2019 Draft Recap

RaidersAreOne

What are your first impressions of this class?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What are your first impressions of this class?

• I LOVE it. Best draft in a long time!
    • It's good. I'm happy Mayock is in charge.
    • Meh. Would have done things differently but not the worst.
    • I'm pretty disappointed. How did we mess this up?
    • Go - yourself Mayock!

2 hours ago, G said:

Yep it's why we should have taken Sweat @ 24 but I think that's where Gruden pushed Mayock. Philly jumped ahead of us and didn't take Jacobs so he should have slid to 27 easily. I thought Sweat was going higher once the heart issues were put to rest...

Solid draft but 
I put 'meh' because I would have drafted different. Allen even if he was SAM and played Irvin's old role with the team. Ferrell might have slid to 24 with not working out at combine. If not Sweat and Allen would have excited me. 27 I probably would have gone Greedy who slipped and slipped and slipped as did Metcalf who I also liked...

tbh i have changed my opinion on Gruden talking to much to his brother after reading the piece by peter king on the Raiders draft. According to that article Sweat wasnt their pick to begin with, they wanted Abrams as the #1 option at that pick, not Sweat.

10 minutes ago, Roninho said:

tbh i have changed my opinion on Gruden talking to much to his brother after reading the piece by peter king on the Raiders draft. According to that article Sweat wasnt their pick to begin with, they wanted Abrams as the #1 option at that pick, not Sweat.

Haven't read it but I'll take your word for it. I wanted Sweat and 2 DE's were needed. We got 3 but...2 will need to develop some size and strength first.

• Like 1

I'm not overly worried about perceived value being lost on some of the early picks. If Gruden/Mayock can continue every draft with this much focus, preparation, and confidence, then this team will be built into a winner pretty quickly. There was obviously a plan, and they stayed steady in the execution of it. After last year's collection of misfit toys, this is a breath of fresh air.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, raidr4life said:

What about the part where they all could be overrated from playing with eachother. Wilkins and Lawrence better than Hurst and Hankins not even close? Man please they haven't even played a single down in the pros yet.

I understand both those points but Hurst is not even close to the player Wilkins is coming out and although Hurst showed some ability in his first year I would take college Wilkins over 1 season Hurst.  Lawrence v Hankins is laughable.  Hankins is good but Lawrence is on a whole other level when it comes to NT.  Lawrence will do things that PG wishes Hankins could do.  I would say Lawrence and Wilkins benefited from Ferrell but they were the ones seeing double teams and taking attention away from Ferrell.  Ferrell got 1v1 attention most of the year and even had just the TE to worry about sometimes.  If teams tried to block Lawrence or Wilkins 1v1 they easily won most of the time and that is why you see one of them in on the play on almost all of Ferrell's highlights.  When you watch the games if you try not to focus on anyone it is Ferrell and Wilkins that impress.

if you think about it we did work this draft 

RB- drafted #1ranked (Jacobs)

FB- signed #1ranked(Ingold)

WR- drafted #22 ranked WR(Renfrow) college star and likely slot, and signed a mid round rookie (Doss)

TE- drafted a top ten TE- Moreau

OL- signed 3 OL with potential-  Cotton G, McNeil G, Tyler Roemer OT.... Roemer considered the best undrafted OT by Gil Brant 

DE- drafted a top 3 ranked DE (Ferrell)

Edge-  two edge high potential projects at area of need(Crosby,Bell)

MLB- signed a top 5 MLB(Coney)

CB- a top 5 ranked CB- Mullens, and a top 10 ranked CB- I Johnson

S- drafted #1 ranked SS(Abram)

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

if you think about it we did work this draft 

RB- drafted #1ranked (Jacobs)

FB- signed #1ranked(Ingold)

WR- drafted #22 ranked WR(Renfrow) college star and likely slot, and signed a mid round rookie (Doss)

TE- drafted a top ten TE- Moreau

OL- signed 3 OL with potential-  Cotton G, McNeil G, Tyler Roemer OT.... Roemer considered the best undrafted OT by Gil Brant 

DE- drafted a top 3 ranked DE (Ferrell)

Edge-  two edge high potential projects at area of need(Crosby,Bell)

MLB- signed a top 5 MLB(Coney)

CB- a top 5 ranked CB- Mullens, and a top 10 ranked CB- I Johnson

S- drafted #1 ranked SS(Abram)

Draft rankings are literally meaningless. Being a "top 10" TE for example when there are typically only about 10 drafted total is hardly note worthy.

And these are who's rankings? Because that's is kind of relative here to all of this.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Draft rankings are literally meaningless. Being a "top 10" TE for example when there are typically only about 10 drafted total is hardly note worthy.

And these are who's rankings? Because that's is kind of relative here to all of this.

Rankings just a bench mark used to review draft class for the sake of it... can’t truly rate class until they play the game....  but nothing to talk about until season.... rankings used for nfl draft scout 

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I understand both those points but Hurst is not even close to the player Wilkins is coming out and although Hurst showed some ability in his first year I would take college Wilkins over 1 season Hurst.  Lawrence v Hankins is laughable.  Hankins is good but Lawrence is on a whole other level when it comes to NT.  Lawrence will do things that PG wishes Hankins could do.  I would say Lawrence and Wilkins benefited from Ferrell but they were the ones seeing double teams and taking attention away from Ferrell.  Ferrell got 1v1 attention most of the year and even had just the TE to worry about sometimes.  If teams tried to block Lawrence or Wilkins 1v1 they easily won most of the time and that is why you see one of them in on the play on almost all of Ferrell's highlights.  When you watch the games if you try not to focus on anyone it is Ferrell and Wilkins that impress.

Draft grades Hurst 5.94 Wilkins 6.12 that's pretty close.

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

5.50-5.99 Chance to become a starter

6.00-6.49 Should be instant starter

The classification difference is pretty big.

Hurst pretty much started instantly didn't he, played in 13 games started 10. I'm projecting had Hurst started all 16 he would have had 6 or 7 sacks last season.

Edited by raidr4life

30 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Hurst pretty much started instantly didn't he, played in 13 games started 10. I'm projecting had Hurst started all 16 he would have had 6 or 7 sacks last season.

But why did he start.  Injuries, no talent, and a raw small school rookie got hurt.  I like Hurst and he surprised me but he was not that good.  Knowing what you know now about him after his rookie year where would you draft him in this years draft.  I would have taken him at the end of the first - early 2nd.  Would still draft Wilkins and Lawrence over him.

23 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

But why did he start.  Injuries, no talent, and a raw small school rookie got hurt.  I like Hurst and he surprised me but he was not that good.  Knowing what you know now about him after his rookie year where would you draft him in this years draft.  I would have taken him at the end of the first - early 2nd.  Would still draft Wilkins and Lawrence over him.

Guess we'll see who has the better career.

• Like 1