Bears Plan to Start QB Glennon All Season

Dr LBC

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bears-mike-glennon-planned-starter-for-bears/

The Bears are planning to have Glennon serve as their starting quarterback for all of this season, Rich Campbell of The Chicago Tribune reports.

Glennon's expected starting status comes as no surprise, as general manager Ryan Pace stated back in April that there wouldn't be a quarterback competition between he and rookie Mitch Trubisky. That comes despite Chicago trading up to draft Trubisky second overall this spring. Although such an investment indicates Trubisky will eventually be handed the keys to the franchise, that won't necessarily happen this year.

Definitely the right choice for Trubisky's development; how much faith you have in that is a personal matter.  Guess we're finally going to get to see how legit the Glennon hype was.

This is actually a legitimately smart decision to not play Trubisky. I don't think he ends up being that good either way, but a year developing will certainly help him. And they can pretend like they're trying to compete this year, when really they're just tanking for another good pick to build up their talent base.

Good move. At least we can see once and for all if Glennon has it and Trubisky can take another year or at least 10 games maybe to learn and grow between the ears. Ideally this should be the move for every rookie, just seems so much safer. 

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

They say that now. But if Glennon struggles and da Bears are losing, fans will scream for Trubisky.

Only the meatballs.  Most every fan who is less reactionary than the typical chicago fan will be ok with him sitting.  

8 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

If Glennon does struggle, would think Fox would be quick to pull him just to save his job.

I'm not sure pulling a bad QB you apparently overpaid in favor of a rookie QB you over-drafted is a move that saves your job. Unless of course Trubisky comes out and plays well.

12 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

They say that now. But if Glennon struggles and da Bears are losing, fans will scream for Trubisky.

This. Coaching staff needs to trust their process and not let the mob sway their decisions. I find it very unlikely Trubisky would outplay Glennon at any point this season.

Quite frankly, I'm not generally a fan of throwing a QB into the fire as a rookie.  I think they gain more by learning the system before being thrown to the wolves.  That being said, I seriously doubt the Bears stick with Glennon through the entire season UNLESS Glennon plays really well.  And I'm not anticipating that.  I'd imagine that they'll start to get Trubisky ready around Week 12.

That's the right call, but we'll see if they actually do it. Jags said the same thing and then started Bortles when Henne sucked. If Glennon plays decently, it will make it easier for them to stay true to their word.

Archived