grade: D

Low upside pick that I can’t ever see becoming a pro bowler.  Not what I want with a top 5 pick, see him more as a late 1st player.  Love the character and I’ll be rooting for him but really disappointing.

Josh Jacobs, RB

Grade: B

LOVE the player and I think he has a chance of becoming an all pro.  However, it’s still a RB in R1  so hard for me to give it more than a B.

Jonathan Abrams, SS

Grade: C

Another incredibly fun player to watch and I love what he brings to the team.  However, I just see him as a box safety which is another poor use of a 1st round pick, especially after seeing where the other safeties fell to.

Trayvon Mullen, CB

Grade: B+

Solid value at a position of need.

Maxx Crosby, Edge

Grade: A-

Love this pick and we finally get a high upside player.  I had a 2nd on him.  Elite athlete with great production and really good hand usage already.  Still really young and has a ton of room to grow

Isaiah Johnson, CB

Grade: B+

Doesnt really know what he’s doing yet but this is a great spot to take a shot on a CB with his traits.

Hunter Renfrow, WR

Grade: C+

I was more upset with this pick at the time given that Kelvin Harmon, Stanley Morgan JR, and Emmanuel Hall were available but after seeing those guys fall I’m not upset anymore.  Still, this seems like a pick that guy would make who only watches the big college games on Saturdays.  Total Gruden pick that I don’t see working out but it’s a 5th so not a big deal

Overall: C+

Like the emphasis on character for a rebuilding team and I think a lot of these guys will stick around on the roster.  However, it’s hard to have 3 1st round picks and come away with a low ceiling pass rusher, a RB, and a box safety.  Wish we sacrificed some character/floor for upside.

Edited by Chwf3rd25
  • Like 1

Overall really happy with how things played out. I was a little disappointed with our first round initially, but I feel very differently on reflection after understanding the rationale behind what Mayock was trying to achieve in his first draft. I am fully on board with the idea of bringing in high character leaders to try and change the culture. If that means we lost in value a touch, so be it. Listening to the 3 guys speak so maturely and well during their presser, you could see what type of person Mayock is trying to bring in. And they are good football players, who will make our team better day 1.

Also really like the Crosby and Johnson picks as more upside choices to counter balance the safer earlier picks. 

It is a different feeling from what I have been used to after a draft and although I'm sure there will be detractors, I would strongly argue that in Mayock, we have a competent GM who held firm to his vision and got exactly what he wanted. It seems too, that he has been able to work well with Gruden. It doesn't look, on the surface at least like he was just a glorified scout as some people claimed.

Time will tell if this approach is right, but I feel pretty confident that we will be much better with him at the helm.

There's something Eisen said a few times throughout the draft that made a lot of sense to me. Everyone used to take Mayock's opinions to heart when on NFLN and considered him the best draft analyst out there. If he was still doing the show and banging the table for Ferrell, people would be loving the pick at #4 and not doubting the Raiders at all. Now since he is the one actually making the picks, people are doubting him hard and calling the pick horrible.

It's so funny to see people's opinions change. I think Ferrell is going to be great.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It's so funny to see people's opinions change. I think Ferrell is going to be great.

He was the safest and cleanest edge prospect in the draft. A lot of people were calling for a trade down but there's no guarantee that he would've been on the board for us later in the round. I saw a ton of mock drafts that had Ferrell going as high as #8 to the Detroit Lions. We need edge help, bad, we needed to add a sure-fire starter there. After Bosa was off the board who else can you honestly say is a plug and play starter from this edge class? Gary has the tools but was a nonfactor at Michigan, Burns has the tools but is a speed rusher that needs to add weight and get stronger, Allen is a 3-4 OLB, and while I would've loved to add Sweat who knows how serious that hear issue will be. 

• Like 2

4. Clelin Ferrell - DE - Clemson
People are saying he was over drafted. I don't see it that way. Ferrell is going to be an elite run defender from day 1 while contributing 6-9 sacks as a rookie. He is a perfect fit at a position of need. You look at the next rest of the picks rounding out the top 10 and I can't see anyone surefire that I project as a better pro the Ferrell. He was the #2 player on my Board when we picked at 4 (Devin White #1). I would have likedna trade back but maybe no one in the top 10 wanted to give fair compensation.
Grade B+

24. Josh Jacobs - RB - Alabama
I think Josh Jacobs is an excellent fit for Gruden. He reminds me of Lev Bell for a whole lot less money over the next 4 years. He is a strong runner between the tackles. Has above average speed. Has great hands outta the back field. He can pass pro. He is a prototypical Jon Gruden Running Back. He has amazing potential to take this offense to the level. My #2 player on the board at pick 24 (Greedy Williams was #1)
Grade: A

27. Johnathan Abrams - SS - Mississippi State
I think he will play a Rotational 3rd safety role this year when Joyner drops into the slot. I don't think the raiders pick up Joseph's option and Abrams is his eventual replacement. He will also contribute day one as a special team gunner. He is a hitter. He plays man coverage pretty well. Needs to work on playing in zone. He can guard TEs like the raiders need. He is a great blitzing DB. He is a missle on the field. Needs to control that to not get penalized. Was my #5 player on the board at 27
Grade: B+

