2019 Draft Recap

RaidersAreOne

What are your first impressions of this class?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What are your first impressions of this class?

• I LOVE it. Best draft in a long time!
    • It's good. I'm happy Mayock is in charge.
    • Meh. Would have done things differently but not the worst.
    • I'm pretty disappointed. How did we mess this up?
    • Go - yourself Mayock!

9 minutes ago, Dessie said:

You have had a real change of heart since Thursday. You called our picks a joke, all reaches and graded them a C—. Now you are saying we couldn’t afford to miss on any of them. 

When did I say that all of our picks were jokes? The only pick I commented on was the Ferrell pick. 

NYRaider. I think the reasonthe Raiders picked Ferrell over Josh Allen was they felt Ferrell was more mature than  Josh Allen and if you looked at the difrence between the two players when they were first presented themselves on draft night then Ferrell was the hands down winner.  That was the finial interview the players gave before their employers chose them for their team.  Josh allen had his name on material on the inside of his jacket which made him look inmature.  Even if the Raiders thought they were equal in skill the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas next this year after the season.  The Raiders most likely do not want to chance taking a player that they do not feel is mature enough to handle that environment.  If I was drafting a Player to go to Las Vegas I would talk to that players mom as part of my pre-draft   interview and offer to pay mom to come to Las Vegas for a Year and help her son out for the first year [Dad too] Its easy to get into trouble in Vegas and having the players parents to help their Son stay out of trouble  would be a benefit to both the Team and the New player.

Skill Wise its hard to compare a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 OLB.  Josh Allen is a 3-4 OLB the Raiders paly a 4-3 defense.  Its not just rushing the passer its stopping the Run and setting the edge Ferrell is better in those catagories than Allen Allan is the better Pass Rusher.  I also think Ferrell will help out Key and other DE as he will demand more double teams now.  I don't know if he would demand more double teams than Allan just more in general.  

42 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Sharpe would hate on the Raiders no matter what they did. He can't even get his facts straight in this segment. I love how people just gloss over the fact the Raiders have another 1 and 3 from Chicago next year. 

true... wonder what the biggest needs will be for 2020 

• TE? Let's  see how the rookie looks in silver and black
  • G?
  • another DE? who knows
  • LB- likely (Marshall and Vontaze on one year deals)

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Sharpe would hate on the Raiders no matter what they did. He can't even get his facts straight in this segment. I love how people just gloss over the fact the Raiders have another 1 and 3 from Chicago next year. 

Don’t forget about the 20+ million we saved, 

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

true... wonder what the biggest needs will be for 2020 

• TE? Let's  see how the rookie looks in silver and black
  • G?
  • another DE? who knows
  • LB- likely (Marshall and Vontaze on one year deals)

DE will certainly still be a major need even if Ferrell plays well. We could have our bookends for a while if we add another DE early. Crosby and Key as cheap rotational players behind them. 

Sharpe is bringing up some valid points and things I have been saying.  He is leaving out some information also.  He has some good points about the question marks.  

Wilkins >> Hurst

Lawrence >> Hankins

It is not even close.  Even Bryant had a slightly higher grade than Key by NFL.com.  For Ferrell to justify his draft slot he needs to duplicate his value and stats from Clemson with a huge leap in competition while decrease the skill of his teammates on the line.  I still like Ferrell but I do not think he has a realistic shot at becoming who we need him to be.

18 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Sharpe is bringing up some valid points and things I have been saying.  He is leaving out some information also.  He has some good points about the question marks.  

Wilkins >> Hurst

Lawrence >> Hankins

It is not even close.  Even Bryant had a slightly higher grade than Key by NFL.com.  For Ferrell to justify his draft slot he needs to duplicate his value and stats from Clemson with a huge leap in competition while decrease the skill of his teammates on the line.  I still like Ferrell but I do not think he has a realistic shot at becoming who we need him to be.

What about the part where they all could be overrated from playing with eachother. Wilkins and Lawrence better than Hurst and Hankins not even close? Man please they haven't even played a single down in the pros yet.

Edited by raidr4life

On 4/27/2019 at 11:20 PM, Roninho said:

And it looks lije Gruden talked to much with his brother, which cost us a 1st round DE.

Yep it's why we should have taken Sweat @ 24 but I think that's where Gruden pushed Mayock. Philly jumped ahead of us and didn't take Jacobs so he should have slid to 27 easily. I thought Sweat was going higher once the heart issues were put to rest...

Solid draft but 
I put 'meh' because I would have drafted different. Allen even if he was SAM and played Irvin's old role with the team. Ferrell might have slid to 24 with not working out at combine. If not Sweat and Allen would have excited me. 27 I probably would have gone Greedy who slipped and slipped and slipped as did Metcalf who I also liked...