Cowboys Full Draft - How do you feel?

Texas_OutLaw7

10 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Also interesting to note that Pollard views Kamara and Webber thinks of himself as Ingram. Does Zeke get a second contract? 

Unless Weber and Kamara rip through our opponents then there is no reason to think he wouldn't.

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Unless Weber and Kamara rip through our opponents then there is no reason to think he wouldn't.

Wear and tear / along with the opening talks being Gurley's deal seem to imply there has to be some conversation about how much value does Zeke bring vs how much cap space he should command.

But I am also on team RBs can be replaced, so...

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Wear and tear / along with the opening talks being Gurley's deal seem to imply there has to be some conversation about how much value does Zeke bring vs how much cap space he should command.

But I am also on team RBs can be replaced, so...

RB's can be replaced but its ideal to have the replacements and the system in place to make sure you can replace them. We have yet to see what this new offense will bring. If it adds more flavor but more of the same relying on controlling the clock then Zeke is vital.

Just now, Calvert28 said:

RB's can be replaced but its ideal to have the replacements and the system in place to make sure you can replace them. We have yet to see what this new offense will bring. If it adds more flavor but more of the same relying on controlling the clock then Zeke is vital.

Sure. And none of the rookies have even taken a snap. They could all be hot garbage. 

The point is the staff is often times pretty far-sighted about contracts. Unlike Crawfords future, who I think is nearly up, Zeke's has some mystery surrounding it. 

2 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Also interesting to note that Pollard views Kamara and Webber thinks of himself as Ingram. Does Zeke get a second contract? 

I was against drafting an RB, and I’m not a huge fan of signing one to a big contract. That said...

You don’t take a guy at #4, without a plan to sign him long term if he meets/exceeds expectations, which Zeke obviously has.

I’d be stunned if he didn’t get a new contract.

I am giving my objective opinion on your draft. (Opinion)

I don't really like the draft you guys came away with. That said I do really like the Joe Jackson pick, Nice addition there. Felt like he was underrated.

Trysten Hill really feels like a reach and there were better options to be had there.
I am a Penn State fan and alum, in my opinion McGovern is overrated.
Pollard's duo partner Darrell Henderson was my #1 runningback in the draft, didn't think very highly of Pollard though.

Don't know enough about a lot of your late round guys though, none of them were really on my radar for the Eagles to take so I didn't look into them a lot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I was against drafting an RB, and I’m not a huge fan of signing one to a big contract. That said...

You don’t take a guy at #4, without a plan to sign him long term if he meets/exceeds expectations, which Zeke obviously has.

I’d be stunned if he didn’t get a new contract.

Zeke is one of 2/3* runningbacks in the league I'd have no problem signing to a big long term deal. Along with SaQuon and Gurley* depending on the progression of his arthritis. Christian McCaffery may also make a case in the next year or two.

I am whelmed, tbh. Not getting a safety before the end of Round 6 really bites, and I would've expected a little more oomph in the passing game than Tony Pollard if we were going to pass on all the safeties. Not gonna get mad at LOS picks, though. I'll tentatively trust Rod's judgment on our highest drafted DT in ages (though I don't think this team deserves our blind loyalty on DL evaluations, either).

Draft comes down to three separate pairs of picks, IMO:

Hill and McGovern- the clear lynchpins. Maliek and La'el are goners next year, for sure. I'm skeptical of Hill but giving him the benefit of the doubt, I like McGovern but I'm worried about how we're approaching things with the OL. If C-Will is gonna take over for Collins at RT in a year, should he not move over there this offseason? How will that make La'el and his agent feel? Something to watch.

Pollard and Weber- what do each of these guys bring to the offense? The latter refers to himself as Mark Ingram and our COO refers to the former as Alvin Kamara. We also have Ezekiel Elliott. This all feels highly optimistic. Still, we had nothing behind Zeke and these guys could easily be 2 and 3 on the depth chart this year should we not sign anyone else.

Michael and Joe Jackson- two guys from the same school with the same name in the same round. Neat. Obviously as 5th rounders both of these guys have a pretty good chance to make the team, and they play positions (CB and DE) where rotation guys on cheap contracts always have value.

Don't expect much from the Oregon kid, I kinda like the A&M one but not all these guys can make the team. Again, I am whelmed, but you can squint and see some potential value adds for this year and the next few.

I really dig the draft. Love Pollard & honestly JG talked about him for a solid 10 minutes in a 20 minute post-draft press conference. 

They viewed Pollard as a higher importance to them instead of Isiah from Houston and I'm fine with that. All it takes is one team & we can't sit here and say we know what would've happened 100%.

I think pollard has the size and speed to be a mismatch across the board. Weber I feel like is more a core RB that can take the hard carries inside off Zeke ( or replace him amid future uncertainly that might come in contract situations? we never never know). 

Was meh on the Hill pick but fell in love with the tape after and I came to a conclusion my opinion initially didn't have enough film study as I thought I did on him.

I don't really like the Joe Jackson pick, in my opinion he looks like he gives it all but I don't see the speed needed in all aspects of his game for it to translate well into the NFL level.

Really like the Micheal Jackson pick, love his size and speed. He'll fit in here well with Kris Richard's coaching, could be a potential safety candidate.

Don't know much about the safety or tackle we picked so can't talk too much about that. 

This draft has been a mix of future/immediate snaps & we do this every year and thats why we remain competitive year in/out.  

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I am giving my objective opinion on your draft. (Opinion)

I don't really like the draft you guys came away with. That said I do really like the Joe Jackson pick, Nice addition there. Felt like he was underrated.

Trysten Hill really feels like a reach and there were better options to be had there.
I am a Penn State fan and alum, in my opinion McGovern is overrated.
Pollard's duo partner Darrell Henderson was my #1 runningback in the draft, didn't think very highly of Pollard though.

Don't know enough about a lot of your late round guys though, none of them were really on my radar for the Eagles to take so I didn't look into them a lot.

I agree. But this team has a play it safe approach to the draft and so long as the talent works out then to hell with where we draft them. It's worked out for the most part that we tend to hit more on draft picks because we pick who we want a round or 2 where they probably should be. But I agree we miss out on other talent that could be had too. We've done this for years now. We pulled the sam e thing with the Cooper trade, if the player works then damn the costs. 

Until they start drafting poorly then I cant seriously question the draft. But I agree it could have been better. 

Plenty of people killing the Hill pick just like the LVE puck. That pick turned out pretty good I would say. No nothing about Hill but I will trust Mclay and Rod with this pick. I wanted a safety especially with Thornhill being there. McGovern was a surprise pick as it was not a big need but probably will be next season when they let Collins go. Didn’t like the gadget pick in the 4th round either. Weber is a solid pick as he’s an ideal backup for Zeke. Cowboys have been one of the better drafting team the last few years so even though i didn’t like the draft so much time will tell whether it’s good or not.