40. Trayvon Mullen - CB - Clemson
I am a huge fan of Trayvon. He is a day 1 starter next to Gareon Conley. He was my #3 CB on my big board behind Greedy and Baker. (Baker went #30 to Giants. Greedy was still on the board at 40) at 40 the value is amazing. He is a true lock down corner. His production is low because his man was always covered. He is going to be a day 1 stud. He fills the final piece of our secondary. Conely and Mullen will emerge as one of the top CB duos in the league in the coming years. Joyner as the Nickel with alot of depth behind them.
Grade: A+

106. Maxx Crosby - DE - Eastern Michigan
I don't know enough about him as a player. I know people we mocking him in the second. So i feel like the value is there at 106. He could be a rotational piece since we are so thin at DE. I read he is am amazing athlete who has good technique but really needs to bulk up. Hit the weights boy!
Grade: B- (Value based on mock drafts)

129. Isaiah Johnson - CB - Houston
I don't know enough about him as a player. Gruden and Mayock said they were considering trading back into the back half of the 3rd round. Then on The Call gruden said they were considering him at 40. At 129 the staff views him as great value. Ex WR who plays CB. Needs time to adjust into the position more. But he is a great athlete.
Grade: C (Value based)

137. Foster Moreau - TE - LSU
Might be my favorite pick we made. He was my TE4 (Hockenson. Fant, Smith Jr). I think he was criminally underutilized at LSU. He had the Geoge Kittle like potential. In Jon Gruden's TE friendly system. I think give Moreau a year as a rotational backup and a year with TE coach Frank Smith and next year he will be a break out player for Carr.
Grade: A+

149. Hunter Renfrow - WR - Clemson
All I know about Renfrow is that he torched Alabama is bith national championship games. He is a gamer. Gruden is modeling this franchise based on how he observed the Patriots we ran. I think Renfrow is a flier to make the final 53 in a crowded WR room. And maybe give Nelson and Grant a run for the starting Slot WR. He has small hands but they had so solid. Best hands in the draft.
Grade: B-

230. Quentin Bell - DE - Prairie View A&M
I got nothing. But we need DE
Grade: Incomplete.

Overall I think Mayock's first draft was an absolute Home Run. Got their guys in the first 2 rounds. Safe players with high character and leaders. In the later rounds they took players with potential to develop. The main theme of Day 3 was all the picks had Elite Traits that need to be developed. I am excited moving forward. If we can get quality contributions from 4 players along with the draft from last year we are moving in the right direction.

It. Is. All. On. Carr. Now!

Overall Draft Grade: A-

This was a bad year to have the 4th pick. There were two elite players in the draft, and after they were both gone, and after Mayock couldn't trade down, he was screwed. So he addressed the Raiders biggest need by selecting arguably the 2nd best true edge to help with the lack of pash rush that posters were so concerned about. Now posters are concerned about value for the pick. After Bosa and Williams were picked, you could throw a dart at a dart board with pictures of players who had arguably the same value as Ferrell at 4. Mayock did what was best for the team at 4 and addressed the Raiders biggest need. I don't see why posters are so upset about the "value" of the pick.

• Like 2

Solid draft imo. I like most if not all of the picks. Just don’t think we got full value for the players we picked in the 1st round.

Always thought Ferrell was a better fit for a Guenther defense but worry he is always going to be judged as a top 5 pick and doubt whether he will produce on that level. He looks like he is a complimentary pass rusher rather than the main man. Still think   pass rush is going to be a problem this year.

Thought we could have manipulated the draft and taken Jacobs at #27 also.

Abram gives us the option of playing big Nickel more, will be interesting to see how he does. I worry that he isn’t a good enough cover guy and will be just be a in the box safety. 

Mullen pick is my favorite tbh.

I like all the gambles after round 1... I'll go for potential with traits than jags who will stick as depth.... if we hit on a few of those guys with our first, we would have a great draft

I honestly just hated being so needy for our weaknesses. Ferrell might be a solid 6-8 sack guy, we really needed a defensive cornerstone since we traded Mack. would be nice to have a guy with potential to dominate ala Oliver, Q sucks we didn't get one of them and just signed a vet DE... I have no doubt Jacobs will be a stud for the next 6-8 years at a big hole, but the value of RB... other good RBs didn't start going off the board until 3rd round.... everything else I like

Edited by Humble_Beast

The thing people don't realize with Ferrell is how good of a pass rusher he was/is/will be. They just see his limited bend and think "Oh damn he must be super one dimensional". Wrong. He is athletic enough, has an extremely high motor, has immense football IQ and his technique is second only to Bosa. He is a day-one, instant impact player.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I like all the gambles after round 1... I'll go for potential with traits than jags who will stick as depth.... if we hit on a few of those guys with our first, we would have a great draft

I honestly just hated being so needy for our weaknesses. Ferrell might be a solid 6-8 sack guy, we really needed a defensive cornerstone since we traded Mack. would be nice to have a guy with potential to dominate ala Oliver, Q sucks we didn't get one of them and just signed a vet DE... I have no doubt Jacobs will be a stud for the next 6-8 years at a big hole, but the value of RB... other good RBs didn't start going off the board until 3rd round.... everything else I like

How do you know we didn't get one? Has he played one NFL snap yet?

20 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The thing people don't realize with Ferrell is how good of a pass rusher he was/is/will be. They just see his limited bend and think "Oh damn he must be super one dimensional". Wrong. He is athletic enough, has an extremely high motor, has immense football IQ and his technique is second only to Bosa. He is a day-one, instant impact player.

So this