Cowboys Full Draft - How do you feel?

Texas_OutLaw7

I find no TE to be really disappointing, especially in a pretty deep draft. Hoping they get a kicker UDFA. 

Favorite pick - Probably Hill. Think RM can work some magic there. 

Least - I guess Pollard,.... just because they missed on Isaiah Johnson and probably could have had Pollard with next pick. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I find no TE to be really disappointing, especially in a pretty deep draft. Hoping they get a kicker UDFA. 

Favorite pick - Probably Hill. Think RM can work some magic there. 

Least - I guess Pollard,.... just because they missed on Isaiah Johnson and probably could have had Pollard with next pick. 

Agree. Also not landing a quality safety is a let down.

12 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Now that all of our picks are in, how do you feel about the draft?

Favorite Pick?

Least?

Most impact year 1?

Favorite Pick: Mike Weber. He’s a very versatile player when healthy. Great game speed, and is a very reliable between-the-tackles runner. If Zeke gets hurt, he can fill in well.

Least Favorite Pick: Tony Pollard. Unless we convert him to WR, I just don’t understand the pick.

Most Impact Year 1: Tony Pollard. He’s a Kellen Moore pick, so I expect he’ll get the luxury of some creative scheming to get him the ball.

3 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

If we landed Suh and Berry I'd be ecstatic.

I heard a few people on the radio saying that Suh has been walking around with a Cowboys jersey, apparently trying to sell himself to them. 

If we signed Berry and Suh, I’d be really happy. They’d be on nice, cheap deals.

• Like 3

I feel like they had a fairly unlucky draft, in that guys after round 2 got poached from their board. But I give them a lot of credit for not panicking. At #90 they were prepared to draft their top grade even though it wasn’t a priority position. At the end of the fourth, they were able to find a trade and not get fleeced.

Hill, McGovern, M Jackson will replace M Collins, L Collins, A Brown in 2020. So you’ve got 3 guys who surely will play a ton of cheap snaps for you on their rookie contracts. Which is huge with the big contracts we are about to give to Dak, Amari, Zeke, Jaylon, and maybe Byron.

Then, in 2021, you likely get back 3rd, 4th, and 5th round comp picks for those players you let walk.

The other picks offer some nice depth and Pollard might actually have a nice impact this year in certain packages. I’m pleased, but not over the moon.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 1

Favorite pick is Jelks. I love the guy and am shocked he fell to the 7th round. 

Least favorite is probably Wilson. Don't see him making the roster. 

If I had to make a guess as to who makes the most impact this year? I'm going with Hill.

Love the Hill pick.  He will allow Collins to walk.

I think Pollard will be a pleasant surprise as a returner and receiver out of the backfield.  

Unless he is a special teams demon I don't know if Wilson makes the club.

I read but don't pay much attention to post draft evaluations.  As per usual let's wait until we see the young men in pads, and look at their contributions after a season or two before we begin assigning grades.

Favorite- We overdrafted on a few of these guys so it's hard to call them favorite. I would say M Jackson considering his ability to possibliy player safety.

Least- McGovern obviously. We should have just rented a couple of guys out of FA. We could have used our picks next year to get some quality Linemen.

Impact- Hard to say, out of Hill, M Jack, and Pollard. I think anyone of them could contribute in a big way. Right now I'm going with Hill, because Jack is still a project. And we don't know if Moore truly is the wiz people make him out to be to get Pollard involved.

Thanks to @Nextyearfordaboyz & @WizardHawk, I decided to dive a bit deeper into the finances.

2nd Round Pick - T. Hill, DT

• M. Collins, FA in 2020, will make 2.2M this year
  • K. Hyder, FA in 2020, Will make 1M this year
  • T. Crawford, FA in 2021. Will make 19M in the next two years. Can be cut or traded and free up 6-7 M per year.
  • A. Woods, ERFA in 2020.
  • Likely replaces Collins & possibly makes Crawford financially expendable.

3rd Round Pick C. McGovern, IOL

• L. Collins, FA in 2020, Will make 10M this year.
  • C. Flemming, Club option in 2020 for 5M.
  • Su'a-Filo, FA in 2020, will make 1M this year
  • J. Looney, FA in 2020, will make 1.6M this year
  • Lilkely lose Collins and possibly up to two back-up OL. 

4th Round Pick T. Pollard, RB/WR/KR/PR

• T. Austin, FA in 2020, will make 1.3M this year
  • A. Hurns, FA in 2020, will make 6.2M this year
  • R. Cobb, FA in 2020, will make 4.5M this year
  • Needed back-up RB.

5th Round Pick M. Jackson, CB

• B. Jones, FA in 2020, will make 6.2M this year
  • A. Brown, FA in 2020, will make 2M this year
  • J. Lewis, FA in 2020, has had trade rumors.

6th Round Pick D. Wilson, S

• J. Heath, FA in 2020, will make 3M this year
  • K. Frazier, FA in 2020, will make 0.7M this year
  • G. Iloka, FA in 2020, will make 0.7M this year

7th Round Pick M. Webber, RB

• No true Back-up RB.

5th Round Pick J. Jackson & 7th Round Pick J. Jelks, DE

• R. Quinn, FA in 2020, Will make 8M this year
  • T. Crawford, FA in 2021. Will make 19M in the next two years. Can be cut or traded and free up 6-7 M per year.
  • T. Charlton, trade rumors. Can be traded June 1st to have a cap savings of 1.3M.

Lots of players will be up next year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Also interesting to note that Pollard views Kamara and Webber thinks of himself as Ingram. Does Zeke get a second contract? 

Obviously it's way, way early and totally dependent on several things...but, he very well may not.