7[238] Bears Draft CB Stephen Denmark

WindyCity

BACKGROUND: A two-star wide receiver recruit out of high school, Stephen Denmark ran track and played football at James S. Rickards. He saw some action at defensive back as a sophomore, but his focus in high school was on offense as a wideout. As a senior, Denmark finished with 49 catches for 851 yards and 12 touchdowns, adding two kickoff returns for scores and earning Second Team All-State honors. He was the No. 337 wide receiver recruit nationally and received interest from FBS programs like Western Kentucky, but that option went away after a coaching change. He received some grayshirt opportunities from FCS-level programs, but chose to sign with Division-II Valdosta State. After four seasons at wide receiver, Denmark made the move to cornerback in spring 2018 and earned a starting role as a senior.

STRENGTHS: Supersized for the position…elite length pays dividends a number of ways…not going to lose many foot races with outstanding recovery speed to quickly make up ground vertically…patient feet with lower body burst…excellent adjustment skills to make plays on the ball once he finds it…posted three interceptions in his one season at corner, returning one 28-yards for a touchdown…stabs in press, using his long arms to cut off routes in their infancy…aggressive nature near the line of scrimmage, showing the demeanor required for run support…after watching his tape, learning he had 8.0 tackles for loss in 2018 wasn’t a surprise…graduated with a degree in psychology.

WEAKNESSES: Upright in his stance with a high center of gravity…struggles to sink and suddenly change directions…wasn’t asked to backpedal and his fundamental transition skills are undeveloped…gives up inside position too easily…inexperienced with his back to the ball and still learning indicators to turn and locate…raw tackling technique and out of control with his attack, overpursuing and falling off his target…only one season of experience on defense and doesn’t have any experience above the Division-II level.

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Valdosta State, Denmark earned the starting left cornerback job as a senior after spending his first four seasons at wide receiver. Despite not playing the position since his sophomore year in high school, he quickly adapted and tied for the team lead with three interceptions, helping lead the Blazers to a perfect 14-0 record in 2018, including capturing the Division-II national championship. Denmark is an impressive height, weight and speed prospect with elite length and promising ball skills at the position. While he is a tall drink of water, his upright, stiff movements hinder his transition skills, leading to balance issues vs. route technicians. Overall, Denmark lacks ideal cornerback experience and is still developing his feel for coverage, but he is too talented to stash on the practice squad, projecting as a developmental prospect for a team that covets length.

• Like 1

Just now, beardown3231 said:

RT @dpbrugler: #Bears draft one of my favorite late round targets this year: Valdosta State CB Stephen Denmark. Love the raw traits. Moved from WR in 2018. 6-2 1/2" 220 pounds with 33 3/8" arms. 4.46 speed and 1.48 10-yard split. Had 12 passes defended, 3 INTs in 2018.

Josh Norris is a really big fan of him as well. Kid tested in the top 98% athletic testing. Those are the guys you draft in the 6-7th rounds

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He seems like a safety

6'3" 220lbs.

4.46 [40]

He also apparently posted a 43.5inch vertical.

IDC whether he's a safety or a corner, he's an athletic freak of nature with massive upside for that late of a pick.

Just now, Epyon said:

He also apparently posted a 43.5inch vertical.

IDC whether he's a safety or a corner, he's an athletic freak of nature with massive upside for that late of a pick.

Or a WR...interesting that's where he moved from...can only imagine this dude on tunnel screens ala Patterson.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

I just watched this dude jam a WR at the LOS and drive him into his team's sideline and over their bench :o

Highlight film from a nearly undrafted prospect is now the thing I never knew I always wanted in my life.... Got a link?

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Lets see if he can make the team on special teams.

Seems destined for the PR, but a freak like this may make it on coverage teams.

I hope he can be a 3 or 4 phase special teams guy so he can make the roster and develop. Athletic profiles like him I always worry about trying to stash on the PS.