Cowboys Full Draft - How do you feel?

Texas_OutLaw7

Why would y'all want M. Collins to walk in free agency. As a backup the guy has potential. Plus he wont break the bank. 

Fav pick is Hill and Jelks. McGovern is close as well. 

Least fav is Pollard. But it was hard to pick as i liked all the draft once again.

I will never understand the way NFL teams operate their boards.

Teams would argue that you make decisions based on some measure of marginal and total utility. Which I get, and would actually very much agree with as an asset building strategy.

But I do not understand why they don’t have a board like that in the draft room. It’s a complicated discussion to debate between a player of need vs. a superior player vs. a player who plays a more important position, etc.

So why, then, do they wait until they are on the clock to debate it? That high pressure environment is not conducive to quality analysis decision making. 

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

1 hour ago, cowboysdreamer said:

Didn't the Cowboy's do the same with Fredrick's I'm pretty sure he was ranked in the middle or late second round pick and the Cowboy's got him late in the first round and there was a lot of criticism from fans and writers. 

Everyone says this, but forgets there where mocks that had him going at pick 28th or whatever it was to the Packers. 

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I will never understand the way NFL teams operate their boards.

Teams would argue that you make decisions based on some measure of marginal and total utility. Which I get, and would actually very much agree with as an asset building strategy.

But I do not understand why they don’t have a board like that in the draft room. It’s a complicated discussion to debate between a player of need vs. a superior player vs. a player who plays a more important position, etc.

So why, then, do they wait until they are on the clock to debate it? That high pressure environment is not conducive to quality analysis decision making. 

The Cowboys split players 3 ways.

Vertical - such as you see everywhere. Murray, Bosa, etc etc

Horizontal by round - Such round 1 might have 15 names. Round 2 might have 50 names.

Color - This is the interesting part. Im not 100% on how they code it, but my understanding would be:

Red - Not a fit, probably due to character or major criminal. Not a need position.

Yellow - has flags. Such as injuries or minor character/criminal issues. Wont be an immediate impact.

Green - Perfect fit. Probably a need position.

So for example, Kyler Murray might be #1 player, with a 1st round grade, but be "red" because we dont need a QB. 

The debate comes up when you get to your pick and you have a "yellow" guy rated at #20 vs a "green" guy rated #25. Do you take the highest rated person or the best person for your team?

40 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Everyone says this, but forgets there where mocks that had him going at pick 28th or whatever it was to the Packers. 

The Cowboys split players 3 ways.

Vertical - such as you see everywhere. Murray, Bosa, etc etc

Horizontal by round - Such round 1 might have 15 names. Round 2 might have 50 names.

Color - This is the interesting part. Im not 100% on how they code it, but my understanding would be:

Red - Not a fit, probably due to character or major criminal. Not a need position.

Yellow - has flags. Such as injuries or minor character/criminal issues. Wont be an immediate impact.

Green - Perfect fit. Probably a need position.

So for example, Kyler Murray might be #1 player, with a 1st round grade, but be "red" because we dont need a QB. 

The debate comes up when you get to your pick and you have a "yellow" guy rated at #20 vs a "green" guy rated #25. Do you take the highest rated person or the best person for your team?

That one.

31 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Usually though that coincides.

Almost never would it coincide. Like, we need a DT and that just happens to be the best rated player in the entire draft at that point? Not a runningback, or linebacker, or any other position?

Never happens. 

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Almost never would it coincide. Like, we need a DT and that just happens to be the best rated player in the entire draft at that point? Not a runningback, or linebacker, or any other position?

Never happens. 

We needed a Safety. Best safety by many people was still on the board.

2017 we needed a DE. Best DE on the board and JG decided to go a different way.

2016 we needed a number of things but a RB was chief among them followed closely by QB and Zeke was there. We've been fortunate many years running and sometimes we step on our own foot. Besides if it wasn't for his attitude problem Hill likely would have been a 1st rounder. So the talent was there.

Just now, Calvert28 said:

We needed a Safety. Best safety by many people was still on the board.

2017 we needed a DE. Best DE on the board and JG decided to go a different way.

2016 we needed a number of things but a RB was chief among them followed closely by QB and Zeke was there. We've been fortunate many years running and sometimes we step on our own foot. Besides if it wasn't for his attitude problem Hill likely would have been a 1st rounder. So the talent was there.

You arent understanding. 

Want to reread or have me try to explain a different way?

28 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Never happens. 

Happened with Zeke. We went exactly 1 year without DeMarco Murray, and understood afterwards that we needed a RB to help take the pressure off Romo. Zeke was rated by many the #1 prospect available in the entire draft. At worst he was #3 behind Ramsey and Bosa.

So need met BPA at #4 in 2016, no matter who you had at #1. We needed DE, DB, and RB.

Edited by DaBoys